Will it make things worse?

When in high school…now over 3 decades ago…I wrote about Kennesau and Morton Grove for a final project. I also learned what some other countries did.

Now I would have to include research on what NY has done and why they are having such a huge increase in gun violence this year…According to police there over 80% of the people committing crimes with guns are released back on the streets almost immediately. Why? Bail reform.

I don’t have all the answers but placating criminals is not working.

Taking guns from law abiding citizens is just dumb. If they do all it will do is create othe black market channels for them. Anyone with a 3d printer and some basic firearm and mechanical knowledge can create firearms. Heck you can create single use guns without a 3d printer.

We law abiding citizens need to make our voices heard the best we can.

2 Likes

Related article about India (of all places)… Maybe a precursor of what is to come here…

From the article (which I saw on Reddit):

When the Chaudharys first went into business, there were 150 gun shops in the city. Now there are just 20. “There are so many restrictions on guns now that it’s impossible to do business,” he says. In India, it is legal to own certain types of guns with a license. These licenses are notoriously difficult to get, and involve wading through the bogs of India’s widely feared bureaucracy, and even then probably requires political intervention. “In fact, a politician here comes to power by promising to issue gun licenses for his constituents,” says Girraj Rajoriya, a local journalist from Morena.

Even with a gun license in hand, there are further requirements. For every bullet fired, the empty cartridge must be submitted to the gun shop it was bought from, and the shop then has to submit it to the police. Every month, Chaudhary sends a detailed report to his local police station citing how many weapons he sold, how many bullets were fired, and how many cartridges were returned. The police thus keep track not just of all the firearms in the district, but also all the times they were discharged—which should in theory make it easier to track guns used in the commission of a crime.

^^^ That bit about returning cartridges I found absolutely laughable. Of course the criminals will return with their empty cartridges. Of course they will.

In recent years, the national government has further tightened regulations. In December 2019, it passed the Arms (Amendment) Bill, an update to the Arms Act of 1959. The new law, among other things, restricts possession of arms licenses per person (from three to one), increases the punishment for manufacturing prohibited firearms (including semi- and fully automatic guns) from 14 years to life in prison, and makes celebratory firing at weddings and religious ceremonies a criminal offense. “There was a time when we used to open the shop at 6 in the morning, and stay here until 10 pm at night. We used to have so many customers. But now, we come only at 2 pm in the afternoon, drink some tea and leave,” says Chaudhary. “What’s the point? It’s all empty. There’s no customers. Demand for guns is slowly being stifled.”

Same as what is being attempted here. Make it so uncomfortable to own firearms that it becomes not worth it and in a few generations there are few, if any, left in the hands of the law-abiding.

“Everyone in our village has licensed guns but no one uses licensed guns for firing,” he says. “When they have to fire, they always use ‘No. 2 guns.’” In Chambal, every house is said to have at least one unlicensed “No. 2 gun.” As it gets harder to buy and use legal weapons, it is thought that No. 2 guns are proliferating unchecked, undermining the country’s gun laws and making it harder to investigate gun-based crime. In fact, according to the Small Arms Survey, some 85 percent of firearms in India are unregistered.

Maybe this will indeed be the likely outcome…

Full article →

3 Likes