Will be keeping Gun in car when not able to carry

Zavier, I draw the line on interior cameras. While they’re affordable, and, for the most part, secure, they’re still able to be hacked. It’s one thing to have a stranger looking at the exterior of my house, quite another to be able to listen in to our conversations and watch our comings and goings.

1 Like

I’d recommend looking at Gun Vaults. They come in various sizes and are good for the car. Also, check out Console Vault. They make vults for t eh center console of many vehicles. Another good option,

2 Likes

I 100% agree with you. Our love for technology as a country is dangerous. That and off shoring jobs to China, while letting them hack away with “free apps” has made the world a far more dangerous place.

1 Like

I bought the “bottom of the line” from a top notch security system company. It has a control center box (a simple PC running Linux OS) that plugs into a TV USB port. Once plugged in and configured, I could see all four cameras, or select just one. There was also a way to review the video stored on the control box hard drive. All four cameras communicate with the main box through a frequency hopping (spread spectrum) two-way communication link to its receiver counterpart, each of which must be paired to one camera. So each camera sends a video signal to its receiver that’s plugged into the box’s ports. The box presents these signals to the TV in a classic 4-panel image. My cameras are in the front porch, above the back door. along the dark side of the house, and in the garage. Also, I can see all this through an app on my iPhone, from anywhere there is Internet access. No audio, just daytime color or nighttime infrared video.

Hackers, I’m told, can break into this system through that Internet access portal, or through my home WiFi network. I trust my WiFi system, which has a formidable pass-phrase, and I trust the techs at the manufacturer. Even if someone did break into my system. they would see what anyone might see by simply walking around the house, so no privacy worries.

After seven years the system cameras are starting to fail and I can’t find exact replacements because that company doesn’t offer that system any more. But it was easy to find another system jusst like it, for about $500. When I trim down my honey-do list I’ll probably replace the whole thing. I’m leaving the cameras in place for now because I believe their presence is a good deterrent to crime.

Don’t know if this will help you, but I mounted three of my four cameras outside, on a wall, directly above an inside AC outlet. I ran ROMEX from that wall socket straight up and through a hole drilled into the wall from the outside. An electrical box mounts over that outside hole and more wiring runs up through electrical conduit to another electrical box where I mounted the camera. There is enough room inside that high-up box to plug the camera into a socket at the end of that extra wiring. Maybe it was clean living (probably not), but my three exterior cameras are in great positions to view the front and back porches and a dark side of the house. The fourth camera is inside the garage and didn’t require any effort because there is a high-up outlet for a house-wide vacuum system. Here’s hoping your installation goes as well.

Alex

P.S. I needed that extra exterior conduit because the wall had an interior 2x4 stopping me from running the wires all the way to the camera mount location. Painting everything the same as the exterior makes it all disappear.

P.P.S. I also invested in high quality locks, Maxum Deadbolts made by Medeco (www.medeco.com). These are the best mechanical, non-industrial locks available. The keys have not only the “mountain range” up and down bumps, but they are also bevelled to one side or another. The selling point was that a pro who sees such locks will probably recognize them from the street, and will continue looking elsewhere. So far so good.

Hi,

I don’t know about all states, but in Colorado if you directly fasten a weapons lock box to your vehicle, it is considered to be a part of the vehicle and therefore subject to search. If the box is not directly attached to the vehicle, it is not considered a part of the vehicle such as the trunk or console. This was pointed out to us in the last concealed carry class I took.

Just a thought.

Dave

1 Like

Texas does not have that requirement. As long as the gun is concealed in the vehicle and vehicle is locked, you’re good.

I like the lock box connected to the chair though. Can it be stolen? Yes, will it be wildly inconvenient? Yes.

That’s interesting. The safes I was speaking of, go in the console. But, they do attach to the vehicle, so, it would fall under what you described.

Simple solutions:

1. cable-secured lock box in my vehicle
  2. emergency secure method- unload & breakdown pistol: put slide assembly in pocket while rest stays behind.

BTW the State of GA - no weapons in hospital guns knives any edge tools. I secured my weapon in vehicle or had hospital security lock up in gun safe they have. It is inspected, recorded, sealed in envelope, and secured.

1 Like

I feel for you, wanting to be safe, around hospitals, in your vehicle, and at home. I need to check the laws around hospitals in my own state. In a recent visit to a hospital, I noticed they did post a sign prohibiting fire arms. I recently purchased two safe lock boxed for my vehicle, one small, one larger, within my budget. One day I hope when my budget allows, I will try to purchase an upgrade/even better car safe. One fellow CCL carrier who was my CCL trainer, showed us a live video camera streaming onto his mobile phone, of the interior of his car. I later figured out it was a way he could keep an eye on his car. I liked your ideas about more cameras in and around your home. I wonder if it helps if we have the option that they record, in case of an incident. You made me think about that garage door being cracked, I might have misread it, but if that could be more secured, or closed all the way, to mitigate the criminal eye from noticing it per se. I wish you and yours well, and thank your for sharing your beautiful story about your dear family. ---- Your friend from afar.

1 Like

Are you sure it was Class B ?

I am in Tenn.
Last I looked this up it was a Class “D” Misdemeanor.

I carry concealed anyway. I refuse to be shot down like a fish in a barrel.
No-one knows any better.
If I need it we will sort that out later. At least I will have a chance to survive.
But “I” am “Highly” Trained(Combat Competition Level). I Don’t recommend this for the untrained.
Just a “Permit” is NOT “Training”. Takes a Lot more Training than that to shoot in public and not endanger everyone else.

1 Like

I have three outside cameras all wi-do amcrest brands. I also have a ring doorbell camera at front door. I love them all. I also set up my own security system using a DVR recording box with a video compatible hard drive. Also the cameras can take cable and SD cards as well. But trying to get SD cards out of the cameras is a pain and hard to do so I just rely on the cable and wi-if connections I have. It also has an app to go with it so you can keep an eye out on your house when your gone anywhere anytime. I’m thinking of getting more cameras to go in places that needs them. My DVR box hold up to six camera connections.
Good luck

I have 4 cameras with motion detector lights at the corners of the house and a doorbell video camera.

Plus 1 yappy dog., A K-9 trained Rotty and a husky.

So twixt the way the interior of my house is set up, the puppers and tech I hope I am gtg

1 Like

If you have a console between the front seats, this is a great lockbox for your car.

https://www.consolevault.com/

1 Like

$269??? yikes. It’s pretty but…
I’ll stick with my cable around the car seat lock box I got for $125.
My lock box has been with me through 4 vehicles now and I love it.

2 Likes

Those are exactly what I was thinking of. Sadly, they don’t make one for my truck. But, all the newer models I’m looking at, are available.

I bet it’s one of the Vaultek boxes. They’re nice and appear to be worth the money. Personally, I use a nice solid $20 cable box from academy :joy:.

3 Likes

It’s a biometric device with a key backup built of thicker steel. I like it.
Given what goes in it, I thought it was worth the investment.

1 Like

So do I !

Objective is to stop SNATCH & GRAB

3 Likes

It would be interesting to hear from a carrying physician, nurse or pharmacist regarding this issue.

1 Like