Why not carry a full size?

Colt says they are Milspec or Government (5 inch), Commander (4.25 inch), and Officer (3 inch) models. Officer has a shorter grip and uses different mags. Full size mags can be used but they stick out the bottom of the magazine well. Since Colt started all this, other manufacturers sometimes follow this standard.

Kimber says they are Custom (5 inch), Pro (4 inch), and Ultra (3 inch). The difference between 4.25 and 4 inch is often enough to require a different holster. Ultra has an Officer Model grip.

I am comfortable with all this ambiguity but then I am an enthusiast.

4 Likes

A dinosaur would stop a .45 easily…

1 Like

I love caring my Smith & Wesson SD40VE full size gun. The problem is it’s heavy and if I don’t have a belt on it will pull my pants down. My Ruger ec9s is compact and a lot lighter. When I’m wearing pants with no belt that’s what I carry. If I have a belt on though, for sure carrying the smith & wesson sd40ve

2 Likes

I carry full size year round. I’m very fortunate my body type lends itself well to doing so. With a good belt and holster it’s not hard for me at all. Currently carrying a P226, but actually carried my PPQ for an all day shopping trip with my wife today to try out a new holster.

I do like the capacity, but more importantly, since I’m able to carry full size I do so because the bigger gun is easier to establish a solid grip, shoot accurately, and easier to manipulate than a smaller gun.

4 Likes

As in others posts I carry a full size 1911 45acp, in my Tommygunpack as well as three extra magazines and must have gear, my Tommygunpack is very versatile I can wear it normally or around the shoulder under the armpit. This is what works for me.

1 Like

Good chatting.
Barrel is about an inch shorter and the mag only holds 13 rounds, makes the grip bout half inch shorter. The mag from full size also fits the compact. Backstrap on the C has a little more agressive checkering. Slide is a flat finish rather than the shiny on the full size. Same comfort and smoothe action, like the full size got washed in hot water and shrunk. Extra mags are scarce and from $35 to 50. Easy pistol to carry. Have run 'bout 300 rounds through both of them, both brass and steel, various bullet grains and type with nary a hickup.

2 Likes

Presently, I carry a Glock 19x or a G26 in an AIWB. I am not a large man, by any standard (5’5", 160lbs). I CHOSE these firearms for a few reasons:

G19X Usually worn with pants and a T-shirt

1. Hybrid handgun. Barrel length same as G19, Grip same as G17
  2. For me, barrel length is where comfort becomes issue. Not worried about Grip length.
  3. Full size grip for solid/positive purchase during draw; very important to me.
  4. 19 round capacity 9mm. When working, I carry a spare in a AIWB w/Mag Carrier.
  5. Good sight radius for better accuracy (if distance is issue)

G26 Usually worn with shorts (board shorts) and a T-shirt (sometimes Tank Top)

1. Small handgun. Concealment not an issue for me
  2. Because it’s a small handgun, I practice drawing with it routinely. Shorter grip creates a different purchase
  3. 11 round capacity 9mm. I don’t carry spare.
  4. Sight radius reduced, but still good out to 25yrds.

I have been carrying concealed for 32yrs. and have concealed carry everything from a Berretta .380 to a ParaOrd P14 .45cal (Big Gun). My attire plays a significant part and both of these firearms seem to work well FOR ME; so far.

I am a believer that a “firearm isn’t carried to be comfortable, but comforting”. If I were a larger person, or lived in a climate where more garments are the norm, I would definitively carry a “full size” handgun.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family @David738 and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

For me the choice was simple. I got my first CCW in the State of California. Concealed is the prime word in that state. In some counties like LA a ccw is as rare as snipe spotting. When looking for a weapon to conceal carry I went to the Shield. It is a lot smaller and thinner. It was that thinner part that won me over. Printing for a new person getting a CCW is worse that being able to see through a thin dress to a woman. For the first few months I thought everyone could tell I was packing. I wanted a full size Beretta Like the M92. Even considered a 1911 in 38 super. But as I stood in the store and tried on a IWB holster I felt like there was a neon sign pointing to my attempt to hide the weapon under my shirt. I was using my same size pants and summer was coming on. So it looked like a I would be getting a PPKs or clone maybe some other 380.

Then I saw the S&W M&P shield 9mm. Closer to a 380 size than other 9mm. And there was the S&W M&P shield 45 almost the same size. Hiding spare mags was a piece of cake so a weapon less than an inch wide was ideal.

I now live where open carry is accepted. A full size is maybe something Santa would consider one of these days. I doubt if open carry will be my style so size will always be a consideration for warmer weather. And I am not tall enough to hide a full sized M92 or 1911.

6 Likes

I carry my M&P 2.0 9mm Subcompact with a 12 round mag and a spare 12 round mag. for a total of 25 rounds and it conceals well in an IWB holster. Its almost like a full size. Because its cold I wear a heavier coat and you can conceal it better.

2 Likes

I’m more for the Compact class. Yes, especially during winter, a full size gun is not that difficult to conceal. I’ve gone to Walmart carrying a 6 inch barrel GP100, under a Carhartt coat. That’s 12 inches, and 44 Oz of a flame throwin lead slinger. My edc is a M&P 45c. The standard 8 round mag makes it easier to conceal, but, it will accept the full size 10 round M&P Mags, or for that matter, the 14 rounder Smith and Wesson sells. The 8 round is enough grip for me to get my whole hand on, so, I’ll carry the “big” Mags as reloads.

2 Likes

I have run between 300 and 400 rounds through the FDE one I bought back over the summer. It came with 3 mags. Only real issue was it didn’t like the Allegiant 90 gr frag rounds. It failed to eject them properly.

I got a crazy deal at Cabelas on Veteran’s day on another full size in black. I think I paid 225 or maybe 250 for it after the Vet discount an I opened an account with them. Only down side was it only had 1 magazine. Today was the first time I fired it. I ran about 100 rounds total between that and the FDE one. I was shooting Winchester white box and Federal Syntech action pistol. No issues with either gun or ammo.

I was considering the compact but no one had them in stock and I didn’t want to buy off the internet without ateast holding it.

3 Likes

It’s a marketing strategy.

3 Likes

In the summer I like to carry a full size CZ 75B. The matte stainless model. This gun has a 4.5 inch barrel and 16 round mag. I will also carry a Kimber 1911 Tactical Pro (compact, commander) with Dan Eagle Celtic Cross grips. I could not stand the magwell extension so I removed it. Just could not get magazines to seat consistently with the extension on. I carry 2 extra mags which gets me to 49 rounds using the CZ and 25 rounds for the Kimber.

4 Likes

Carry a canik tp9v2 this winter. Carried it own about 2 o’clock but need a better belt. Purchased a shoulder rig & really like that, I’m going to try it this spring also.to see how it pans out. If things go south because of demsI’ll probably carry a 1911 in 45 acp… have a fs now but may look for a 7 round medium.

3 Likes

I have both an M&P 2.0 Compact and a full size M&P 2.0 C.O.R.E. The differences are 2 rounds, half inch on the barrel (4" barrel compact and 4.5" full size) and of course a red dot. The magazines from the full size can be used in the compact.

That being said I’m currently carrying an XDM 10mm. It’s what I can find ammo for honestly. I haven’t seen a box of 9mm since April.

4 Likes

See what I mean about full size firearms being difficult to conceal?

3 Likes

When I sit and enjoy my lunchbreak outside of the office, I see plainclothes cops going in and out of the certain federal agency. This being Florida, many of them print. I dont want to be like that.
When I started carrying, I thought is would be a sub-compact IWB, but quickly found I have to switch to a pocket micro, and in fact thats what I carry most of the time. Concealing a G19 under a t-shirt is definitely not something I could do.

2 Likes

Alexander, have you tried appendix IWB?
Some of my friends carry their G19 that way. Never see it–MOS version with an RMR as well.

3 Likes

I have not.

1 Like