Who is a "Threat"

Speaking to one of the local homeless guys today, seems to be a fairly smart guy, claims to be a veteran (showed me a DD214), says he’s not a junky and I don’t see any obvious signs that he is etc. I know I know, if their lips are moving they are probably lying but for conversation sake let’s say he’s being honest.

He tells me that the SLCPD went around searching the homeless guys for guns, they actually start the conversation with “Do you have a gun” and then line them up and search them (can you say “Stop and Frisk”). He didn’t have one so they let him go about his business. He claims to have no felony convictions or another disqualifying conditions that would limit his possession of a fire arm. Remember, in Utah you can carry open or concealed without a permit if you can legally own a gun. He said the cops told them that they can take their guns because “Desperation breeds contempt”. Makes me wonder, can we actually take the guns from those that are homeless just because of what they Might Do? Simply because of their social status?

6 Likes

Doubt it. But the fact of being homeless might make Leo’s think you’re poor & can’t do anything about it. So BS control move…

7 Likes

There’s definitely a gray area.

I have not consulted a lawyer and am only sharing my thoughts on this subject because I discussed this same topic with a friend of mine who found himself in this situation. Although he initially kept his firearm, he eventually ended up selling it because the need for basic necessities outweighed the need to have a firearm.

Inherently, they should still have their right to own a firearm.

However, did their circumstance allow them to keep their firearm before they became homeless? In most (if not all) states, they would not be able to legally purchase a firearm from an FFL since they do not have a permanent address. Presenting an old ID/license with an address they no longer reside in would be perjury. Even private party sales requires that the seller verify residency in some way because selling a firearm to a non-resident would be illegal.

If he legally owns the firearm, the police cannot just take his firearm away without probable cause. Unfortunately, the police would easily be able to justify this. A simple loitering or trespassing charge can start the ball rolling, then using the firearm as an excuse to claim “malicious intent” or “intent to commit a crime” would give them enough reason to take the firearm.

They may be able to fight this in court, but I doubt they will have the resources necessary to fight it or would consider it a priority.

It is unfortunate because I can see where being homeless puts you some very dangerous situations and you may find yourself targeted by predators.

11 Likes

You only have the rights that you can afford to hire a lawyer to protect.
For that reason, a homeless person is on a losing side of an argument with police.

8 Likes

Slight rephrasing but same thought. You only have rights you are willing to fight to protect. I do mean legally not necessarily literally fighting!

7 Likes

That’s correct. When you’re on the poor side of the ledger different rules apply.

2 Likes

I get you @George98, and I agree, but what a country we’re becoming when we have to footnote everything we say.

Imagine if Teddy Roosevelt would have felt compelled to say “Speak softly, and carry a big stick… I don’t mean a literal stick, but rather show people you can back up your words.”

7 Likes

Being poor or homeless does not deprive you of any rights. Searching someone without reasonable suspicion or probable cause violates the 4th Amendment. That should (I wish I could say would) not fly in Kentucky under our Open Carry state Constitutional protections and constitutional carry for concealed carry.

12 Likes

My thoughts as well. I suspect they do it because they can. Our Democrat Mayor is under a lot of pressure to get this homeless thing under control, I suspect this is one of the ways she’ll say she’s making sure the people, both homeless and regular folks, on the streets are safe.

3 Likes

All true, but going after the homeless is a lot safer than going after gangbangers that’ll be free before the ink is dry on the charge papers… It also presents the appearance that “they” are “doing something about gun violence”.

4 Likes

Could be brother @Mike164 , but it’s unconstitutional. In Chicago they use to stop me ( Terry Stop ) until I stood up for myself and started making complaints on them.

9 Likes

Here in Shreveport Louisiana they made a task force getting people for illegal concealment of firearm because of masks. For a month or two the city conducted many illegal searches and raids. All you seen on booking was firearm related charges.

Local news would praise the police for seizing 20 guns from a “gangster” (they have to make gun owners some type of criminal)

But my question is HOW DID THEY KNEW HE/SHE POSSESSED THOSE FIREARMS?!

Sadly, most would have just a small amount of controlled substance and BOOM illegal posssion of firearm.

3 Likes

I once made the comment “… best I can hope for is leniency. I cannot afford justice.” We’re ALL on the losing side of an argument with police (the criminal justice (just-us) system)

5 Likes

This is a symptom of a larger issue that is growing still. A webwork of laws is so complicated, that you cannot live life without tripping some wires. Once every citizen is guilty, you can pick ones you dont like (e.g. they speak out at school board meetings, or participate in politics) and prosecute them.

6 Likes

Not sure where this guy resides but not true here in MS. Nothing in the law says a private seller must 'vet" a purchaser. Private gun sales here does not have to go through Big Brother.

5 Likes

While there is no requirement for the seller to vet the buyer, there are still laws on who can and cannot purchase firearms, and legal consequences for selling to a “prohibited” person. Which would make most sellers do at least minimal verification.

We have the same freedom here in FL. But personally, I would not sell a firearm to anyone without requiring that I see their carry permit/license.

2 Likes

Say this person has a list of felonies on his record. I do not have access to that info unless I call LE or someone to do a background check (again not required here). We don’t require a license/permit to purchase a firearm of any type here either.

3 Likes

AND, I don’t want to become an agent of the State or Federal Government…

3 Likes

Homelessness doesn’t make anyone a second-class citizen.

7 Likes

Any doubt, the authorities would mistreat any of us, if we couldnt push back in court?

8 Likes