Where are the SC members?

Yes sir, Williston-Elko High School is still there. In fact, we live within earshot of it.

1 Like

I recall football days.
You’re not all that far from the famed Salley Chitlin Strut and the Wagoner Frog Jump. I should have used proper terminology
chitterlings. A ways cross country.
SC is the only state with North situated kinda southerly and Due West not west of anything. And a lot of Scandinavian countries show up on our map.
We have Ninety Six where they have to change the name of the town if there’s a birth.
We have Lake City where there is no lake and no real city
small town.
We have a Frog Pond, Burns Down, Wide Awake, and Happy Bottom.

1 Like

That is so true. As for the Chitlin strut, I prefer your terminology. :blush: in past years, I’ve spent way too much time having to work the Salley area during the chitlin strut, the stench is horrible, Lol.

2 Likes

I remember years back, a guy I knew worked the chitlin strut parade with his precision motorcycle team.
One of the guys, who really liked chitlins, sat down with his teammates with their plates of innards. He had popped a few kernels of raw corn in his mouth before coming to the table. He shoveled in a forkful, masticated for a moment and spit those corn kernels in his hand. He slapped them down on the table and declared, “Well they didn’t clean these out so good, did they!”
After all his buddies made their hasty palefaced exits, he started raking in all their bounty to his heaping plate.
Friend, chitlins are kinda like mushrooms. You’d better have a sincere trust in your preparer.
As a hongry child, I ate chitlins, possum, and other critters and delights folks in polite company disdain.
I wouldn’t choose some of it now, but if I were that hooooongry again, it would sure bring a smile to my face. You’d be surprised what you’d eat if your really and truly hungry and nobody has trained you against those things.
By the way, possum is the correct spelling. Opossum is what you say as you’re trying to keep it down after you’ve been told what you just ate.
Oooooooo, possum! 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky!

3 Likes

I’m not in S.C. but I’m about 10 minutes over the border into Georgia

What part of GA? Near Hartwell?

Augusta in Columbia county

Oh okay. That’s pretty far from here. I’m between Clemson and Greenville. You’re not far from the Horse Creek Valley.

1 Like

Yep, not to far at all 15 miles away

Do they still sell collard kraut in the valley?

Wouldn’t know, never been, just moved here 6 months ago

If you can get some of it, rinse it and cook it like normal collards. It won’t taste like kraut but the best tasting and most brightly colored collards ever. It won’t be mushy like collards tend to get.

Sounds like a must try added to my list

Lawd, my granddaddy used to take us brothers to the chitlin strut at a very young age. I love fried chitlins but not boiled. I’m from Eastover and live near there now. That story was a hoot! :joy:

Eastover-Hopkins-Columbia area.

Hey @David404
Welcome home.
Fried is the way for sure, but you have to boil and clean them several times before they go to frying.
That’s a lot of work for what you get.

1 Like

I visited my dad many years ago when he lived in Sacramento and there was a diner operator there originally from South Carolina and he had chitlins on his menu. Yes downtown Sacramento, California. My dad was a happy camper. I think the chitlin strut is in November and I’m looking forward to taking my young teenage boy just to see the look on his face if not anything else. This will be his first.

1 Like

Florence, reporting in.

Hey @Carl44
I once upon a time taught in McBee. I lived in Hartsville until I built in McBee. We used to head for Florence regularly to shop or go to movies.

1 Like

We head up to McBee to get our peaches.