What's Your Favorite Western?

Please delete the post above.

Welcome to the family @Denise7 and you are in the right place at the right time.

Western Trivia - Name some famous actresses whose film resumes included only one western. The list here will surprise you.

1 Like

Magnificent 7. Old Version

2 Likes

Lately this one

1 Like

Hate to say it, but never liked westerns until “Silverado.” That was the gateway for me. “The Outlaw Josie Wales” is awesome, early old west! Like “Pale Rider,” as well as “Tombstone” (although factually inaccurate about crime rates). My favorite western is “Unforgiven.” I like many others now, however “Unforgiven” stands out more than the others. Val Kilmer’s performance in Tombstone was astounding. As for John Wayne westerns and others mentioned, all arguably great movies in their own right.

3 Likes

Probably “Blood Meridian”. It’s a book and is not a western but by far and away one of the most chilling books I have ever read.

1 Like

Paleface and Son of Paleface always made me laugh.

1 Like

Valdez is Coming is another favorite of mine

3 Likes

4 Likes

I like westerns as little as I can stand country music, but I know that many of you folks enjoy both and thought that this might be interesting.

2 Likes

Happy anniversary brother @Gary406

Watching my son, this wasn’t his best episode.

2 Likes

I don’t care for country, but this song has some dubs from A Fistful of Dollars. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the best Western ever.

1 Like

How’s about this for a western theme song.

1 Like
1 Like

Just one more to add to the list of the great ones: The Sacketts., Can’t leave Ben Johnson out of the good actors. Started out as a wrangler on the movie sets.

1 Like

Mine still remains THE BIG COUNTRY (1958), among several others. Gregory Peck and legendary director William Wyler co-produced it, with Peck starring and Wyler directing. It has a viable, realistic plot, and a great cast with strong performances from all the characters - Burl Ives won an Oscar, and it has the best “horse” and fist-fight scenes. The one feature to notice is the huge panoramic shots Wyler uses as the story and action progresses.

1 Like

I want to add the musical score by Jerome Moross here - especially his use of horns in the opening. Charlton Heston was criticized for his role - “What is Moses doing as a ranch foreman?” - but it paid off when Wyler cast him in BEN HUR. The film was approached as an epic, so it’s a long one, too.

2 Likes

Gunsmoke and Wagon train.

2 Likes