What's Your Favorite Western?

Paint your wagon? Really? To each his own but those that have not seen this film, it has Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood Nd they both SING!!! That should tell you all you need to know!!:joy::joy:
Love many of the Cilnt movies, The John Wayne movies, many of the John Ford westerns. Sons of Katie Elder, Stagecoach, Fist full of Dollars, Good,Bad,Ugly. The list could go on, didnt even mention James Garner who had several good westerns. If you want a closer, truer look at the west, watch massacre ar wounded knee. Very sad but much closer to what really happened. For anyone looking to right the wrongs done to others, think of Native Americans who populated this country and numbered in the hundreds of thousands + and became almost extinct due to the ‘civilized’ white man.

PS not sure if it is still out there somewhere but there was a time when you could buy the soundtrack to Paint Your Wagon. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Cowboys and Aliens.

5 Likes

Look at Oldies.com - thousands of films, cds, and vinyl available.

2 Likes

Any starring John Wayne and Clint Eastwood in “The Man With No Name” trilogy.

4 Likes

Tv would be Cheyenne

3 Likes

When Sergio Leone was casting for his trilogy, his first choice was James Coburn, but he was under contract. His second choice was Eric Fleming, but he wanted too much money. When he talked to Eastwood, he said, “10K and a trip to Italy? I can do that.” FYI

3 Likes

Hang em high.

3 Likes

As a life long John Wayne fan I will add The War Wagon to the list.

4 Likes

If you guys want to look at lists, here we go - if you haven’t seen all of these, you’ve cheated yourselves. THE BIG COUNTRY - THE SHOOTIST - WYATT EARP - UNFORGIVEN - OPEN RANGE - WINCHESTER '73 (Stewart) - THE FAR COUNTRY - THE CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB - THE PROUD ONES - THE TIN STAR - THE BRAVADOS - THE WONDERFUL COUNTRY - SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF - THE CULPEPPER CATTLE COMPANY - THE UNFORGIVEN - MAN WITHOUT A STAR - THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES - RED RIVER. These are my best of the best.

1 Like

Here’s a trivia question: What major actor was hired to direct what film, and proceeded to go so grossly over-budget that 4-5 HOURS of extra film were shot, only to be never seen and destroyed?

1 Like

Excellent choice. Also Star Trek, whose creator, Gene Rodenberry, told an interviewer that he was trying to revamp the western genre by translating it into an outer space setting: men of principle and courage who are true to their word and refuse to back down from a confrontation with the ‘bad guys’, no matter what the odds. They might use their guns to win the day, but the use them the right way for the right reasons.

Lots of ‘non-western’ westerns out there if you look for them. The key to watching any western, traditional or modern, is to remember they are fantasy, not documentary.

2 Likes

I heard a description of STAR TREK as “WAGON TRAIN to the stars.”

1 Like

I guess nobody wants to play. The answer is Marlon Brando, who starred in and directed ONE-EYED JACKS - he was never, EVER offered to direct another film, In today’s worthless currency, the extra film would’ve added up to thousands of dollars in sheer waste.

1 Like

RED RIVER made Montgomery Clift a star at 25 in his first film. To convince John Wayne he wasn’t just another “sissy stage actor”, he took riding lessons six weeks before filming, and always stood up around Wayne, even if Wayne was sitting. Wayne remarked, “That Clift fellah - he’s alright.” Steve McQueen - in spite of his “cool” image - went out of his way to become a UPITA while making THE MAG 7 - upstaging Yul Brynner, while complaining to Robert Vaughn about everything involving his role. FYI

1 Like

The Searchers. Probably one of John Wayne’s best roles.

4 Likes

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Shane- Alan Ladd, the final scene was great with Jack Palance as Wilson. Shane was one bad dude.

3:10 TO YUMA - also with Van Heflin - had a better plot. SHANE was Jean Arthur’s last and only color film - although she was extremely popular, she was also very private, notoriously avoiding publicity and interviews - maybe she decided she “had made enough faces” like Garbo. FYI

2 Likes

The Professionals. Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster - if you haven’t seen it you should!

2 Likes

I always watch the scene where Lancaster’s hanging upside-down - I wonder if Woody Strode was an archery nut like me.

1 Like

Natalie Wood’s only western - this would make a gooda

1 Like