What's Your Favorite Western?

As I’ve said, at 72, I’ve seen 2K or more films during my lifetime of all kinds. Some westerns I still watch again for specific scenes - THE BIG COUNTRY is my favorite, having more scenes, with a really solid plot combined with its panoramic camera shots and its sound-changing score by Jerome Moross - this is a true epic, unlike the cookie-cutter, trigger-happy, kill-crazy films and TV shows before and after it. UNFORGIVEN and WYATT EARP are in my top 5, but the cast of TBC still beats them all.

3 Likes

I am not big on Westerns, but I have seen El Diablo 10 times or more as a kid. I have seen a few more but can not remember the names of them, so I guess El Diablo would be considered my favorite.

2 Likes

THE GOOD
THE BAD&
THE UGLY

The Outlaw Josey Whales and most of The Dukes movies. :+1:

5 Likes

Westerns aren’t my thing. Neither is country music, or what they’re calling country music of late. I think I was a few years too late. My dad loves them!

3 Likes

Firefly

6 Likes

LOL. Had to look it up, not sure if is in the same genre. :thinking:

1 Like

Jeremiah johnson, eledorado, butch casidy & the sundance kid

3 Likes

Paint Your Wagon, Lee Marvin…
“I give you the boy, you give me a man”

2 Likes

Even though it stars Jane Fonda, I liked Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou. I only saw it on TV as a kid, before I knew her politics and what she did in Vietnam, though the movie was produced before her treason.

2 Likes

Eldorado

6 Likes

All good shows, but have you seen Old Henry?

2 Likes

Jane Fonda is very lucky,she had a contract to take her out when she was sitting on the Sam Missiles in Hanoi,I lost ALL RESPECT for her doing that!

4 Likes

I really miss that series. Sci-fi with a very Western twist.

5 Likes

Lonesome Dove, et seq.

4 Likes

I am a fan of all the Clint Eastwood movies and also all of the Magnificent Seven movies.

7 Likes

Man all of them lol I’m a John Wayne man and Matt Dillon (James Arness) but Gunsmoke is a serious so movies will m be True Grit, El Dorado, Rio Lobo, Big Jake, she wore a red ribbon, and how the west was one…which leads me to all of James Stewart because he was in how the west was won and for a good laugh Cheyenne Social club not really a western but man is that funny.

I love all clint East wood movies
Hangem high and for another laugh bis rent Two Mules for Sister Sara was a funny one

What was that one with the girls and he got poisoned with mushrooms aww man that one made me cry :joy:

7 Likes

Well… I guess it would have to be the one I’ve willingly watched the most: McLintock!

Runners up:
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Unforgiven
Tombstone
My Name is Nobody

4 Likes
3 Likes

Before any more lists, what is your FAVORITE, #1 western? As I’ve said, THE BIG COUNTRY fills all my requirements for “critical” watching. You’ve got to really impress this viewer - you have to present something with real value for me to spend the time and $$ to watch it. UNFORGIVEN in '92 was the last western I’d paid $$ to see, and one of the inspirations behind my HAVE GUN - WILL TRAVEL anthology idea, which no one seemed interested in, even though I was GIVING it away freely.

1 Like

Tombstone and Red River tie for first.

Runners up
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Eldorado
McClintock
Big Jake
Rio Bravo
The Undefeated
Shenandoah

2 Likes