Winter Wonderland Westerns

If you’re a film fan, research and check these out - The Big Country - Winchester '73 - The Far Country - Broken Arrow - Broken Lance - Death of a Gunfighter - The Gunfighter - Wyatt Earp - The Tin Star - The Proud Ones - The Shootist - Stagecoach - Wild Bill - Destry Rides Again - Cowboy - The Unforgiven - Unforgiven. These are the best of the bunch to watch as the mercury drops. I’m 70, now, and grew up in the “cowboy culture” of the 1950s. FYI - Kurt17

3 Likes

Winchester 73 is one of my all time favorites.

2 Likes

After returning from WWII, Jimmy Stewart’s first 4 films he considered as flops - even Alfred Hitchcock’s Rope, which was shot in one room, with extremely long takes. Win. '73 was the first of 5 westerns - and 8 total films - he made with director Anthony Mann, and boosted his career. The only western he made before the war was Destry Rides Again. Broken Arrow is another Stewart film which features Jeff Chandler as Cochise - Michael Ansara would later have the role on the tv series. FYI - Kurt17

1 Like

Revenant

2 Likes

I was listing classic westerns - Man In the Wilderness with Richard Harris and John Huston is similar to Revenant - High Plains Drifter is another… I was going with the test of time, Kurt17

2 Likes

All those films sound good brother @KURT17 but I’m kind of impartial towards Shane and the Magnificent Seven. I think I was a twinkle in my mamas eyes when those films you mentioned came out. LOL​:joy::joy:

Of all of them, The Big Country is an epic - made in 1957, when I was 7 - Charlton Heston went on to make Ben Hur,and Burl Ives - “America’s Troubadour” - won an Oscar for his role, playing “Big Daddy” in Cat On a Hot Tin Roof later that year I might have added 3:10 to Yuma with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin.

1 Like

Jerimiah Johnson

1 Like

I forgot anti-hero westerns - One-eyed Jacks & Hombre - where Richard Boone utters one of my favorite lines.

1 Like

Always Watch “Once Upon a Time in the West” when it’s on
There was a comedy western with Henry Fonda as well called “My name is Nobody” I liked
Any western with Audie Murphy
Just about seen every episode of Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Tales of the Wells Fargo, Have Gun Will Travel, Wanted Dead or Alive, Wagon Train, Bonanza, Trackdown, Rawhide, The Big Valley, The Virginian, Branded, Maverick, Cheyenne, Lawman, Larimie, Daniel Boone
Didn’t care for the Lone Ranger or anything with singing

1 Like

Clint Eastwood’s Unforgiven is probably one of the few films that really show how nasty-ass life could be in those times. The EPIC western to watch is The Big Country - made in 1957, Gregory Peck and director William Wyler co-produced it. Burl Ives won a best-supporting Oscar, and Charlton Heston was later cast as Messala - and finally as Ben Hur - in Wyler’s remake in 1959. It has the best horse and fistfight scenes, and otherwise an all-star cast and great film score, one of the first to use horns as a dominant feature.

1 Like