What's your favorite Gun Safe?

Bought a Winchester safe from tractor supply on sale,seems to work great although it does fill up fast especially if you have long guns with scopes so buy big lol…nice quality and it looks good too looks like the one dawn has at the top of page

2 Likes

Got my tax refund. Like Casey, bought a Winchester from Tractor Supply. Only the 10-gun would fit in my space, but thats enough for us (for now).

4 Likes

The point I knew I needed a gun safe is when I bought my AR and M1A. I kept my firearms in a gun case because there wasnt that many just 2 and I mainly owned pistols. I am currently using one from cabelas.

2 Likes

Here is the one I just purchased, last week. It is supposed to be delivered this week. Screenshot_20190403-114156_Chrome

3 Likes

Warning Will Robertson, this is a long post (bonus points if you know the reference).

Most long gun safes made strictly for guns are normally good quality safes.

The exception to this are long gun safes that lock just using a key. They are good for keeping honest people honest or keeping children out but a criminal will be able to open it without much trouble.

Features to look for in a (long gun ) safe besides good construction are dead bolts. The best have doors where the deadbolts engage on all four sides of the door. A good three deadbolt system (top bottom and active side of the door) with the hinge side of the door having fixed bolts that engage the frame when the door is closed is good as well.

Safes can have one or two ratings on them. Burglary rating, Fire rating or both. Ideally you want a safe with both a fire and burglary rating. If you are going to store important documents in your safe make sure it has a FIRE rating of at least 1 hour.

If you are looking for something mainly for document protection Sentry makes a great fire safe. The inexpensive ones do not have a burglary rating and can be broken into quite easily if you know how.

Most of the small hand gun safes ( read one or two handguns) I have seen (except the really cheap ones) do a nice job of keeping out the average person and will take more time than a smash and grab criminal is willing to give to open them. Just dont forget to secure the safe in some manner or the thief will just take the safe and open it later.

I personally own or have owned a few different safes including, Liberty, Stack-On, Sentry (more than one type) American Guardian and a few others.

For some back ground, I worked as a locksmith for almost 20 years between the state and for a company that supplied hardware to major building contractor throughout the state of Wisconsin. I was also factory trained on Forger Adams detention hardware (think jail cells). During my time as a locksmith for the University of Wisconsin Madison, I was the go to guy for changing combinations, opening them when the combination didn’t work and in some cases drilling and repairing them.

If you have questions about a safe (gun, document or valuables) and want my opinion, send me a message with the make and model number along with your question and Ill do my best to give you an answer.

3 Likes

Huh… I always that it was Danger Will Robertson! :stuck_out_tongue:

Great details to consider, @DBrogue!

1 Like

I was trying to be sneaky so people could not google it right off. Your are correct on the quote

Thanks,

Don

1 Like

We’ve just got a couple of small single gun safes for when we fly anywhere. My financial manager (a.k.a. the wife) wants to get a bigger safe when we retire to store everything in down in the basement of our house in Kentucky.

ADT has even told us they can put a sensor on the big safes like the ones in the pictures in this tread and tie it into our security system.

2 Likes

I had 4, 8 long gun safes that were not fireproof
I looked around and read about all the safes and considered where I needed to place it in my home.
I purchased a 56 long gun safe from Snapsafe, whisch is modular and has a great fire rating. I got it on sale and delivered. 2 of us put it together in about 35 minutes. It is configured by me and holds more than 80, long guns, shotguns, and pistols. I am extremely pleased with the product. I will buy another one someday. Great product at a fair price.

1 Like

image image !

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @Dave2 :smiley:

It looks like you have an open shelf in your safe??

2 Likes

It’s full now…I was so excited about it I took the picture early…lol

1 Like

I stuffed 7 shotguns up top and brought those pistols down to the shelf…

1 Like

Ours is a cannon, and it’s not big enough :slight_smile:
I do have several cabled lock boxes in my truck but I’m looking for more secure options.

2 Likes

Upgraded last week, Liberty Fatboy Jr. I like it so far. @DBrogue, mind if I send you a private message? Just have a few questions that fall in line with your expertise.

2 Likes

No problem feel free anytime.

I am always willing to help if I can

3 Likes

My holster and at my bedside since I have only 2 hands. I carefully chose my weapons through personal training and preferences.

2 Likes