What's the difference?

So, I recently found T.rex arms and their awesome logo. As I was perusing their site, I found a weapon light.

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/Modlite-Weapon-Light/

This light is $330. That seems…high. Weirdly high.

On the other end, Cheaper Than Dirt has weapon lights. Here’s one for $60.

My question is, what is the difference? I understand that on average a more expensive piece of equipment is going to be of higher quality than a cheaper piece of equipment, but…this is a flashlight you stick on your gun. What am I getting for the extra money? Is it worth saving up about $500 for the light, mount, and pressure pad, as opposed to dropping $100? I get that I’m missing something, I just don’t know what it is.

2 Likes

I went on reputation and reviews when I got the Streamlight Protac 2L-X. I’m all for T-rex arms… Jokes and as a logo. I have also been known to spend a lot of money on weird things. I bought a deadpool OTF knife that I don’t carry because I don’t want to hurt its finish… With that said, this kind of stuff I try and stay with tried and true. Streamlight with rechargeable battery is like $60 and has great reviews.
I didn’t look too much at the T-rex arms specs. If it’s got some specific feature you want, it might be worth it. The more I say it in my head, it might be worth the price just to say T-rex Arms…lol, that doesn’t get old…

After closer inspection, the T-rex Arams lol is weapon mounted, and you specifically said weapon mounted. Now, I’d suggest the Streamlight TLR-1HL. $110 with 5 star reviews from 4,300 people.

3 Likes

Just some things to think about…

LED lights require a circuit board. Things like moisture, vibrations, static, etc. can have negative affect on the solder points, circuitry, etc. Although reviewers can bang them against the ground a few times, put them in the freezer, and toss them in the washing machine and see if they work, this doesn’t replicate years of use in different environments, hundreds of bangs, and thousands of rounds of shooting. Additionally, a battery’s inertia when mounted on a firearm can also cause internal battering of components, as well as intermitent operation (especially with the programmable flashlights which reset when the battery looses contact).

Even brands like Surefire have specific lines for firearms, and many others which they list as not meant to be mounted on a firearm. Their Scout light is designed as a weapon light and retails for $300+ depending on configuration and accessories, while their G2X (not designed as a weapon light) retails for around $60.

That being said, it’s my understanding that in Vietnam, some US troops would duck tape an old incandescent flashlight to their rifles… if you want to go that route, there’s plenty of inexpensive options below $60.

2 Likes

HA! Duct tape works wonders, but I doubt I want to trust my life to it.

3 Likes

Modlite gear is worth every bit of the price they charge for it. I’ve been following the folks at T-Rex Arms for a while now and one thing I’ll say about them is that if they’re selling a product on their website, its because they tested the hell out of it and it works.

Now, do your needs support a $330 light? Maybe, maybe not. I know mine sure don’t, which is why I don’t own one. The Modlite is purpose built for running a gun through high round counts in the dark, something that Lucas (the creator of T-Rex) does a ton of. If you’re not running your gun like that, then you may not need the expensive gear.

But if you’re going to invest in a light, do it right the first time with a piece of gear that gives you the confidence it is going to work when you need it.

2 Likes

I’m late to the party, but this might be helpful. I am a teeny tiny bit of a flashlight snob :slight_smile:

Basically what you pay for is durability, run time, output (total), type of output (flood vs spot), controls and options (like ability to add remote switches). To a certain degree you also pay for brandname/reputation but that reputation is usually built on making quality components.

1 Like