Weapon Lights

I’m trying to decide on a weapon light. I’m trying to pick between a StreamLight TLR-1 (300 lumens, ~$120), TLR-1HL (1,000 lumens, ~$135), SureFire X300U-A (1,000 lumens, ~$280), and X300U-T (650 lumens, ~$370). At first, I thought the brighter the better. But then I watched some videos saying that too bright of a light can partially blind me at night, as well as any attackers. Does anyone have advice about which weapon-mounted light I should run for EDC? To clarify, my EDC will also be my home defense pistol, so I will be using it (hopefully never) indoors and outdoors.

6 Likes

I run a Nightstick TWM-30 and Olight PL-3R
Hth

3 Likes

IMO and IME, the Surefire and the Streamlight are the two to choose from.

I don’t think you can go wrong. I have TLR-1 HL on my pistols that have WML. I also have an X300-U on a shotgun. I trust them both.

I and others have had problems with the inforcea nd the olight.

Cloud Defensive should also be good for anything they make.

Too bright is not a problem, ignore anybody who says a WML is too bright. You want all the lumens

10 Likes

I own both the TLR-1HL and X300U-A. They are really bright, but the tradoff to that is heat. They both get hot, but the X300 seems to get hotter faster. The battery time is also slightly less for the X300, and there’s only one setting, the sun. The HL has a sun and strobe setting, in case your attacker is epileptic. I’ve used them inside and outside. …the smaller the space, the brighter for the user, as more light bounces back. I wouldn’t say it’s so bright it’s blinding…for the user, at least.

What would you be mounting the light on,? The reason I ask is the X300U-A seems to have a longer body to fit on a rail, and depending on the model, may not fit on a compact as the rail notch is toward the front of the body, where the rail notch on the TLR-1HL is more toward the center. The bell of the X300 is also considerably longer, and likely will stick out past the muzzle.

9 Likes

Sick video! Thanks for that!

3 Likes

I like the TLR-1 size, but imo, the surefire has a better beam, and the switch paddle feels more durable and the engagement more solid. Ive accidentally turned on the TLR-1 more times than the X300 as well. The actual reason I have both is because I couldn’t decide, so i bought both. Both have advantages over the other, but if i had to go again, i would probably just do the X300.

3 Likes

I saw a video on the OWL a while back. It’s between that and the m600 for my next build (last, says the wife :rofl:).

2 Likes

It would be mounted on either a CZ p10c or f, a HK VP9, or a Walther PDP compact or full size. I still need to shoot each and decide what I want.

3 Likes

Ah, yes. I forgot you were trying to decide between the three.

2 Likes

Buy all three, turned out good for @TheKid :wink:

3 Likes

Why are you trying to bring down wrath on this man @Karacal ??

3 Likes

If it ends in his relocation to the garage then his redemption would be to sell one to you! :grinning:

3 Likes

So you are trying to bring mayhem and destruction to both of us??

3 Likes

Depends on the end result, I’m guessing 50/50. :grinning:

3 Likes

Want to come for a visit @Karacal ? you know, to meet the innocent Mrs?

2 Likes

ABSOLUTELY! I’ve never been to Missipi. :grinning:

3 Likes

Well c’mon! Before you get here I am going to somehow tie you into that 2 gun purchase that we are aware of. Maybe even have you take the bullet for it! …oh and…pun intended :rofl:

3 Likes

@Alexander63 Sounds like the SureFire X300U-A 1000 lumens would be the better choice. Blind your attacker. and a better advantage for you in a given situation.

1 Like

Better than the TLR-1HL? Same lumens, but cheaper. Do you know why the X300U-A is more expensive even though they are both 1,000 lumens?

2 Likes

Streamlight, besides their high end lights are made overseas, Surefire, US

4 Likes