WHAT WOULD YOU DO? -Walmart Edition

Agree 100 percent with your statement here. But as far as you not trusting people I believe you have to trust someone sometimes. And I like to help people but I’m always watching my six at all times even when doing a good deed. It’s not a lack of trust I’m just always alert and looking around. Sometimes I’m that guy that would give a transient money and won’t think twice about it.

8 Likes

Appreciate that. You know, I used to be happy go lucky, prior to the resistance movement ala 2016. I went out of my way to assist others, on a daily basis I made sure to put a smile on everyone’s faces. It’s why my bosses and clients loved me. When things were normal everyday was a day to enjoy. Today, we have to wake up and seriously, literally and constantly look over the shoulder. That 78 year old grandmother could be part of a larger larceny scheme, the neighborhood 12 could pull a gun.
Today’s situations have gone way too far, and completely out of control. It’s like we are on a bus and the driver took his hands off the steering wheel, and when he turns back to look at you he’s the spitting image of the Joker and he’s in complete control over your entire world, unfortunately there is no Batman!

6 Likes

5 Likes

Agreed. In fact, within the USCCA Protector Academy, a particular training video portrays a similar scenario that is role-played by USCCA Staff and trainers and then discussed and analyzed by experts and instructors. These training materials are readily available for USCCA members. People need to take advantage of these training opportunities.

The perps use seniors, pretty ladies, kids, you name it as distractions to get you to look to the right when they come at you from the left.

Boy Scout Merit Badge opportunities just might cost you your life these days.

Stay safe out there.

6 Likes

After 25 years in law enforcement, I trust my sixth sense before I trust people on the streets. As I tell my clients: “If you don’t feel safe … you aren’t safe”

Stay safe out there … trust your instincts …

9 Likes

If the person was obviously telling a lie about their child missing, then they are human garbage. That is one thing I will never ever have sympathy for someone with, using one of the worst case scenarios just to scam some cash off you. Tell me your car broke down, your dog needs surgery, or just say you need money because you’re broke and you’d have a better chance. My response would more than likely be to get back in my car and drive off and come back later. I say that because leaving your vehicle there is leaving it open to vandalism. I once parked in a ramp. 2 homeless guys were in ramp lobby right by where I parked. They watched me exit my vehicle, go into the lobby (at which one tried to walk around behind me while), hit the elevator button (while not turning my back on either of them), and then one asked me for money. I said not today I don’t carry money. When I got back out to my car after work, tires were slashed.

6 Likes

I couldn’t believe this but a few months ago I went to a discount building materials place that was not in the best areas of town, in fact it was probably the worst area of that town, and after I got out of my truck I locked the doors as I always do and headed to the entrance. There were 4 people standing around the entrance who obviously didn’t work there and one said loudly “Why did you all of a sudden feel the need to lock your mother f…ing doors on your truck”?! I immediately turned around got back in my truck and left. I was armed as I always am but didn’t want to be the subject of the 6 o’clock news shooting someone’s “baby”. I won’t go back there which is a shame.

12 Likes

I’m with you, I have become that way as well.

4 Likes

Happy Anniversary @Forensic_Wow

I would have asked her if she wanted to extend her card warranty since it was about to expire, and for $40 so I could look for my lost dog.

6 Likes

Usually, when they ask me for money, especially for gas, I tell them to follow me to the gas station and I’ll get them some gas. I have yet to have one person agree to that. They always say “can’t you just give me the money? I don’t want to hold you up.” I don’t usually carry a lot of cash, but I would actually get them some gas on my debit card.

3 Likes

Being homeless decades ago, I told the last homeless guy who hit me up “duuuude, you’re in the wrong state to be homeless’ then extolled the virtues of camping in the Tetons and setting up residence on the streets of San Francisco.
Got suckered by a crackhead at the gas station, pulled in behind me, needed money for gas to get to Hartford. I looked at his car, figured $3 would do it, and hit my change pile, dimes and quarters. He want $5, I said this is what I have…He took the change and split, no gas, away from Hartford.
Not sure, but 2 guys in NYC strike up a conversation, want me to have a CD. I’m there for a show, sure I’ll listen to your rap :roll_eyes:. Ohhhh, they want $4. You know, 4 singles, the amount that makes you dig deep…my spider sense tingles, I say I ain’t got no money, one guy says “but your kid got a twenty”…I look at my kid pulling out a twenty, country hick in the big city in need of a lesson, which I gave to him in my old hood in Frisco, look at the guys, and in my biggest crosseyed broken nosed monobrowed crayzee look, just smiled and said “yeah, and you ain’t gettin’ it.” They agreed with that statement.
The Frisco lesson, my boy did well. Stare through, not at, game face, steady pace. Helps being 6’2” 220 and solid…with crossed eyes, a broken nose, and a monobrow :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:…genetics, doncha’ know.

5 Likes

I like my police officers to have cutting edge equipment and current ballistic vests as well as resources to be effective in communities of color. Period ! I did vote to defund not to disband no money for tactical vehicles , and military equipment unless it can be used in a civilian application that prevents loss of life. Non lethal weapons for distance weapons like knives better training for de escalation. Basically the defund just means reallocation of funds toward the actual policing of the population not population control by fear and intimidation. Policing is a hard job but our job as armed citizens is ten times harder we literally can’t be wrong when we pull triggers , we don’t get the luxury of qualified immunity. We get presumed guilty and have to prove our innocence. My anxiety level doesn’t raise when I see a cop car in my rear view, I know to cut on my interior lights and wait for commands after rolling down the window , I’m black in America I’m seen before I’m believed and stereotyped often just because society has been lied to for centuries if your told a-lie long enough people believe it . Lady walks up I say can I help you position her as my 12 o’clock Look over her shoulder and scan my 6 39 6 3 9 12 ma’am you need to call the police now here let me help you by calling them for you , I am scanning for her male counterparts and watching her hands if she is gesticulating while she is doin that I move to the 1 or 11 and force her to turn to face me always making sure to keep her in view and on an angle so you can clearly see if she is sizing you up if she is bold enough to approach she bold enough to do you dirty ! I’m a New Yorker I’ve seen the bs go down more often than not .

2 Likes

@Forensic_Wow - it seems to me you did get robbed and she didn’t even need a weapon.

I think giving up $20 bucks when you knew for sure it was a scam is just reinforcing bad behavior and they will move on to bigger and better fish.

I personally don’t like rewarding bad behavior, but I am not too cheap. I do give to organizations that will help people who really do need help, not the ones that are just out to leach on others. Just my two cents here.

7 Likes

I live in a small town that is the County Seat.

The Chief of Police & County Sheriff’s departments have access to emergency fund from Red Cross & Goodwill. There is a Women’s shelter (Freedom House) in town. I offer to make a call for any panhandling individual, cell phone in hand! Have not had occasion to call for assistance, the conversation normally ends!

5 Likes

“No, sorry. Can’t help you. Good luck.”
I make exceptions, but that’s the line I practice. Remember to control the space.

I gather that you thought you had been made as a mark on your way into the lot. If I thought that was the case, I would move on — back in the car and hit a different store or a different time. You’re exposed coming and going. Your car is exposed while you’re away. Might be nothing, but why carry the worry?

5 Likes

Hey I’m still learning. I never thought of that. I didn’t recognize that I was marked. I don’t know what to fully look for or how to respond.

2 Likes

@Owen2,
Being a former New Yorker myself I know where your coming from. You used some good tactics there brother and good situational awareness. I believe that growing up in New York gave me the ability to be a better cop just by being exposed to that element. As New Yorkers you learn all the tricks in the book so that they can’t use them on you.

6 Likes

Although you avoided any potential altercation, you probably just bought her a couple hits of heroin. I tell them simply to ‘move on’.

4 Likes

Hello… from Arkansas here… yes ive been approached and i just tell them i dont carry cash… and then scan the parking lot… then when i go through the frt doors i turn and watch them to see where they go and what they do next… if they work their way in the direction of my vehicle i go back to my vehicle and leave

6 Likes

From your narrative, I get that you recognized something irregular seemed to be happening — departing car turns around as you pass; returning car parks close to you; occupant of car does not proceed to store for something forgotten, but approaches you. That’s it — flag up. Your brain already knows.

Next step is deciding how ominous or how innocuous, then keeping a narrow set of alternative actions in the front of your attention until the incident resolves. Maybe you press on with your “right” to do what you want, when and where — maybe you decide to change plans. Whatever. The objective is to avoid coming to harm with the least hassle.

Even if you didn’t put the sequence of the panhandler’s actions together until later, your brain apparently noted and retained relevant warning signs. In that case just work on being more conscious of your brain’s “weird alerts” in real time. But try to not get stuck developing general schemes of response in real time — have some options already thought through, and just select/adapt the best fit in the moment.

5 Likes