What would you do: Grocery Store Shooter and Other Concealed Carriers

A drawn weapon is likely to be taken as an offensive mode. Low ready and Sul positions might be a little less offensive but are still an immediate threat to someone that does not know your intentions. In a chaotic situation I would be very concerned about being mistaken for the active shooter. With my hand on my gun in its holster I can draw and engage very rapidly.

3 Likes

This was my thought as well. What if the person rounding the corner is a good guy and sees you with gun in hand and mistakes you for the bad guy?

Although there doesnā€™t seem to be a definitive answer here, running scenarios in your head will at least let you think about a specific situation. The more you think about something before it happens could give you a jump start on your response before you need it. My thought anyway.

I agree, I like running scenarios in my head and practicing them at the range. This scenario isnā€™t really useful from an actionable response perspective. But it is a good one for thinking about how not to be that good guy mistaken for being the bad guy. I would bet that most responding LEOs and CCL holders are going to treat anyone with a gun in their hand as the active shooter.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. I see the news and wonder what would I do. In this case I would have my wife protected and my gun drawn in a non-offensive position. I think others around me would see my actions and not assume I am at risk. A calming jester would help.

If I was the individual turning the corner, my firearm should be pointed down in a non-aggressive mode.

If the individual turned the corner and pointed a gun at me without seeing my gun then it is unholstered and I have my primary grip.

I prefer to keep hand on HOLSTERED handgun. This way you are still ready to fight, but donā€™t create confusion to others who you areā€¦ bad or good guy.

1 Like

Good thought. I hope I can remember it if needed.

The correct moral answer to your question is simply ā€œNO!ā€ The other person may be just like you. You should be seeking cover, not hunting a person with a gun.

2 Likes

Train, then practice it.
Donā€™t practice shooting only. You win the fight that never happens. Be prepared, but avoid drawing the firearm. That should be the last action if no other option is available. However there is always the other optionā€¦ you just have to know how to find it.
Clear your garment, keep hand on the grip and wait. Look for other options. Shooting is easy at the Range and even easier in our mind. You will have more problems taking the shot than using the other options. The best is always: ā€œavoid, find the way out, escapeā€. This costs nothing, especially humanā€™s life and itā€™s mentally easier to execute than taking the shot at living person.

3 Likes

Iā€™d get the hell away from the where the shots rang out. Most stores have exits all around, if not, hide in the back of the store in an employee section with your hand on the gun not drawn.

My first reaction at gun shots would not be to pull my gun out. Doesnā€™t mean the gun wonā€™t come out soon, but I know nothing about the situation by just hearing shots.

Hypotheticals can be fun, but they are often useless.

4 Likes

If he was a bad guy he would have already fired when he turned the cornerā€¦ Bad guys donā€™t hesitate they turn the corner shooting
]

3 Likes

Ok! You lose!

1 Like

Why are you so enamored with Kobayashi Mary scenarioā€™s?

1 Like

For some:

1 Like

That would be a tough call. Hopefully there would be some indicator to help you make the decision. However there will be someone everyday that may have to make that decision. If possible try not to engage until you know who the bad guy/s are. This could be the problem when someone came up on a situation with two people and does not know who to help. One could be a police officer and if he saw someone come upon the scene he may engage them not knowing if they are with the person he is confronting. This would really test your training instincts.

I agree. These stupid ā€œexercisesā€ have no connection to reality.

ā€œTrust the eyes???ā€ WTH is that supposed to mean? Whatever the OP wants it to mean, I guess. I donā€™t recall the ā€œtrust the eyesā€ exercise in my USCCA concealed carry class.

Please stop this nonsense.

3 Likes

I rest my case.

4 Likes

Facts? What facts? This is a made up hypothetical. And thereā€™s the ā€œgotcha.ā€

Perfect!

2 Likes

Iā€™d check out his clothes ā€“ you know, to see if he was wearing something that screams ā€œI have a gunā€ or not. If not, then I would assume he was too sneaky to be trusted and shoot him. If so, then Iā€™d assume he was actually a developmentally disabled adult with an Airsoft pistol and jerk my wife in front of me as a human shield, put the gun to her head, and scream, ā€œDrop the weapon or the **** gets it!ā€

Hey, you said there was no correct answer. :partying_face:

5 Likes

Iā€™d push the magical turn-all-guns-into-bananas (:gun: ā†’ :banana:) button I keep on my belt. Problem solved!

2 Likes

Exactly! :rofl:

P.S. ā€¦which is precisely why you need to own more than one pistol. :crazy_face:

2 Likes