What riflescope to choose?

Hello everyone! Sorry if I posted in wrong topic but hope I will find the answers here. I attended range with my friend few times and I am really like into it. So I decided to purchase my own rifle and finally I am an owner of Ruger 10/22 sporter. But the problem is that I haven’t had dealt with optics and I don’t know which scope is better to choose for target shooting. I found here older related topics and some people there recommended Sig Sauer Romeo/ Leupold/ Bushnell/Vortex but that was old topic maybe now you can suggest something else? Or specific model?

1 Like

This is like choosing the best oil…or car. It matters what you want it to do for you, how skilled you are in using one, your budget, and more. I hate buyer’s remorse, and stick with the lower priced end of quality items and are rarely disappointed. Do you want magnification or a red dot, for instance? How far away will you be shooting? How heavy do you want it to be?

I use this on my 10/22.
UTG 4-16X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings. SCP3-UM416AOIEW, $115.

I use a ton of Leapers/UTG equipment and it has all been fantasic and trouble free.

Join Opticsplanet and call to place your order. Ask for a better price and you’ll get one. Most don’t ask. $49+ free S&H too. They are superb to deal with.

4 Likes

I am leaning towards magnification scope as I have already had a pistol with red dot sight and want to try something new. I’d like to shot over 400 yards, not very heavy (about 25 oz) and my budget is about $500.

You are not going to shoot 400 yards with a 10/22 the most is maybe 100 yards so you can use a lower powered scope

3 Likes

I don’t think this is the right scope for 10/22, but I recently purchased this scope for my .45-70 and hate it. I do not recommend it because the reticle is too dim to see. Worst scope I’ve ever bought. It is the Bushnell Engage 2-10x44mm Rifle Scope REN21044DG.

Congrats on the 10/22. Best .22 rifle IMHO.

2 Likes

Absolutely right, not even Bob Lee Swagger is going to push a .22 that far. However, your budget gives you plenty of options, go with your budget but don’t be cheap. Buy the best, only cry once!

1 Like

I thought that right riflescope will give me a chance shooting over 100 yards. Thank you, I didn’t take into account caliber as after searching and reading all scopes reviews I am little confused

Thanks! What do you think about these two Leupold VX-R Patrol vs Vortex Viper PST Gen II Review in 2023 - Tactics FAQ? Seems like they almost don’t have cons :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I think this would be a good one to consider for a 10/22

I got mine on sale for $200, deals come and go at different vendors

6 Likes

I don’t have experience with either of these two but know the higher end Vortex and leupolds are good scopes. I just have a cheap but solid old Bushnell 1-4 on my 10/22. The 1x is fun for rapid shots on multiple or moving targets and the 4 gives you a little bit of precision on smaller targets at further distances. If you really want to get into hitting precision targets out at 100 yards you might want more magnification in the 10+ range. But then you might need to use some higher quality ammo and make some rifle upgrades (trigger and maybe barrel) for the rifle to match the optic precision wise.

2 Likes

Another that I am happy with is: RL-RS-REVO-3-9x40-67090 Redfield Revolution 3-9x40mm Matte 4-Plex Riflescope. Not expensive and perfectly excellent.

3 Likes

Thank you guys! I am going to check all the scopes you have mentioned when I get a chance to visit gunshop as I am afraid to order it online. The best is to check it live.

1 Like

I personally don’t know what strangers are capable of but this person shoots a 22 at 400 yards and hits his target. Get a scope with a MOA reticle since they are finer hash marks. It’s probably easier than you think.

5 Likes

Here is the Bushnell Deploy MOA reticle.

I like the bullet drop + app for $2 which tells you drop in moa, MILs, or inches.

2 Likes

I’ll bite…what are you going to learn about it live that you can’t online from people who have used them?

1 Like

I concur that this reticle is faint. The online images are somewhat cartoonish and don’t point out how thin the reticle is. I probably wouldn’t have bought mine if I had looked through it first. I kept it instead of the hassle of returning it, but didn’t wind up using it for the rifle I intended to.

1 Like

I’m shooting.22lr at steel pretty well at 300 yards, but that is my limit I am sure as we’re at a bit over an 11 foot drop. 400…just making me chuckle, unless you have a direct tailwind :sweat_smile:. In essence, one is a 50 yard gun, sub moa, the other 100, 2 moa. After 100 it’s 12x12 steel.
My .22 LR rifles are using 3-9x40, that Vortex referenced above is a good choice.

2 Likes

Can’t beat the Leupold for the price. It remains in your budget.
I do have to ask why are we putting such awesome glass on a .22?
Are you hunting game with it or plinking?
IMHO sounds like a lot of cash on a non-battlefield rifle?
You mentioned your acquisition is recent, have you mastered your iron sights yet.

2 Likes

I checked the drop on my app and I was within 11 inches of your drop. Sounds like a fun way to pass a few hours.

1 Like

I want to hear as many opinions as I can and then I want to check all available options live.

2 Likes