What riflescope to choose?

Glass clarity/brightness, edge to edge clarity, eye relief/eyebox. I find sometimes what people tell me about things like this don’t match what I see in person. Sometimes it’s a matter of expectations differing, or maybe different eyes, or different experiences (or not) a person has with good scopes that slants how they perceive something

2 Likes

I came here for advice, I want good scope but I don’t have idea is there any sense in purchasing ones which I see while searching it online. That is why I ask here for help as I hope here I can find experienced shooters who can give worthwhile advices.

4 Likes

10/22 I wouldn’t go wild on a scope. Personally, the $100 offerings in 3-9 suffice for me, newish and old Bushnell’s. Nikon, if they’re still doing rifle Scopes had one I use on a couple 5.56 guns and they’re quite clear. The vortex above is a no brainer purchase imo. Not sure if the 10-22 has a normal pic rail or the narrower milled style like my Savage and Marlin, so be aware of what rings are available.
.22lr at distance on steel, you’re going to want amplified ears so you can hear your hits, and realize lead doesn’t make much of a ‘tink’ and even less shimmy.Spotting scope with the smaller rounds and sub 24x rifle scope comes in handy as well if shooting paper past 100.

4 Likes

Just gathering info for better advice. Pardon the deep dive.
Stick with the Leupold, still run by the family, great quality glass and can be found on sale on many online sites.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth just about every rifle I own wears a Leupold scope (the only exceptions are some Kahle’s and a Swarovski). Their VX-3 line is my go to every time. Over the last 2 decades I have broken (my fault) two of them and I bought one with a used gun that was already broken.

Leupold repaired one to factory new condition and replaced the other 2 scopes with brand new ones under their lifetime warrantee, no questions, no hassles. They are a high quality scope to start with but the customer service of this amazing American Company is way above and beyond anything else in the industry.

2 Likes

If you are looking for a precision optic to shoot precisely then you will spend $$$$ My case is surely the exception to the rule. On my 10/22 I have a Leupold 4.5 X 14 X 50 Target that was converted by Premier Reticle to a Mil Dot Gen II back when Mil Dot’s were restricted to civilians. To that end I enjoy fiddling around with it out to 400 yards on calm mornings or tuning up for precision out to 200 yards on any day. With a 22 of any flavor your ammo is the break point. If you find something that works good buy enough to last your life time.

I digress. For a goods optic choice get something with “turrets” or external knobs, a bigger main tube will net you more travel in your adjustments. Crosshairs are fine. Get something with an “AO” Adjustable Objective" or “Side Focus” to dial out your parallax. Don’t get anything more than 20X as you can’t hold it still. PM me if you have more questions I have to run.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

@Charlie27 Check out the Leupold and the Vortex Viper at the sporting goods store or gun store in your area in real time, looking thru the scopes, holding each with your own hands, getting a feel and visual is the best thing to do as you decide to buy. Both are good reliable scopes.

2 Likes

Thanks, sounds great! I am going to do that this weekend :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thank you all, guys! Now I have enough information to think over and finally choose. This weekend I will finally get a riflescope, just want to check options you suggested in real time :saluting_face:

2 Likes

Wait. Also look at Burris Veracity. I have the 4-10×40 on my Bergara .308 and it too is an excellent scope without breaking the bank.

2 Likes

My rifle is set up for home defense, so I have a Meprolight green x reflex sight behind a magnifier, but I’ve been contemplating getting a battle rifle.

I wanted the Acog with the acss reticle, but those are no longer available, so I am really at a loss.

2 Likes

How about an ACOG with a circle-dot reticle, or chevron, or horse-shoe dot

3 Likes

I put a 2x9 power redfield scope on mine. I love it because it can also be used for a spotter scope for my buddies who are sighting in their deer rifles.

2 Likes

I posted this in the show your targets thread too, but since this is a 22 scope thread I figured it was applicable here as well. Bone stock 22 with a cheap 3x9 MIL Dot scope Playing at 200 yards with cheap bulk pack 36 grain ammunition. 5 MILs hold off.

3 Likes

Pretty sure you can save yourself a lot of time and effort and just take @Craig6 advice. He is pretty much the resident expert on long guns and things scope related.

1 Like

If it were me, I’d go with a decent lpvo. Something like a 1x6 or so. That’d give good magnification at 1-300 yds. As far as the price, I wouldn’t break the bank unless you’re doing precision. $100-300 range has a lot of decent options.

Just want to throw this out: Ryan Cleckner’s book, “Long Range Shooting Handbook,” is an excellent resource for anyone getting into the subject. His videos (search NSSF Cleckner on YouTube) are excellent short tutorials on the topic.

2 Likes

I have that book.

1 Like

Me too. I read it in its entirety in two evenings. I refer to it often. In fact, it’s literally lying next to my computer as I type this.

Nice!.