What is your religion and why?

Religion is a social construct.

1 Like

I think if you will read the 220 messages before yours, you will see that “social construct” doesn’t match with the opinions of a vast majority in this thread.

2 Likes

The “vast majority” helps reinforce my assertion of a social construct.

2 Likes

Thank you. I, too, support anyone’s right to practice whatever religion they choose, including the right not to choose any religion at all. I don’t see a lot of that sentiment and charity coming from religious zealots however. Religion is tribal; it’s a way to identify people of common belief systems and find an excuse for fellowship. It’s like Los Angeles street gangs with holy books and a choir. If you have enough people of a common belief, you can justify anything, including taking things away from others who don’t hold similar beliefs. Its like the Mafia with holy books and a choir. But, of course, no one likes to hear that.

2 Likes

As well as gender. And if you ask Rachael Dolezhal, skin color as well.
Real things are people causing climate change and racist babies.

1 Like

Not exactly how I would have put it, but yes, I can appreciate your sentiments here. Thank you.

2 Likes

Then perhaps we have differing definitions of that term. How are you using it?

2 Likes

Religion comes from people.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, that doesn’t look like a definition of “social construct.”

2 Likes

Okay, whatever.

2 Likes

Maybe this will help you.

2 Likes

I know the dictionary definition of the term. I asked how you are using it.

I’m also curious about your participation in this thread. You don’t seem to have answered the thread’s question.

2 Likes

The thread asked people to address:

I think what I said does just that.

2 Likes

Comments that are personally attacking will be flagged and removed. Please see the Community Guidelines for further details.

We do not expect everyone to agree on everything. We do expect the conversation to stay civil, on-topic and discussing the ideas, not personally attacking someone because they have different views.

A productive conversation doesn’t always agree, but it does stay on-topic and have a level of civility so that all involved and reading it can learn from a variety of views.

2 Likes

read… the Koran/Quran tells ya why there can be no peace between the Jews and the Muslims…

also many blame the Jews for the death of Jesus… never mind that it was for told and required…

for our salvation… the list goes on… but ya gotta dig for it… sorta an ethnic cleansing thing…

3 Likes

4 Likes

You’re in the Miscellaneous section.

2 Likes

If you don’t want to discuss religion, why did you open this thread?

2 Likes

That’s no big deal. If someone wants to wish the blessings of Zeus or Thor or Cthulu on me, it doesn’t annoy me one bit. I don’t have to share someone’s religion in order to accept their well wishes.

Now if someone wishes the curses of a deity upon you, you may have cause for offense.

7 Likes

I believe there is a growing c
Population of people looking for any excuse to say they’re offended. Stop wearing your feelings on your shoulders. You’re not helping.

1 Like