What is this Online CCW CERT?

I personally don’t think you need to attend class to get a CCW, so not sure my answer is apropos. No offense, I’m very glad to have people of your background out there, I just don’t think my “rights” should be regulated and certainly not predicated on some bureaucratic nonsense.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Derrick12

I have never heard of them so I cannot tell if they are a scam or real.

Being in Minnesota, I would suggest reaching out to the Sheriff of the county where you live to check with them. Permits in Minnesota are issued by local Sheriffs and they would ultimately be the ones to determine if that training meets the requirements.

3 Likes

I agree 100% . All I am stating is that before everyone gets a gun , they be taught how to use and store it safely. And I don’t feel a person can get that from an online video .

And therein lies the rub. I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but the left would say, “See! Even the experts agree that you should have to take a training course before you can buy a gun! And we need safe storage laws!” It’s kind of like the only place I go that I can’t carry concealed – a gun show.

1 Like

I hope your right .

1 Like

All I care about is people be responsible gun owners , if the law says that a person can get that education online , then I accept it , don’t like it , but accept it.

Why stop there , let’s hope next time we fly the pilot didn’t get his pilot license online .

People can get hurt and/or dead . The education and certification needs to be taken seriously .

1 Like

When I took my CCC in Louisiana, I was told that some instructors would accept online training courses as you have to have some livefire time as well. Many instructors will not sign off on someone that has used only online training. For me I never considered using just online training. While the 8 hr in person class was more expensive and took more time, it also covered many things the online instruction does not and in person I can ask questions. IMO if you are serious about being a responsible gun owner, you will/should welcome as much personal training as possible. Even if your the best, new thoughts and ideas or just a different point of view is always helpful, even if you learn what not to do. Just one mans opinion. :thinking:

Well, coming from “the left” I’ve got to say that is a very prudent thing for a prospective firearm user to seek — but as a requirement it is pretty directly in conflict with 2A. Responsibility for abuse or ignorance in the exercise of a right can and should fall heavily upon the offender, not upon the innocent. How you prevent the irresponsible from harming others is a bit of a challenge in a free country.

The Oregon Sheriffs’ Association online course IIRC did not contain anything substantial about gun safety, gun operation, or gun storage. It was about the legal considerations applicable to a concealed handgun license holder specifically — and use-of-force/self-defense laws more generally. If you want firearm proficiency, you would want a different class.

Somewhat oddly, the rules allowed documented completion of a Hunter Safety course or MIL/LE service as alternative qualification. Even though those backgrounds are mainly about firearm safety and operation — with little or nothing relevant to Oregon law specific to CHL holders.

2 Likes

well said

You don’t have a ‘right’ to fly. Just saying…

The Constitution does not affirm a natural born Right to fly a commercial aircraft, so not really an apt comparison.

From a practical perspective, we know it’s not a problem to allow people to exercise their Rights straight up. There are states that have had permitless carry for literally decades, as well as Shall Issue states that have required 0 training for literally decades. Nobody, not even the die hard anti-Liberty and anti-Rights individuals, can demonstrate that requiring training to get a carry permit, or requiring training to own a gun, has an impact.

And really, if we are talking about safe storage and how to handle a firearm, and suggesting that there should be government regulation in place forcing people to show proof of a certain education first, logically that should apply to mere ownership/possession, just in the home…should it not?

Personally I just say no to all gun control.

People didn’t believe me when I said in another thread on here that sometimes I rub others the wrong way because I am a fan of “too much freedom” or “too much Liberty”.

But that’s what this is, when some of us say there should be no permits at all, let alone required training, the people saying the opposite, are basically saying that we have too much Freedom/too much Liberty.

2 Likes

Something that seems to be missing from this conversation is the BENEFIT of receiving training specifically on the legal ramifications of using lethal and non-lethal force as well as the pitfalls that many gun owners with little to no training fall into.

Our USCCA courses offer so much more information on these areas as opposed to how to develop a proper grip, stance, sight alignment and sight picture. In fact, most of my clients leave our training sessions admitting that they were never taught just how much of a responsibility and a huge pain in the ass carrying a firearm is and can be.

I see my role as an Instructor as not some “Agent of the State” that people must grovel to in order to get “permission” to own a gun. Far from it actually. My role is an educator to help citizens stay clear of legal, financial and moral ruin from being ignorantly negligent.

If all of my Concealed Carry Classes went away with the stroke of a Governor’s hand, I would actually feel relieved. Because that would mean that clients would seek me out because they strongly desire to learn how to be responsible as opposed to people who just want “permission” from the State.

2 Likes

Not sure. But interesting post, as nation-wide we have experienced scams. For newbies, please bear in mind the importance of official state licenses if & where required. I’m partial to in-person classes instead; I believe we get so much more out if it.

If you’re not sure, check with our local gun-ranges as they often have licensure classes right there, usually available within a few weeks or less. There’s no such thing as a short cut, only short changing yourself from learning so much more, risking violating ethics or laws, all just to save a few bucks - not worth it.

1 Like

Our last Governor, Northam, passed legislation requiring in-person classes for CC permits, then the bs COVID-19 restrictions made in-person classes impossible as one could not be in a group of unrelated people. Hence, one more reason to be against any “common-sense gun control”. There were no statistics proving on-line classes created any issues, but when the goal is to restrict access, leave no stone unturned.

4 Likes

My Virginia CCP (which I obtained online five years ago) recently expired. I reached out to the State to determine renewal requirements. Now, in order to renew, I would have to take a State approved CCW course and travel to the State to apply in person. Not going to happen,

1 Like

Thank the last Democrat governor and all-Democrat legislature of a few years ago for totally messing with the gun laws of Virginia, including doing away woih state pre-emption, so local jursidictions can add their own restrictions.
Join and support VCDL, even if you are not a Virginia resident.

1 Like

Virginia no longer accepts the online course as proof for the Concealed Handgun Permit.

1 Like

Totally concur. Join VCDL, great organization.

As responsible firearms owners we have been sleeping at the wheel. The flip in Virginia really screwed up many things. If we are not willing to work hard in electing 2A advocates to change the harmful legislation in our state, this is just circling down the drain.

Prince William County, a 2A sancturary county, has a Board of Supervisors that is trying to implement some additional gun-control. We MUST act against this at every single opportunity.

1 Like

Not surprising. As I said, the all Dem government played like a Richard with the laws.-

BTW, @Craig_AR, I just noticed that you are a DSF Instructor. Are you still located in VA? What location? I’m a CCHDF instructor, and I’m interested in taking the DSF class.