What is the communities view on Interceptor ammunition?

3 Likes

Sure, if you are an air marshal.

New designs like this will take a few decades to prove, and I am not an early adopter in general.

3 Likes

It looks like they jumped on the modified philips screwdriver tip as everyone else seems to be doing, using different metals, polymers, voodoo, whatever it takes to get more tumble, yaw, penetration, spin, back spin, somersaults, cartwheels, etc. I do see trouble with the company name of Inceptor as it will easily be seen as Interceptor by prosecutors, judges and juries who will construe it to mean you went out and bought this to Intercept and kill bad guys. Other than that, it looks pretty cool, might give it a try.

2 Likes

This is the first time I here of it and never used it.

2 Likes

First I’ve heard of that. A polymer bullet
:thinking: Definitely need more research on it before drawing any conclusions. It could leave a lot of deposits in the barrel and make it tough to clean
or
it could significantly increase the barrel life by being easier on it.

As said in the thread, time, feedback, and torture test results will help.

In any case, thanks for sharing. I always like to learn about new products.

5 Likes

I am going to go on record and state that I am skeptical. Why? First, if this theory worked, this non-expanding style would be all the rage among the big manufacturers and notably the FBI, who has done extensive tests and has a massive database of data.

Second, the physics and mechanics dont seem to be there. This is a non-expanding bullet. There are two areas of the wound cavity, the permanent and temporary wound cavity. Human tissue is an elastic medium. The permanent would channel is the tissue that is damaged and the temporary wound cavity is where the wound cavity expands but does not rip and tear. Not an exact explanation, but maybe there is a doctor in the house who can explain it better. Think of all the videos of shots into ballistic gelatin where you see the expansion then it comes back. The permanent wound cavity is what you see in the gelatin. Based on FBI data backed up by the medical community, a projectile needs to be traveling greater than 2200 FPS to overcome the natural elasticity in the human body and to start creating rips and tears in the secondary wound cavity. This is one of the reasons why in handguns, calibers dont matter for the most part. You just dont have enough velocity to create the damage by the shock of the bullet hitting the soft tissue, so you are dependent on expansion and penetration to create primary damage to vital organs. If I look at the 9mm +P loading, you have a 65 grain bullet traveling at 1695 FPS (barrel length not given, so in a compact defensive handgun, it is probably lower). So, this light bullet is still traveling slower than that “magic” 2200 FPS mark. You are shooting a wiffle ball. No, I am not going to say its so ineffective that I am going to volunteer to be shot by it and yes, it is going to not be comfortable to the recipient, but based on what I know about bullet performance from reading the FBI publications on the subject, this is not going to be the best option available to put in my handgun for defensive purposes. This is all my opinion, and you all are free to agree/disagree try it out.

3 Likes

It looks like interesting ammo as a copper and polymer mix I cannot imagine it has mass on it’s side. That said it should have less felt recoil and a higher MV. Two things are confusing though due to it’s shape the web site says it creates a venturi effect yet in the same breath they mention high frangibility, those two terms don’t work well with others.

@Brian139 I like your summary but IIRC (and I may not) that 2200 fps rule was for rifle rounds and varied significantly based on the mass, diameter and shape of the boolit. The hydrostatic shock you are referring to in your “temporary wound cavity” will certainly increase with velocity but does not always hold true in some mediums if the boolit fails to expand. I like soda bottles full of water to demonstrate it. The 223 round at 50 yards is still humming along at a fair clip, north of the magic number. Conceptually it should blow the bottle apart every time due to the hydrostatic shock. It doesn’t. You get a little hole in the front and a little hole in the back. Yet a 308 round obliterates it every time at a similar velocity due to a larger cross section. Your opinions are valid and you have done some good research.

As a Corpsman I have had the unfortunate experience to have treated hundreds of gun shot wounds in my career I also did my ER training at the Yale and Harvard Knife & Gun Clubs (College Hospital ED’s) There is no telling what one or multiple bullets will do inside the human body. I’m also a deer hunter and perform an autopsy on all my game to evaluate boolit performance. The primary factor with any round is to hit something vital that will cause a massive loss of blood quickly OR hit something structural that will cause the target to involuntarily STOP.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Ruger jumped on the bandwagon for this type of ammo a few years ago. I saw some tests by tnoutdoors9 on the ARX and it didn’t perform well. Underwood seems to have a better performing bullet design.

3 Likes

Underwood uses the bullets designed and manufactured by Lehigh Defense, who also does their own non +P cartridges. The Xtreme Penetrator in 380 or higher is exactly that
frankly too much penetration. It is a 90 gr bullet in 380. I greatly prefer the Lehigh defense Xtreme Defense which has the philips nose, 65 gr, solid copper bullet, penetrates to 15" in FBI gel consistently but opens a cavitated wound channel. You get the wound channel of a hollow point but the penetration of a FMJ. This is particularly important for .380 acp since it does not pack enough power to get great expansion of a hollow point without sacrificing penetration. It also travels pretty straight to achieve those penetrations and does not tumble like the polymer ARX rounds.

Once you get to 9mm, you can get both expansion AND penetration out of a hollow point. 380 acp is at the crossroad between expansion and penetration.

One nice thing about Xtreme Defense rounds is that they are NOT hollow points and can be used in the states that ban hollow point ammo.

Oh yes
They run well in an LCP II 380.

For .32 acp Lehigh Defense has a round called the Xtreme Cavitator. It has four scalloped sides that some to a small square tip.

They are rumored to have a .22lr round in the works but it will be crazy expensive vs. say CCI Velocitor and would only be bought by folks actually using their .22lr as their EDC.

4 Likes

I chose the X-Defender for my Beretta .32, I thought it was a good match for the 2" barrel.
I saved out 8 for tryout rounds and fired a 4" group at 25yds. with 1 flyer. Better then I anticipated. :+1:

3 Likes

There are companies I trust
 i.e. Black Hills, Underwood, and Lehigh because they have a name to protect and have proven themselves.

An upstart mixing copper and polymer resin in a cool looking mold and starting a marketing campaign still has some things to prove to me.

It could be a simple as what happens when I play a little ‘rock and roll’ and then leave a round in a ‘hot as it can get’ chamber and let it cool till the next day? What are the humidity effects on the resin? Explain how an edge induces more kinetic shock than a flat nose or hollow point?

Bla, bla, bla

3 Likes

A little more on shooting screwdriver tips

I’ve heard it said that bullets modeled after a #2 Phillip’s bit work as well as they do because they act like a boat propeller spinning super fast (the speakers express it in RPM derived from moving at over 1000 fps) and they claim it then will liquefy, or hydraulically shock (whatever that is), any soft flesh in their path. On this I call bull puckey. Let’s assume your bore has a 1 in 10 twist for simplicity. When the bullet leaves the barrel it is moving really fast and spinning at about 1 revolution/10 inches. That means to pass through a large mass of flesh 20" thick it will make two complete revolutions, if you assume no loss in rotational speed due to friction. Hardly the same thing as a ‘hole shot’ (pun intended) from a high pitch impeller spinning at high RPM.

Here’s what I think does matter though. In a very broad sense it works just like a fluted barrel does. Flutes on the outside of a barrel increase the exposed surface area and more area means more cooling (transfer of thermal energy). On a bullet, add properly ‘pitched’ flutes with large surface areas (relatively speaking) to a rotating bullet and now those flutes work to transfer kinetic energy along nearly infinite vectors as the bullet passes through flesh. In the end the result is ‘sort of’ the same as a high speed impeller but not for the reasons that we typically hear.

And they look cool.

2 Likes

I agree that the wound channel effect is not from spinning force. It is cavitation of the scooped flutes in the bullet as it drives through the flesh. For me, the physics of the Xtreme Defense Lehigh bullet seems to be an optimum blend of penetration and some wound channel widening. It’s a 380 fer cryin’ out loud so it does take some balancing of parameters for best results. I think XD is it.

3 Likes

Well I come from old school (Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, Elmer Keith). I have read the science and as stated well above is sound. But my short 64 yrs of experience just tell me that the two best bullets are an all lead core copper jacketed or a cast lead/tin/antimony bullet. So the jury is still out on many of these new Star Wars bullets for now.
P.S. Rocklock makes a very good point about the name and all its defensive attributes and how a prosecutor can make there case. Just my 2cents

3 Likes

A test by people with more time, money and equipment then me. A good test I think. :+1:

2 Likes