+P Ammo

I personally don’t see a Major advantage to +P ammunition, but that being said I’m not against it. My opinion is a bullet is going to “hurt” no matter a few more FPS. What are some of your thoughts on the subject?

6 Likes

I can say I’ve noticed a difference. I will say, it fires smoother than range ammo.

6 Likes

I think most modern JHP defense ammo is designed to work well without needing the extra speed. Though there are some bullets that do not reach the necessary velocity needed to expand out of shorter barrels. That is the only reason I would consider going with +p. But there are plenty of standard velocity rounds that seem to work fine out of shorter barrels. At least in the tests I have seen.

7 Likes

Valid point @Shamrock , that aspect didn’t cross my mind till now. I definitely think i’ll research more into that, honestly thanks for comment.

6 Likes

Hmm, good idea @Marrio for an experiment my next range visit.

5 Likes

Most of my carry ammo is +P. Not much of a recoil increase, I shoot it just as well and I’ll take ANY advantage I can get.

7 Likes

@Enzo_T I’ve noticed my LEO family members are issued +P and shoot it when visiting range so I’m sure there is a reason. @Shamrock made a good point about expansion, but my thinking is a hole is a hole and since the advancement from muskets our “regular” bullets move pretty quick.

4 Likes

Some holes are better than others. Expansion creates larger wound cavities and hydro-static shock which in turn causes more bleeding and bleeding leads to incapacitation. That is why we carry HPs and not FMJs. The fact is that many defensive bullets are not reliable expanders especially out of shorter barrels common in compact carry guns. Higher velocities aids in expansion and as I said, I’ll take any advantage I can get!

6 Likes

Are you using 9mm NATO for range ammo? My go to 9mm +P (not high tech) shoots lighter than the NATO labeled stuff.

6 Likes

I have seen tests where the bullets at the higher velocities perform worse than the standard velocity. If the bullet is pushed too fast the petals can open up very quickly sometimes leading to less penetration and sometimes folding completely over creating a a deep enough but overall narrower wound channel. Some bullets like Federal HST appear to perform as well or better at standard velocities. But others like the gold dot G2s seem to need all the speed they can get to expand at all.

It really depends on the performance window for the particular bullet. But in the end I think the differences will be minor and the most important thing, as always, will be shot placement. As long as the bullet goes deep enough to hit something important and expands reasonably well enough to transfer some energy into the target.

7 Likes

In thinking, clothing density could help/hurt expansion effectiveness too. (in some degree)

3 Likes

@Shamrock reading this I curiously checked out for video on Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P 9mm from a baby Glock26. (short barrel/polymer tip comparison)

3 Likes

When I did my CCW qualification, a retired US Marshall was there doing his re-qual. He introduced me to Liberty Civil Defense. The 9mm is only 50gr, but has a muzzle velocity of 2000fps.

3 Likes

95% of the time, no. That said, I will send several +P defensive ammo rounds down range for the “real world” feel of it

6 Likes

Get yourself a chronograph and take the guess work out. PS: good tool to have for reloading too.
:us::us::us:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t carry it not meeting FBI specs, but it’s a free country @Alces_Americanus if you like it load it

4 Likes

Depending on your “duty”, the +P flexlock (bonded) prob performs better through vehicle doors and such.

From their marketing. “bullet that delivers “barrier blind” performance when shot through common urban barriers.”

I avoid them in my polymers.

5 Likes

This is also very true but as far as diminished penetration is concerned the FBI standard is rather generous. A High Center Chest shot needs to penetrate only a few inches to be effective even if the bad guy is a huge guy wearing heavy clothing just about all ammo in 9mm and above should do the trick and I’d rather have the more assured expansion which I find the critical parameter from my perspective.

4 Likes

I like the fact that it doesn’t contain any lead. I wouldn’t want to poison the the guy.

7 Likes

the only +p I have is my pile of Winchester Ranger 147 +P, having gotten a good deal a few years back. It shoots beautifully, like .45acp, and runs 100% in my 8 9mm guns, some of which are a bit finicky with standard loads. It’s a bit much in my G43 recoil wise, so I use regular 115/124 grain IMI razorcore in that gun when carried. As @Scotty mentioned above, less kick than NATO in my experience as well.
I liken +p/NATO ammo to premium gasoline in that if you’re experiencing some hiccups, stovepipes etc, this will clear that up.(P80 builders take note!). Make sure your gun is rated for +p beforehand, though.

4 Likes