What have you learned recently regarding firearms

I learned something simple from @Craig6 yesterday during my visit with him. I have not shot my rifle yet or zeroed in my red dot sight. I happened to have my rifle with me which is my M&P sport 2 556 cal. As he was looking at it I mentioned the fact that I hadn’t zeroed in my sight yet. He put the rifle onto the vice and separated the upper from the lower, he asked me to look through the bore at a stationary target across the street. He then lined up my iron sights with that target across the street and my red dot and they were dead on. I checked it this morning and lord behold it was still dead on. Something simple which I didn’t know. I know when I shoot that rifle it’s going to be pretty much on point. Thanks brother for your help and I put this out there because anyone can learn. Even with the years I have spent with firearms I haven’t improvised like this. A perfect example of the community/family being there to help one another. Once again thanks brother @craig6 and I’m looking forward to learn more from you brother.

27 Likes

I’ve learned having good people in your life who will push you to that next level are invaluable

15 Likes

I’m just jealous that you got to shoot with @Craig6 !

7 Likes

It’s also an example of what we learn from each other face-to-face, which in recent years has declined substantially, and in 2020 declined exponentially.

I’d like eventually all of us VA folks could meet up for a shoot-around somewhere

8 Likes

That would be great!

5 Likes

We did not get to shoot brother @Ouade5 we just made acquaintance and it was awesome.

5 Likes

That sound like a great idea brother @Harvey and that is a great possibility.

4 Likes

@Harvey
I hope you manage to succeed in meeting with VA folks.

4 Likes

Absolutely! Zoom is great for many things but doesn’t replace human contact and working with somebody face to face.

5 Likes

Anybody got a farm or a range somewhere in the middle? I’m about as close to one corner as you can get without getting your feet wet.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

They say, If you build it they will come, to go shooting!

4 Likes

It would be nice to have some meetings around the country. Perhaps as the forum grows, some can be planned. I am hoping to go to Kentucky this year to meet some folks from another forum I am active in. I have met people from 4 gun forums or so, and have made some lifelong friends.

3 Likes

Seriously, Jason148!

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60.
@Craig6 did an excellent job at breaking down what appears to be a difficult task into an easy to understand mechanical process.

Just remember the sights are now boresighted for the distance the object you used was. For more long range accuracy, take your rifle to a range and tweak the sights to a longer distance. Then shoot at multiple distances to see where you are hitting. This will help you understand the “holds” you need for different ranges.

3 Likes

Yes sir @Thomas178 and if I were going to use this rifle for anything other than home defense I would definitely consider that. I don’t do any hunting or competition shooting. Not to say I wouldn’t consider that either. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I’ve recently learned that several different guns can be manufactured at home. I’ve discovered other methods of milling 80% receivers. And that buying guns is not only expensive but addictive.

3 Likes

Don’t ever get into long range precision if you think “just guns” are expensive and addictive.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Explain what you mean by “long range precision”? Are you referring to rifle range competition?

Just verified your meaning. Yes, very expensive. I would love the rifles in that category.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I had tried to use a boresighter but I could not see the little red spot to sight in on. I am curious what distance/range did you zero your sights at?

2 Likes

@Kevin45 I believe it was about 30 to 40 yards. It was across the street I’m just estimating.

1 Like