What does "A Ban On Assault Rifles" mean?

I think that’s why we get laws against the color black on a rifle, “large capacity “ mags, bayonet lugs and so on. They are afraid of addressing the real issue of ppl do evil things. They love those rose colored glasses.

3 Likes

A attempt too ban on body armer is next

Their shuld be a ban on loonatics that bring there fire arms too schools. Would that be to much too ask?

There is no list of assault rifles, just a definition regarding selectable fire.

Assault weapon lists can be found in one or more pending bills in the US congress and many state statutes across the country where so called assault weapons are banned. Many specific firearms are identified by name and include “look alikes” along with a list of accessories that presumably make them more dangerous.

3 Likes

I concur. Now it is validated. Thanks for asking. This is what I have found, it is old, but it is a source:

In jus a few words, how would you describe an “assault weapon”?
(Some respondents provided up to three answers, Percentages Sum to More than 100%)
% of Respondents Who Mentioned….

|Automatic Weapon|29%|
|Fires Rapidly|27%|
|Large Magazines|23%|
|Fires Multiple Rounds|17%|
|Powerful/Dangerous Gun|15%|
|Military Style Weapon|13%|
|Any Weapon i.e., knife or gun|8%|
|Semi-Automatic|7%|
|Designed to kill many people|7%|
|Not for Hunting or Traditional Protection|4%|
|Other|6%|
|Answer Given|93%|
|Don’t Know|7%|
|Total 100|100%|

Here is the list of actual responses. Not what a reasonable person would claim as knowing what they are. At least 29% have a false belief of what “assault weapons” are, as the politicians are seeking to ban the AR-15, which is not an automatic weapon. The rest have no idea.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much every firearm out there…

3 Likes

What, do we have disposable weapons now like we do diapers?

3 Likes

It has already been proposed as part of the new legislation.

2 Likes

I believe it was the 1986 FOPA that banned automatic firearms. The 1938 NFA restricted them, requiring a tax stamp and additional federal scrutiny, registration and oversight. Further irony was that the 1994 “assault weapons” ban, banned many AR-15s, but not its big sister, the M-16.

4 Likes

They aren’t exactly “banned”, though for ordinary people of ordinary means they might as well be due to the costs.

Careful to be as clear as possible, because actual assault rifles aka machine guns per US law are legal provided all the things, registered prior to the 1986 freeze, NFA stamp, all that.

But not banned in that, in most states, if you have enough money, you can legally buy a full auto firearm. I suppose you could say automatics are banned from poor people…

3 Likes

Good discussion question. Kinda unpredictable. Some might use crisis as momentum on office votes, referendums, Bills. Some might borrow from other regions, NY, NJ, CA, Chicago. Some of those regions actually also have lists of models, seen/read them.

IDK, seems kind hard for government to work on past purchases, but easier for them to monitor upcoming purchases.

1 Like

The most likely start would be with a ban on the sale/purchase of “assault weapons”, and probably “assault weapon parts” like barrels, bcgs, uppers, lowers, etc.

Recently, anti-gunners have started getting “creative” with the already creative definition of assault weapon. They have shifted to include basically all semi-autos instead of focusing on pistol grips or bayonet lugs or specific models as in the past which can be sidestepped (see CA compliant ARs as an example).

I don’t know if they’d try to kick in a magazine capacity ban too at the same time. If so, 10rnds is the usual number but I’ve seen 12 or 15 round limits proposed (Colorado is 15rnds IIRC), and sometimes single-digit limits.

Most likely, if you already have it, it would be grandfathered in. This is the pattern that is usually in play for these types of bans.

I doubt very much they would go door to door confiscating (i think everyone, including Beto, knows what that would lead to). But what they WILL do is try to make it as difficult as possible to keep your existing “assault weapons” fed with ammo, maintained for parts, shot at a range, handed down to heirs, etc. It would be criminal to use them in public, you’d have Fuds/Karens reporting every AR they see, a few folks will be made an example of and everyone else will just hide it under their floor “just in case”.

I am hearing that expanded background checks and red-flag laws are on the table, and apparently with enough republican votes to possibly go through. There is already a bill that passed the House (I dont have a number handy) that is waiting for the senate to vote on.

4 Likes

I hear you.

They could end up having the votes, especially out of fear of even Republicans losing elections, given the climate of America right now.

Hence, another reason we in the 2A community can benefit from actually proactively helping to prevent some injuries/casualties, via creative ways or from different strategies, otherwise we only hurt ourselves to knee jerk reactive laws.

I don’t think the ‘climate of America’ is what we are being fed.

The media has its agenda, and social media platforms likewise have theirs.

Don’t believe that what you see in media is, in fact, an actual depiction of the climate of the country.

…and see the wave of Constitutional Carry as an indication to the contrary.

6 Likes

Great Point my friend.

I think most Americans know that a ban would only make us more defenseless.

5 Likes

Such as no GFZs and the politicians agreeing with the 2A wherein it states “shall not be infringed.”

2 Likes

I think that a ban would push most Americans over the edge. These people need something useful to fight for…with our resources.

1 Like

From what I read, there’s a lot of “fringe element leftists” who are 2A supporters as well. I’ve had two of them say we should “get along” because of this, but them quoting Marx had me responding with gtfoh…and they didn’t get invited to my club :tired_face:

2 Likes

Sorry I post in memes

Prelude to confiscation, one step at a time. Biden said on camera in the past week that he advocates banning the 9mm round in civilian circulation.

3 Likes