What Book Are You Reading Now?

“Homework” Deadly Force by Massad Ayoob, “Law of Self Defense” by Andrew Branca, and “Hug Your Haters” by Jay Baer - a great book about customer service and embracing others who have differing opinions to learn and grow.

Another AWESOME book I recommend everyone read is “Leadership and Self Deception”. It’s not related to self defense, but shares a great way of looking at people and problems instead of looking at people as problems. It’s a subtle mind shift that is life changing. About 45 pages into the book I realized some pretty substantial things about why things happened the way they did in my life and the part I played in them. Very much an ah-ha book for me. Maybe it just hit me at the exact right time.

3 Likes

Al Gore’s Internet…a lot of it on USCCA.

1 Like

Just finished this one, excellent insights on how to get out of your own way, and why you seem to have the same challenges with people over and over. Useful reading!

1 Like

On the way home from the monthly gun club meeting was listening to NPR and they had on the author of Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America from the Culture of Contempt.

You can listen to the short interview on the NPR link below.

Here is the full hour long interview on Intelligence Squared (link to my local public radio MPR.

1 Like

@Dawn thank you for posting the homework :smiley:

Finished “Leadership and Self Deception”- useful stuff in there.

Now listening to The Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition by Peter Hollins. Some good strategies, although I think some of it is old-school and maybe a bit dated. I actually like The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle a LOT better. Might put that one back in the rotation for another listen.

On Deck: Hug your Haters
In the Hole: Glock: The Rise of America’s Gun

That sounded interesting so I grabbed a copy from Amazon. It’s a really good read (so far). As an ex-LEO I can attest to a lot of it and Adam is a great writer.

400 Things Cops Know on Amazon

I ran across this also and just had to order it also.
You Can’t Make This Stuff Up: Ridiculously Real Stories from Real Cops on Amazon

1 Like

@Fish glad you’re enjoying it! I thought it was pretty well written, awesome that it gets an insider’s vote too.
Gonna go pick up "you cant make this stuff up’… sounds like something I’d enjoy!

1 Like

Washington, A Life by Ron Chernow
Nation of Cowards: Essays on the Ethics of Gun Control by Jeff Snyder

1 Like

I have to read this! I read the excerpt on Amazon and it definitely hit home for me. From the book:

And

And that is why I will continue to ask you to speak about anti-gun people as anti-gun people and not “liberals.” Respect can change a person’s mind.

3 Likes

I took his adaptive combat pistol course back in April, great instructor!

2 Likes

Across the fence by John Stryker Meyer, Beowulf Seamus Heaney translation.

1 Like

I am reading both of them too!

2 Likes

Current read:
Glock: The Rise of America’s Gun

interesting insights into the inventor, the firearm, the political intrigues, murder-for-hire scheme, and the brilliant marketing strategies that have made Glocks the standard for American gun culture that they are.

Just started this:
Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t

1 Like

REALLY like this book!!

Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t

SERIOUSLY good insight to what makes a team work, and what kills a team, and practical information about how to use the information they are providing.
@Dawn if this one isn’t on your reading list, I’d add it to your homework :smiley:
I guess much of this is already in play at USCCA, but if not, it’ll be things you can put to work. A lot of it is at work in this community too.

2 Likes

I think it’s in our library! I’ll go check and if not, I’ll pick it up. :slight_smile: Thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

Deadly Force( Understanding Your Right To Self Defense) by Massad Ayoob. For more serious reading, Full Count ( The Education Of A Pitcher ) by David Cone.
Best Regards, Patrick

3 Likes

Another great book! Have you seen any of his videos on YouTube? They’re very interesting too.

1 Like

Just started this: Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected by Rory Miller

I think this is going to be extremely useful

Started this:
Fight Like a Physicist: The Incredible Science Behind Martial Arts (Martial Science)

If you understand the WHY of how a thing works, it gives you the power to improve your self training and improvise on your feet when needed.
Some stuff in here that doesn’t apply to firearms directly but almost all of it applies to self defense.

1 Like