What best gun to carry

What best to carry every day?

One that is comfortable and works for your budget, physical restrictions, recoil tolerance, and carry position. I like my FNS9C, Glock 29, and Taurus 605, so I think they’re the best, which is why I got them. A 1911 fan, a SIG fan, and a Beretta fan are sure to disagree. :smiley:

2 Likes

The one you can handle best and is most comfortable to carry. What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. If it’s possible, I would find a range that has guns you can rent and fire a bunch if them so you know how they feel and handle. There are also “Try Before you Buy” courses that are available you may like. I took one where they had 15 of the most popular carry guns that we all fired, five rounds each. In the end they gave us each a full box of ammo and we could pick whatever gun or guns we wanted to shoot from the 15, and fire them again using our box of ammo. I ended up buying a gun that wasn’t even in the 15, but it also helped me eliminate about three that I was considering.

2 Likes

A 22 in your pocket is better than a 10mm at home

Find something that you WILL carry and can shoot with confidence

4 Likes

Very true, @Sheepdog556!

All good info I did that for a friend. I told him what I thought. I said I get bucnh of info. And yall came out and let him know what I was saying is right.
Thanks everyone

2 Likes

The one that
YOU will carry everywhere you can, and YOU will train with, in a caliber YOU can accurately put rounds in target. Me myself, I’m fond of my M&P 45c.

3 Likes

When I received my California CCW permit some years ago, I had already begun the process of choosing the “right gun” for me. My criteria was; safety, comfort, concealability, capacity and caliber.

I didn’t like the idea of carrying cocked and locked from a safety standpoint and my 1911 seemed pretty hefty to lug around all day comfortably. My XD 40 was much lighter, higher capacity but, it’s width made it less concealable and bulky to carry IWB. I also didn’t like the idea of striker fire or SA in an adrenaline filled confrontation when an accidental discharge might occur.

In my reasoning, a DA only or DA/SA were the safest platforms for me as an untrained civilian. The long DA trigger pull makes an accidental discharge nearly impossible. You have to mean to pull the trigger. Safety first. I settled on the Ruger LC9 as my EDC weapon. I carry it 95% of the time compared to my others. It’s safe, lightweight(comfortable), very concealable, when carried with the 9 round extended mag, plus 1 chambered, it has decent capacity and 9mm is a proven defensive round with a ton of ammo choices.

My 3 carry guns are the LC9, Sig Sauer SP2022 and Ruger LCR snub nose(it’s my Sunday go to meeting pocket gun) all in 9mm. My criteria might not be yours. I just wanted to share my thought process in choosing my carry guns.

1 Like

Between any Gun and Owner there is a relationship almost if not more than a marriage bond.

1. Must fit your hand perfectly
  2. Must not fail you when you need it
  3. Try Stricker and/or Hammer style to find out which style you are comfortable with.
  4. Gun with Safety are usually safer and has less accidets.
1 Like

Yes! A DAO or DA/SA is the safest and best way to go, I believe, followed by striker fire. The RSO in charge of my gun club refuses to carry a 1911 for the reasonings you listed, and I agree with him. Don’t get me wrong, I like and own 1911s, but I don’t think they give me what I am looking for.

Glad to see I’m not the only other person who has a “Sunday best” revolver. Lol.

2 Likes

I love shooting my 1911! It has a place of honor in the living room closet as a prime go to weapon, just in case.

1 Like

Well James for me, it does not make any different. Honestly, I can switch back and forth between Beretta 92FS (DA/SA) and Smith Wesson (Stricker) and still be accurate.
It is just a matter of foucus and proper training.

Oh, I can maintain accuracy doing that as well, in fact I mainly carry a striker fire gun. I was more or less commenting about statistics with safety. Statistically there will be less NDs with a DAO gun everytime.

2 Likes

The Glocks 27 (.40) and the 32 (.357 Sig) Gen 4. You get a bigger bang for the dollar and MORE POWER.
Very easy for EDC and the holster are plentiful. Cleaning is easy, 34 parts, and dependable too. The
27 and 32 has the ability to have mag upgrades.

William Smith