Warning - Do Not do this on here or the Internet

I do not own guns… I lost them off my boat while bass fishing…

7 Likes

I don’t have any any social media accounts. Don’t do it and never have. Yep I have a gmail account so there is that.

3 Likes

Yep. guilty also. Thanks for the reminder, my friend. Good point

2 Likes

I kind of knew that but I am sure new gun owners may not be aware of the potential of showing Serial #

2 Likes

I do post a lot of pictures of the deer & turkey I got over the years :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I have to get out there and get more hunting done, I miss my venison steaks!

2 Likes

Appreciate all’s help in gaining perspectives. It’s tempting to share, as for some of us, including myself, it can also be a hobby for us, which we share with family and close friends at the ranges together, learning.

Somewhat related true anecdote:

At a former employer, we once received a memo about an employee who had recently and suddenly no longer worked for us. In the memo, was his photo. I was sad to learn this, as he had always seemed like a nice person. In the memo, it read that if we see him on the premises, that we report it to our public safety department. I never knew why the top brass would issue such a memo, but you can guess as to why. What I also found interesting was how he was dressed in the photo. He was dressed opposite of the “gray man”. I wondered, of all the photos they could have used, they chose that one. Made me wonder, “Did they not have any other photo to choose from”?

It also reminded me, if one’s employer does not allow firearms in the workplace, if one wants to keep that job, don’t do it, respect it, or find a job elsewhere. It made me wonder, if that employer had found his photo “online”, from electronic social media. Be wise, be safe.

3 Likes

Don’t mind giving me the location!

1 Like

Who owns guns these days :grinning:

2 Likes

I would even go further. Don’t search yourself, serial numbers on the internet. Use lifelock as a guide to remove your info. Wonder how they get info on you? Through the search. Your browser contains a lot of info which is skimmed. If you participate in social media, info is going to leak though, so it is an ongoing process. Why give technology companies who are not friendly any more info than they have already. VPN’s help, and so do services like the Brave Browser and Duckduckgo.com. However it appears that even duckduckgo.com does social engineering to a certain degree by “directing” your searches.

1 Like

Unfortunately, most of us cannot do that… So many boating accidents lately!!

1 Like

I may just go ahead and purchase the boat and the T-Shirt just in case.

1 Like

Truly, man was not meant to venture away from the land. One wonders why ordinary citizens are allowed to possess such naval technology.

2 Likes

Very true. When you post a picture of your guns (especially with serial numbers) you are “registering” them publicly. The other danger in posting serial numbers is that someone can call the police or ATF and claim your firearm has been stolen. If your firearm’s serial number is ever checked, it comes back stolen and you are now in possession of a stolen firearm. Sure, you can likely prove it’s yours, but only after being arrested, booked, and arraigned. The damage will have been done, and you will likely have a heck of a time getting your firearm back from the police evidence lock-up. Just don’t do it.

3 Likes

I would take it a step further. Do not show any of your firearms or weapons of self defense except to your immediate family who should be trained in their use. We are entering dangerous times and giving away information on your immediate defense is not good advice. With the Congress in the mood to dismantle all local LEO’s and institute a national police force, we all need to be mindful about our own home defense. Todd30’s next post on serial Numbers and Big Tech is worth the time to read.

5 Likes

NV passed a bill in January stating that all private party transfers must be done through an FFL and their next bill is to ban 80 percents.
Battle Born state?

3 Likes

All %80, or just non serialized 80’s? Logically, the non serialized makes sense, but we are talking about the government…

2 Likes

Totally disagree, but I understand what you are saying, as in relation to banning something. Ironically, AR-15 80% lowers are not receivers based on the ATF’s own definition of what a receiver is. The ATF has had cases thrown out of court for that exact reason, they did not want a judge making a precedent on that.

Firearm frame or receiver.
That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

2 Likes

No worries, brother. A little conversation is a good thing. My thought behind that was no one buys an 80 to have a paperweight. Logically from a “gun control” perspective, I can see why they wouldn’t want firearms with no serial number hanging out all over the place. It’s kind of hard to trace a gun that’s not really traceable. The reason I was inferring, is because I know poly80 makes serialized 80 frames, so maybe that’s what they were wanting to push towards.

1 Like

The ATF does not use tracing for anything, but to see who the original owner was, where it was used in a crime, and for the “time to crime” of the firearm. On the ATF site it never mentions returning firearms to their rightful owners. Prior to the 1968 GCA, serial numbers were not even required on firearms, though many large manufacturers had already begun that practice for inventory control, etc.

2 Likes