Using Both Hands with Both Eyes Shooting

How many of you practice on Pistol shooting with?

1. Right Hand with Right Eye
  2. Right Hand with Left Eye
  3. Left Hand with Left Eye
  4. Left Hand with Right Eye

A lot of fun guys.

3 Likes

Well I may be a bit of an anomaly but when shooting a hand gun I need to use my right hand and arm, I don’t close my eyes, it’s how I learned in the US Army. I served from 1969-1986. My left hand is messed up from Vietnam, I’m missing my index finger and I can’t hold a handgun with my left hand, I have my thumb, second, third, & fourth fingers.

3 Likes

I was trained dominate in the 80’s. Today I wear one contact in my left eye for reading which doesn’t work for both eye shooting.

Yesterday during quals I wore a reading contact of a lessor power and was able to shoot both eyes open, though my distance vision was blurry. I’m going to talk to my eye doctor about this.

3 Likes

Thank you for your service @Robert8.

3 Likes

I’m having the same issue here. Trying to adjust with one eye with reading lens.

2 Likes

I only practice with both eyes open strong hand with both hands gripping, or with a flashlight

Weak hand is using weak hand only again both eyes open.

When at the range I usually go thru 2 or 3 mags to warm up and focus on fundamentals after that it’s more real world and worse case scenarios. Working thru situations slowly sometimes not even firing just drawing and seeing where the muzzle travels to avoid shooting myself or an obstacle.

3 Likes

I shoot both weak and strong hand right eye. My vision is changing, and has changed a LOT since I started shooting. I used to shoot both eyes open, now because i’m toggling between right- and left-eye dominant, I close the left. I haven’t tried closing the right, I’ll add that to my list.

The current problem is I see centered-front-sight no-front-sight centered-front-sight no-front-sight as my brain switches left-eye right-eye trying to get focus… and that swap is maybe 3-4 times a second. VERY annoying.

On my Canik with the red dot, I find I don’t eye-swap because the housing of the optics blocks my left-eye sight picture… so my brain stays with the right eye. Even when the red-dot is turned off.

Maybe I need ghost rings on my pistol.

2 Likes

Here’s why I keep practicing on both hand and Eyes, back in mid 80s during the long Iraq-Iran war, I injured my Right Hand and my Right Eye, behind the enemy line. I had no help, no support other than my 9 greatest fighters, Faith in God and my good training (which saved my life). I had no choice other using my left hand and eye for 5 days, it was hard, difficult and a great lesson.
Thank God we all made it back with pride and Mission Accomplished.
Since then, I learned a valuable lesson;
“Weaponize every part my body”

5 Likes

Amazing story @Jesse, thank you for being one of Those Guys.
I wondered if it was personal experience that was behind your training method.
That reasoning is why I train weak hand… that and left handed students. Hadn’t extended the thinking to eyes though. Lesson to me for not having done so.
Fixing that later today at the range.

2 Likes

During quals Friday I put a lower strength contact in my right eye, was able to shoot both eyes open.

Normally wear a 2.75 in left only, put a 2.00 in the right.

I have a set of SSP Eyewear coming in the top focal style at 2.0. I believe as USCCA members we get 10% off.

3 Likes

@BrophE let is know how you like them

1 Like

Jesse,
Maybe you should see your eye doctor. I’m not trying to guess what is going on with your eye health but maybe/possibly you could have a little cataract you’re unaware of Sir ?
It’s worth it to find out.

3 Likes

I will @Zee a friend has them an swears by them.

2 Likes

I have the SSP Eyewear already, in fact I was using them today. They work fine.

I covered the upper left lens magnification section with a little tape to make it easier to adjust and adapt. After a few rounds I removed the tape and start shooting with both eyes open.

2 Likes

Did you get the full set @Jesse - I’ll have top focals and non magnified lenses for both eyes. My plan is to use the magnifier on my right lense, dominant eye, and no magnifier on the left.

3 Likes

Actually I know what’s the problem, unfortunately it is not repairable. Although my sight is still 20/20, but during one of the deployments long time ago, I was exposed to something that I shouldn’t (I was told by special doctors), which shortly after that created a couple blind spots on my lower right corner of my right eye and the upper right corner on my left eye. It only effect me on reading Nothing else.
However, my vision is still great, I still work and teach in college at night, but using reading glasses 1.5 only.
I guess getting old Sucks :joy:

2 Likes

I did have the full set, the 3 sets are different color lenses but all have 1.5 magnification.
I will load a picture soon.

2 Likes

I never thought of eye injury. I will add an eye patch to my training tools and continue to look for weak areas.

I’m sorry you went thru that but thank you for bringing that scenario to the table. It could save lives.

3 Likes

Here they are @BrophE

20190602_194426

2 Likes

Thank you @Sheepdog556 and don’t worry I am still solid like the Rock and ready to go for my best U🇺🇲S🇺🇲A🇺🇲

3 Likes