Watch "EYE DOMINANCE | How to Diagnose & Fix" on YouTube

Really interesting video. I followed the advice and was able to get clean sight picture without closing eye. :eyes::tada::us_outlying_islands:

3 Likes

He is a Magician…
He can count fingers behind his head :astonished:
:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Had a hemorrhage in my dominate eye resulting in distorted vision. Trained my other eye and decided to start shooting with both hands. Now I can do the tap, tap, cap exercise with both hands. Just slightly slower with off hand.

Thanks for sharing. I just watched this. I’m right handed, and left eye dominant. But more than that, my right eye vision is very bad…I have astigmatism. It’s so bad that I cannot shoot a rifle right handed; right eye. So I decided to shoot pistol and rifle left handed. In this video, John recommends not doing that buy I don’t believe that I have a choice.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums @Stephen_M_Bassett, sorry to hear about your eye issues.

John is a great trainer. But there are physical limitations that can make the greatest trainers trainer not work for you.

I am just frustrated right now. I put about 2,000 rounds down range Valentine’s weekend. About 1500 drawing from conceal and point shooting, and 500 working on trying to work on shooting with both eyes open. Point and shoot from draw with my favorite instructor. I was killing it but I just could not make that red dot work for me.

The FN FNX Tactical that has the red dot is by far the most accurate and best shooting .45 I have. I just need to keep putting bullets down range, til it gets more natural.

1 Like

I have exactly the Eye Dominance issue addressed here. My eyes have always been exactly the same (both near sighted, but the same). Therefore, apparently, my brain doesn’t do any sort of dominance vision. I was beginning to think that all the “Focus on Front Sight” advice was a conspiracy, but decided it was too prevalent, and I was just a special case. I just worked more keeping both eyes open, and being as accurate with “un-sighted” shooting and “good enough” vision to take out a life-endangering threat. (its not as bad as it sounds. I have good tight groupings despite this problem).

Turns out that all I would have had to do is turn my head slightly. I think this is because looking out of the center of my glasses focal point, my brain auto-compensates to the best vision, and voila. I don’t even have to do more than a 1/8th or 1/4 turn, and perhaps I finally see what everyone else has been talking about for years.

I would love to thank John Lovell, but he is now exceptionally popular, and seems to be working hard at work-life balance, God bless him. So the best I can do is recommend this video, and if you ever see this, John, Thanks!

Training with firearms is definitely not a one size fits all thing. Cross eye dominance, physical limitations, gear and even personal body builds can change how we train.

The only things that I would consider one size fits all are the safety rules. You have to abide by those. Everything else you should figure out what works well for you.

If you need additional assistance definitely work with a trainer. You can find a USCCA instructor in your area here: https://training.usconcealedcarry.com/instructor-search

1 Like

Good point, Dawn,
Just so you know, I’ve had several instructors, including USCCA approved ones, but I think it is not an easy job to get inside of someone’s brain to see how they are perceiving things. I’ve looked carefully at USCCA resources, whenever they appear, especially Kevin Michelowski’s, since he deals with cross-dominance, which has given many clues.
I still think I do it slightly differently. Keeping both eyes open, I inevitably will get either two targets or two sets of pistols with front sights. I do best by having my target clearly in view, so as to actually pick the correct target (that’s a good thing). I still have two pistols in view, but in less focus. One of them will have the sight picture (the one lined up with my eye), and the other is not aligned at all, and can be ignored.
I think turning my head slightly makes this work a bit better, by making the two apparent guns separate more.
Anyway, the important thing is… am I accurate in a timely manner.

Shooting with both eyes open is definitely something all of us should practice. Yes, it takes time. I’ve used the trick learned from my Instructor -> “cannot find focus? Squint your non dominant eye for a second to find the focus and go back to both eyes”. This works !
I’ve watched “Warrior Poet Society - Eye Dominance” video and turning the head a little doesn’t help me. However I’ve found that turning and moving up your head (so the other eye doesn’t see the target hidden behind nasal tip) works !
Now I can easily shoot from both hands either both eyes or right or left one - really doesn’t matter :muscle:

2 Likes

There’s definitely a place for both eyes open, but I think it’s important to be able to shoot with one eye closed as well for accuracy.

I would highly suggest taking the USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals course. That can help you with one eye/both eyes and accuracy. You all know I’m not here to sell you a class, I have personal experience with the DSF class and it really helped me. I cannot say enough good things about it.

:wink: :sweat_smile: :joy: why not? If not a class, at least this book :slightly_smiling_face:
dsfuscca
I’d recommend it to every USCCA member :ok_hand:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: I don’t want this to be a high pressure sales venue. It’s a place to share what works for you and help others learn. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve adapted well, so not really an issue for me. I’m used to it now. I shoot left handed, both eyes open.:eyes:

1 Like