Using an add-on light vs. laser

Just wondering what the general opinions are as to the pros/cons of using an attached light vs. a laser on a handgun. Thanks in advance to all who respond.

1 Like

I myself am a big fan. I have a Streamlight TLR 8 on my full size pistol. I have it set to white light with a laser dot in the middle of the light cone. I can illuminate the target and use the laser to engage.

If you don’t want to point the weapon at an unknown target, you can splash the light off the floor or to the side from a low-ready position.

I don’t have a light or laser on my EDC gun. I may very well add one as time goes by.

You will get many opinions about this subject. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Light on home weapon laser on 3 season ccw

2 Likes

Lights help you ID your target but give your position away, if that matters. Lasers help you hit your target. Two different tools addressing two different problems.

4 Likes

I have a TLR-7 on my glock 19 and absolutely love it. Never been a big fan of lasers, thats strictly a personal preference not a tactical one. If you can only chose one I say flashlight because you can’t hit what you can’t see. However there are combo options out there.

2 Likes

Both are personal preferences… I’m a practical man and found that both add-on don’t work as I’d like them to.

Laser - nice feature, very handy… but useless in stressful situation. I had a pleasure to shoot in fictive life or death scenarios and none of attendees was able to use any handguns add-ons… If someone tried to turn the laser on… it was already too late or laser was flashing everywhere but not on the threat :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Firearm Mounted Light - also handy, but this one has one big issue…it brakes safety rule - “never point the muzzle”… you know the rest… I cannot imagine myself sweeping my house with mounted flashlight and finding my wife or kids in front of me…and the muzzle :grimacing:

7 Likes

I have a TLR6 which is a light and laser combo on my M&P 9 Shield and it works fine for me. I also have an Inforce light on my M&P 9 compact which I like for home defense.

2 Likes

This is a very real concern. There are ways to avoid it, as mentioned above bouncing the light off the ground. Just like our peripheral vision we don’t have to shine the light directly where we are looking. It does require training which low light training is harder to find

3 Likes

I’ve got a streamlight on my bedside glock .40.
I’ve got a laser on a 1911 as well (crimson trace)–just because I didn’t want to add suppressor height sights when running with a can. I am not a fan of how thick the grips get.
IDK that the laser or a weapon mounted light are practical for me for EDC (I regularly carry the 1911, but without the laser turned on). My wife’s EDC is a Sig 938 with a laser. The good thing is she doesn’t need it. She is very accurate without it, but I think she likes the intimidation factor.
Any low light training I’ve done has been with a off hand light.
My advice would be if you’re going to incorporate either into an EDC rig-train, train, train with it. And then train some more.

7 Likes

I have light and laser on my home defense firearms.

I’ve been slowly bringing my wife around to at least being comfortable using them. The laser is more for her so she had a good visual reference while she is learning to quickly acquire the target with normal sights.

4 Likes

This is my home defense gun with a very powerful light with the strobe effect.

4 Likes

I’m just waiting for the day when my light is a sabre and my pistol is a laser.

1 Like

What holster do you use with that setup?

1 Like

Olight’s “Baldr” with red, and green lasers. Good bright light, C123 batteries, and you can select lamp, laser, or both easily. Mounts on a rail effortlessly. They’ve just come up with infrared laser pointers too so, ready to fit your need as you choose. By the by, having a bright light on my pistol doesn’t mean I won’t be using an off hand torch as well or instead. It all depends on the situation.

1 Like

IMHO the laser is a training aid to learn how to point and shoot

2 Likes

I have a Crimson Trace laser and a Streamlight TRL1-HL I use on my Sig Sauer p320 XFull 9mm. That handgun is primarily for home defense. As a result I decided the Streamlight is my ‘default’ light I keep attached at all times at home b/c I would expect to need a way to see a well-lit target if I’m using the weapon for home defense (esp. in the dark).
I got a Dara Light-Bearing IWB holster SKU-398 that accommodates the weapon with either the Streamlight or the CT attached. This holster works quite well for me.

1 Like

I have a Kydex FDE color holster which I ordered from EBay. I don’t know the make or brand but it’s IWB and it’s comfortable.

2 Likes

I never use a weapon mounted light or laser
For one thing it conflicts with the first rule, Never point a loaded firearm at a target without first knowing what it is and what’s behind it…
I will always use a hand held and practice doing it that way…
just my .02

3 Likes

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for all the great responses and varying opinions. I now know where to look for a light attachment on Streamlight.

1 Like