Untraceable Ghost Guns

Interesting to note that Kalifornia now has a background check to buy ammo. Typical anti-2nd reaction, they are using the shooting to get more gun control rather than admit their latest law failed.

2 Likes

I was listening to Tom Gresham’s show and there was someone talking about a LEO in some town needing to purchase some ammo for a training exercise his department was having and because of the new laws the officer was not able to purchase the ammo to serve out their duties, despite his Sgt, Training officer and some other LEO leader at the department calling down to the shop.

It was comical and sad at the same time.

Story starts at 39:20 …….

3 Likes

I just thought about this. In the OP, they say a ‘ghost gun’ was used in a crime. But, they have the gun. So what is the problem?

2 Likes

It is just misdirection. The real issue is that inexplicable act of mass violence happened. It was not revenge, crime of passion, psychotic breakdown, terrorism, etc. Very concerning.

2 Likes

I know this is old, and I addressed this issue with you on another thread, but, like I am now, if someone is reading this later in time, I feel the correct information on “home-made” firearms should be included here.

One is legally able to sell firearms that are “home-made”. It is not legal to be unlicensed and be in the business of manufacturing and selling firearms. Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Further, on that link it states “In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.” That would mean that one is also legally “allowed” to manufacture NFA items, but not machine guns, will need a tax stamp (prior federal approval) to do so legally. Also, I have not found anything on the ATF site about the requirement to put a serial number on a home-made firearm before it is sold. How can I make and register an NFA firearm? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

This information on what is required/suggested when transferring a firearm in a private transaction: https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download It does not mention that a serial number must be on the firearm. I could find no citation requiring firearms previously manufactured for personal use requiring a serial number when transferred.

This site states that a serial number is not required when transferring your home-made firearm, but I could not find a valid link to the ATF where it is specifically stated, except when discussing licensed manufacturers: Are Firearms without Serial Numbers Illegal? - Pennsylvania Law Abiding Gun Owner Blog

One other irony of our arms laws I just found while researching information on the ATF site, a Q&A fact: " Are muzzleloading cannons considered destructive devices?
Generally, no. Muzzleloading cannons manufactured in or before 1898 (and replicas thereof) that are not capable of firing fixed ammunition are considered antiques and not subject to the provisions of either the Gun Control Act (GCA) Gun Control Act | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or National Firearms Act (NFA) National Firearms Act | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. [26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11] Last Reviewed April 20, 2020"
Are muzzleloading cannons considered destructive devices? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

So, an old operational cannon, that I would believe no one would claim to not be capable of horrific destruction, is not defined by the ATF as a destructive device, but a breach-loading cannon, regardless of size (apparently), is a destructive device. One has to love government logic.

6 Likes

Hopefully you won’t find too many more of my unintentional errors but I applaud you for making sure the content is correct.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I have just been reading this site a lot lately since I have had more time on my hands due to this virus BS. I wasn’t trying to find any errors. :innocent: I don’t want you think I am trolling you. (I am, though, feel my eyes on your back? :stuck_out_tongue:) No, and I am sure I have made errors in fact in posts, too.

A number of people I know have built firearms, both handguns and rifles, from 80% lowers. Each had a slightly different take on home-made firearms, whether or not they could be sold, needed an identifying mark when sold, aka serial numbers, etc., that made me decide to research it to find the truth. That led me to the ATF site, where I got the information.

There is a lot that people “know” that is just 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand, that they don’t really know, just part fact, part fantasy. My quest is to find the truth as best as I am able to discern it. Also, it is another piece of knowledge to use to counter the anti-rights disinformation and lies. The more I learn about firearms, and the related laws and regulations, the more I understand and appreciate the 2A and its strong wording of “shall not be infringed.” With all the pruning of our RKBA, our Liberty tree is standing about 5" tall. The last real one died in 1999.

2 Likes