Unorthodox pistol training for practical results

Do you train at the range shooting through holes,around flat or round corners,do you practice as if your shooting while under fire?Through openings,around corners,do you practice with baps drills,split timers,SLO motion to regular motion drills, holsters in multiple positions . Let us know what you do? You have a taste of what we do. Do you chamber hollow points for saftey or plus rounds,perhaps solid rounds assuming you have to shoot through walls,maybe one mag alternating rounds. Let us know your thoughts.

2 Likes

Welcome again Doc! I do not, and have never trained, yet!!! I want to learn all of this! You have me very interested, and excited to start learning! I have been doing a lot of reading, and most recently, listening to audio books regarding self defense and 2A history. I will check to see if the Basic Pistol Course I am taking involves aggressive drills or not. Thanks again Doc!!! And welcome, you will love this great Community, I know I do!!!

2 Likes

@Dr_Richard, welcome to the community!
My husband was a serious IDPA and IPSC competitor before he lost most of the sight in his strong eye. So yes, he trained a LOT of all of that… and while I don’t compete often, it is some of what we practice and a lot of what we discuss.
Shooting through walls… no. As a defensive shooter, I know every bullet, and where it stops, belongs to me and I don’t know what’s on the other side of walls. If I were being fired on through a wall or door, I have concealment and finding cover is going to be my priority. One can’t know every possibility in advance, of course, and a circumstance could dictate a different choice in the moment, but shooting what I cant see through a wall is not one I train for.

@Richard when you’ve got a course or two under your belt, you should seek out an IDPA or IPSC league, you’ll enjoy it and you’ll learn a ton !

2 Likes