Unbelievable IHOP breakfast

I have never had such bad service in all my life. Wanted to take mom out for. Nice breakfast and we both liked IHOP. We walk into the restaurant and it goes down hill from there. Nobody was at the greeter’s desk, took a few minutes before someone came out, was seated and received our drinks okay and ordered. It took 25-30 minutes for our food to come and there were only five other tables with ppl.

The food came out so cold the pancakes wouldn’t melt the butter nor would the cheese on the omelette melt. When asked how it was we said we were disappointed. The waitress mouth dropped to the floor and she ran back to get somebody.

The person that came out had a chip onher shoulder and said what’s wrong with the food. Mom told her it was cold and I said I was expecting better after such a long wait. The person that came out took offense to that and started blaming the other cooks saying I was only out for a few minutes and it takes 20 minutes to cook omelettes. I said I was a cook and a cook worth anything can cook more than one order at a time. Her reply was: I bet when you started you couldn’t do it.

I said ma’am I don’t mean to insult you pls don’t take it that way and by answering like that you’re insulting me. I know how to cook and can cook more than one order at a time. She just kept insulting us and I said fine, turned in my seat along with my mom to leave. She said I’ll take care of the tab. I have never been so rudely treated like this at a restaurant They were pushing precooked cold food on us and expecting us to say nothing.

I have since emailed IHOP corp and left a bad review online. If you ever go through Richmond KY on I75, go across the street to Golden Coral.

7 Likes

Smartest engineer I ever worked with said something I’ll never forget. “You’re a slave to your vendor.” What they make is what you get.
These days, the production of sub par everything seems to be prevalent.

7 Likes

I have had people complain on Facebook but did not say anything to us while they were there, I am a chef and I make no excuses If they do not like the food, I just fix it! It has nothing to do with me being able to cook, it all has to do with them enjoying their food and their experience. You can ask my servers; food gets done and it needs to go now! or I make a lot of noise!

5 Likes

That’s a terrible experience, I think we need to get used to this type of human interaction. Today’s work force exhibits no talent and no skills.
I’m just praying my doctors and nurses don’t have the same attitudes when I need them!

Service, all types of services have been dumbed down.
Expect this to get worse, I’m surprised that you’re surprised!
Everywhere I go today I practice extreme patience. I’m particularly careful when it comes to food service. You have no idea how many times it was dropped on the floor!
Can’t lose the temper! Gotta be polite, be professional and have a plan!

4 Likes

I live not to far from that IHOP. Wish I could disagree with you and point out what a great place it is. I can’t…

3 Likes

A traveling salesman was in New Orleans from California. He wanted to get back home as fast as possible and as he was driving through Texas, he kept seeing the Steakhouses and BBQ joints. His hunger grew as he traveled until he finally gave in. He walked into the steakhouse and said," I am so hungry I could eat a horse!" The waitress greeting him asked him, “How would you like that cooked?”
Now that is what I call customer service!

5 Likes

Hahaha, when I lived in Everett WA, everyone had college degrees. I saw ads in the paper saying a bachelors degree required to be a cashier.

Go figure.

3 Likes

Pull up a comfortable chair and let me tell you my long saga of the heart scan no one wanted to schedule…

5 Likes

I can understand that. I was the only way they could be sure that the applicant could do 3rd grade arithmetic (AKA math).

7 Likes

I try to never go out to eat anymore and I advise people I know to just stop and do it for themselves. I went out to eat once in the last year and that was when I was deer hunting with a friend and he wanted to eat at a local cafe; service was good small town service, but the food was just average. I can make better food and if I’m doing it for someone else, it’s more appreciated to make it good and make it yourself than to rely on some stranger who let that long strand of hair or maybe that bead of sweat drip down in your food. You never know what you’re eating when you go out to eat. People say it’s cheaper to go out…no way. People say it’s more convenient…you won’t convince me. Eat at home and if you can’t cook, learn how and surprise people.

5 Likes

This :point_up:t4: I even managed to surprise myself!

3 Likes

We usually do but I wanted to give mom a break and treat her to something nice. Boy-oh it didn’t go anywhere close to it.

3 Likes

Quite a few years ago, traveled to Milwaukee for a wedding. Woke up early in a hotel and decided to stop for breakfast on the way to the ceremony. Wife and I slid into a booth at the Bob’s Big Boy down town. Waitress stopped by with place mats and tools and asked if we wanted coffee. Twenty minutes later another waitress stopped by and asked if our order had been taken. We said yes, she asked by who, we said tall redhead, she said Oh! Then she said I’ll get it for you, she quit!

8 Likes

Was it something you said? :laughing:

7 Likes

We stopped going to IHOP at least 10-15 years ago. The food was always late, cold and over priced.
In the last 5 years this started happening to cracker barrel as well. We stopped going there as well.

The best breakfast place, where we have experienced all over the US, is Waffle House. We have never had a even a “one off” at WH. You SEE the cook making your food, we sit at the counter most of the time, it’s fun to watch. Hot, tasty, fast, cheap. Sometimes they aren’t in the best parts of town but we don’t care.

We had our first 1 off so to speak at a Texas Roadhouse last week. Please God, don’t let TRH go down the tubes. Their steaks are/were always pretty good.

3 Likes

Except that Waffle House has a no guns policy. Check the page
WAFFLE HOUSE GUN SAFETY SCORE Grade: C
And note that site is ANTI-gun , and wants businesses to actively oppose gun rights.

Sorry, but I will never set foot in a Texas Roadhouse. I was living in Fairfax County, Virginia, in 2006 when the local TR tried to use a suicide-by-cop attack on a nearby police station, as also reported in the Washington Times, as a reason to get out of fines they already owed plus be paid additional money for bogus “losses of revenue.” The https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/texas-roadhouse/Snopes article on Texas Roadhouse gives a pretty accurate summary. Check it out. Not only did the local manager screw up, but the tR headquarters compounded the ugliness, only acquiescing to public pressure months later.

Side note: ever since the Mickelson’s divorce and Facebook hiring Snopes as a “fact-checker” that site has become a most unreliable source of information. However, that old article linked above is accurate and the first citable reference I found on the search today.

3 Likes

WH does not have the 30.06 or 30.07 Texas PC law signs up. But based on the article you sent, it seems they lean left on this.

A 5 minute-ish read of their website had no references to firearms. So, they maybe passive anti-2 but they don’t advertise it as policy that I could find. Regardless, when we travel, that is virtually the only place to eat, other than we go out of our way to eat at chick fil a.

3 Likes

The linked Graded C page notes that corporate owned WH are no-guns, while franchises have the option. Glad to learn that the ones in Texas are franchises and correctly managed.

3 Likes

I think there’s something very different with the diner style Waffle House, where the cooks are literally preparing the food right in front of you. That’s a pretty rare thing these days, unless you’re at a Japanese steak house. Everyone else has something to hide. :laughing:

Nothing against Waffle House, IHOP, or any of the other restaurants named in this discussion. My experience is that “customer service” has been in decline for a long time, and really took a hit during COVID. At a normal dine-in restaurant, I may have a great experience or a horrible experience, there’s no way to tell which one I’m going to get. Sometimes I’m just the invisible customer who couldn’t get attention if I did naked handstands on the table.

I occasionally even have problems at higher end restaurants. It’s less common because those servers want to keep their jobs and want good tips, but it can happen anywhere.

1 Like

Clearly any restaurant depends on the cook’s experience. I hear now that when one leaves a tip, some restaurants share with the cook as well.

1 Like