ULTRASONIC Gun Cleaners

I’m shopping for a decent cleaner, and so far I’m centering on models from Isonic, Hornady, and Lyman, plus the best cleaning solution available for polymer-safe function. Any ideas out there? Isonic alone offers 10+ models, from personal to professional. I just want to have a small one for cleaning one or two pistols or revolvers at a time, and avoid the usual contortion act. THX

2 Likes

I use an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight for cleaning brass, gun parts and frames (standing on the slide end as the cleaner is limited in size).

I bought an oversized basket for cleaning ~250-300 9mm cases at a time. I also bought a small glass beaker for cleaning small parts. Put the small parts in it, fill it up with the cleaning solution, place it into the cleaner and run it. The waves go through the beaker to clean the little parts. Pictures available on request.

Secret cleaning solution is one half tablespoon of Dawn dish washing detergent or Armorall Wash and Wax car wash, (1) 9mm case full of Lemi shine (you can get it at Wally World) and one half tablespoon Cream of Tartar mixed with 2.5 cups or so of hot water. Enough to fill the cleaner up to the full line. I also started throwing in a couple of tablespoons of concentrated Simple Green. It cleans brass great and everything else.

Turning on the cleaner’s heat function is not required if using hot water as the ultrasonic waves will heat the water to a point the cleaner will turn off to cool down.

1 Like

I bought a cheap one off Ebay and so far it works just fine (so far). One thing I have found that led to a ton of cost savings–the US frequencies seem to go through plastic just fine. I take the gun parts, put them in a ziploc, add solvent, squeeze out the air and close it up. I fill the tank with hot water (lots cheaper) and drop the bag in. Seems to be working just fine, and saves a lot of solvent. I use simple green for shells and it cleans them really well.

1 Like

Thanks for the secret cleaning soln. formula. I will give it a try!

My wife worked around the jewelry industry for years, they use Ultrasonic cleaner a lot. I guess if it’s good enough for a $10,000.00 ring it’s good enough for my $800.00 EDC. I’ll have to try one.

Have been thinking about this too.

Question for those using the ultrasonic cleaners. Do you just field strip and put parts in or do you have to disassemble more than that? Thanks.

Field-strip - you can get small ss or plastic baskets if you want to go smaller. You should have everything to be cleaned held in a basket, above the bare bottom of the tank for a thorough job. FYI

1 Like

Well, hell. Looks like I should get one. No reason why I shouldn’t. Thanks for all the info. I hate cleaning my guns but always do after firing them & try to do a thorough job. I went to the range yesterday and this morning I’m cleaning two revolvers (big deal) & 4 semiautos. BUMMER! But they will be right & tight when I finish. I’m going to look at my harbor freight app now for an Ultrasonic cleaner, thanks guys!!

1 Like