U.S. Representative Christmas Photo

I’m not against Family photos, but do you think it was a proper for him to post it right now?

I’m just thinking that this way we can make more harm than good for 2A Community.
Look at their trigger discipline. At least 3 of them do this wrong way. :neutral_face:

6 Likes

It’s still a free country. :us:

14 Likes

Yes it is, but that was not the point.
I’m just thinking if demonstrating freedom in certain situations is a smart move.
I’m just thinking aloud. :thinking:

7 Likes

If he declared support for 2A verbally, antigunners would still malign him. He wants to deserve it :slight_smile:

9 Likes

The blind leading the blind — so frigging typical. See it all the time.

Many men think they were born knowing how to drive a car, operate and shoot any firearm, and make love to a woman.

Master Po

2 Likes

I don’t see any of them with finger on trigger, so how is this wrong way?

7 Likes

The finger is OFF the trigger ONLY when if it is not obstructing the clear view through the trigger guard. :wink:

THIS FINGER IS NOT OFF THE TRIGGER:
A 2021-12-05 20-32-33

and the same here:
A 2021-12-05 20-34-26

and here:
A 2021-12-05 20-34-36

and here:
A 2021-12-05 20-34-47

:laughing:

2 Likes

Come on @Jerzees, the finger is OFF the trigger when it is not ON the trigger. You are just being silly :grinning:

Good Night!

12 Likes

Nope… I am very serious about this.
This is one of the most common mistakes made by shooters :neutral_face:
Every class I’m in, as the student or Instructor, includes this topic.
Hopefully USCCA teaches the same way. :thinking:

So one more time:

THIS FINGER IS NOT OFF THE TRIGGER:
A 2021-12-05 20-52-25

2 Likes

@USCCA, @Dawn, please weigh in on the trigger discipline discussion @Jerzees and I are having.

Thank you!

4 Likes

You can use imagination to explain yourself what can happen when your finger is along the trigger, even outside the trigger guard, like on the pictures posted.

When you are startled, scared, you stumble or fall - your first response from the hand is to tighten the muscles. Your finger will slip over the trigger guard and stop on the trigger face. With DA firearm you may be safe, with SA not at all… but in both cases you have just violated 3rd safety rule.

3 Likes

Silly, I agree. But just in the phrasing. I think it is a clever but not entirely clear way to describe a real thing and a real potential problem in gun handling and habits. I don’t go all crazy about a specific method or practice, but @Jerzees has a very serious point to make.

Trigger Finger Positioning, Hand Clenches, and Accidental Discharges

Involuntary Firearms Discharge: Does the finger obey the brain?

5 Likes

“Involuntary Hand Clenches Leading to Accidental Discharge” by Greg Ellifritz.

The best explanation I have ever read. ! Thx for the link. :+1:

4 Likes

Nope. This statement has been repeated many times in the past and will be said again in the near future.

Every legal thing we do as gun owners may be used against us in the court of public opinion.

6 Likes

I had more or less figured this principle out on my own when moving with a chainsaw in the woods. Make a list of all the good things which can follow from revving the saw as you lose your balance.
Come up with any? Me neither.
Take a firm five-finger grasp which does not touch the trigger before moving with any power tool, unless intentionally operating the tool in motion.

Before the era of huge trigger guards for wide-swinging triggers, I felt I could control clench by wrapping the entire first joint of my finger around the front of the guard. After encountering some of the literature on this phenomenon, I have switched to a more secure and universal index position.

4 Likes

Wait, Did I miss Something? I thought this thread was about a political statement, boy, was I wrong…

5 Likes

No, no. Congress at Christmas is obviously about firearm safety, isn’t it?
:innocent:

4 Likes

Actually firearms safety is more important than any political statements.
I’m glad we start talking about the trigger finger, even messing up the topic…
I was curious what is the others’ opinion about that photo… but I really hate politic discussions. :neutral_face:

And to be honest, if you want, I can just change it to “Finger Off the Trigger” and delete non related posts… :joy:

4 Likes

Don’t know anything about the proper time for this, can’t say I care much about that. Truly I only care about is who’s in & who’s not. who’s protecting the 2 nd & who’s trying to remove it.

7 Likes

I think we can settle this by the most knowledgeable people on Gun safety and how the INDEX finger should work. These are the true professionals!

We should stand behind them, every chance we get!

9 Likes