Two questions related to the Home Security And Defense Pt1 and Pt2 courses

Howdy.

1. In the Home Security and Defense Pt 1 and 2 courses, it was mentioned that the master bedroom shouldn’t be a safe room because criminals head to the rooms. But wouldn’t you want it staged as a safe room in case they are dumb and try to come in at night, maybe thinking you are out of town or out on the town?

2. For the safe room, the Pt 2 quiz says that it should be “an interior room without windows.” Now, I get that you are going to a safe room because you think you can’t get out, but if you went to the safe room and heard they were on another floor, wouldn’t it be easier to get out if the safe room had windows?

Thanks for helping me understand. BTW, new to USCCA and love all the courses as a way to learn and to start conversations in the home.

9 Likes

@JohnH1559 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you with us. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

In a perfect world we would all have a dedicated, windowless saferoom.
In our real world we will use the bedroom as our saferoom. I keep several loaded firearms, flashlights, bump in the night bag and game ears at the ready.
My wife has her safe spot in the far corner and is protected by a thick mattress and she mans the phone, I have a tall, heavy, wooden dresser to shoot over that looks straight down the hallway.
All windows are secured and have blackout curtains. Spend a little more on door and window security and you won’t have to worry about being trapped in your bedroom. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, yes it would, just practice trying to get out.

8 Likes

Hello and welcome @JohnH1559
I full-time RV now, no safe room, camera outside, .45 in my theater seating rest, 9 sitting next to me with light.

9 Likes

A safe room should have protection for you and your family. It should have a metal door with bolt locks on it and the wall should be more protected than just sheet rock. If you want a truly secure safe room, it should be impenetrable and zombie proof! The room should have self-defense weapons and ammo.

Now that I have said that I call it my war room. A hidden room with a hidden closet with a hidden gun safe. This is where I store my guns. The room has a hidden door behind a double bookcase.

A safe room should be defendable, hard to access for tresspassers.

8 Likes

@JohnH1559 Welcome to the community!

3 Likes
  1. I agree bedroom should be, as much as you reasonably can, prepped to be the room you hole up in

2. Personally I’m not much on the ‘leave your home during an invasion’ th ing. I’d think, oh, so you hear ‘they’ are on another floor, you go to walk out…oops they had an associate waiting outside…and now he is behind you and close and you don’t know it. Or, police response was fast, and now there is confusion on who is who outside in the dark and you have a gun

9 Likes

Welcome

5 Likes

Our bedroom has a window but there is no way we or anyone else can get out of it. Furthermore a good study chest will probably not stop a bullet unless it is full of sand or has a thick layer of steel inside it.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome @Ricky65

2 Likes

@Ricky65 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you with us. :slightly_smiling_face:

You have to go pee pee with the wee wee you got. :thinking:

3 Likes

The dresser was made when they actually used wood, it’s 54" tall and 36" wide across the front and18" deep, anyone shooting at me would be shooting through 36" of clothing.

7 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @JohnH1559 and you are in the right place at the right time. My master bedroom is my safe room at night. It locks from the inside and you would have to kick the door in. In During the daylight hours I will be hanging out downstairs with my pistol in my man cave. We have not had a break in in our community in years, but it doesn’t mean it can’t happen. My head is always on a swivel and expecting the unexpected. Yes my master bedroom does have windows but it is on the upstairs level. I carry my Pistol with me in my home on a chest rig and always have my cell phone within reach. If need be my pistol will get me upstairs to my safe room. By that time I will have my M&P 15 556 cal. ready to defend. It is important to plan and discuss these types of scenarios with your family and loved ones,

This is not true in every case. Once they break into the home they can do anything they want. They may start searching downstairs if they think no one is home.

7 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Ricky65 and we are glad you are with us.

3 Likes

@Ricky65 Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Welcome

5 Likes

“Safe room” by default should be the place you can survive any criminal attacks at your home.
Single point on entry with locked and enforced door.
However, without proper preparation and adjustments it is almost impossible to do.

Usually for the safe room we use the room which gives us tactical advantage. In my case it would be basement. Single point of entry, and solid concrete walls. It still has wooden construction above, but only stupid person would shoot at the ceramic tiles on the ground.
Additionally the entrance to the basement has 5 yards of narrow passage, so it’s perfect spot to eliminate any threat trying to access the area.
Phone, Internet, Alarm and electrical boxes are in my basement, so this area is my “kingdom” and “safe room”.

I don’t know why bedroom couldn’t be considered as a “safe room”. How the intruder knows where’s the bedroom? If you can barricade yourself (and Family) there and you can hold there for 15 minutes - you are ok.
My only concern about bedroom is the wooden floor which can be easily penetrated by 9mm bullet shot from the 1st floor.

5 Likes

My safe room is anyplace NOT in my house…for the thug who broke in that is…for him, there is nowhere safe in my home. In fact it is very deadly.

6 Likes

While I do understand that the dresser is an old sturdy one the question still remains as to what calibre the handgun is. A 45 which is a slower round compared to a 10mm or even a 9mm im not as sure i would bet my life on it.

1 Like

Then don’t… :man_shrugging: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like