TruGlo Night Sight Model Comparisons

I’ve decided I want to change to night sights on my FNP40 firearm. TruGlo seems to be the only option available. My priorities are to maintain daylight sighting equivalent to or better than the factory white 3-Dot sights as well as rear sights that are easily seen in the dark. I have a super bright flashlight to identify potential intruders, temporarily blind intruders, and allow easy sighting without night sights. What I primarily want is to help me locate and unholster the firearm via the glowing rear sights prior to turning on bright flashlight. But, I don’t want to trade off the daytime clarity of the factory sights.

With this in mind, TruGlo has 3 versions of night sights available for my firearm, listed from lowest price to highest:

TRUGLO Tritium Pro:

TFX Tritium and Fiber-Optic Xtreme Handgun Sights:

TRUGLO TFX Pro Tritium and Fiber Optic Xtreme Handgun Sights:

Any feedback or personal experience with these based on my priorities will be greatly appreciated. BTW, there is ~$35 difference top to bottom, so price is not a discriminator.

Thanks!

Edit: The top and bottom models both have “U” shaped rear sights and all I’ve ever shot are “square” rear sights. I don’t know how much difference that will make with sight acquisition.

3 Likes

I’m a HUGE FAN of their TFOs and TFX lines. Just about all my carry guns have them. I’ve probably sold more of them by letting students shoot my guns than most stores in my town. Everyone that uses them loves them. There is no faster sight you can pick up when you extend your arms to shoot!

My 43X is on my nightstand right now wearing a set…

4 Likes

@Gary_H,
I have the ones on the bottom for my Shield Plus and I love them. They are very bright at night and the tritium front is very bright and easy to acquire in the sun light. They make any excellent firearm better.

3 Likes

Sights, unfortunately, depends on our personal preferences.

I’ve been using TFX on my first EDC, which seemed to be OK. To be honest, I have never found any advantages of fiber tubes with daylight - my eyes have always focused on white circle at front sight, without thinking of green dots at rear.

A 2021-08-07 20-47-25

I equipped my current EDC with Trijicon HD, which are the same as Truglo Tritium Pro.
I found these much better for me. Front yellow (in my case) circle is bigger than one in TFX and attracts my eyes faster. Rear sight is formed to be used for one hand racking over the belt, holster, shoe or any hard surface. And U notch is also better than square one.

A 2021-08-07 20-47-42

Anyway… this is my experience… and it may be different than yours. I just found simple Tritium with bright front circle better for me.

5 Likes

I have the top one on my M&P Shield. I agree with the others that the white front sight is a big plus! I like the U notch as well. These are good sights, I’m a fan of Meprolight but there are many good sights out there. See attached of the TruGlo tritium Pro.

4 Likes

These are the ones on my M&P 9 Shield Plus. Green rear and green front with orange.

4 Likes

@Johnnyq60 Those are the ones I put on my Glock, I like them. I use a fiber front and blacked out rear on my other guns (no night sights).

2 Likes

I am a big fan of the orange ring on the front site. It draws the eye right to the sight for me. It dramatically increases my first shot and follow up shot speed.

I am not a big fan of most rear sights with the green tritium in dark conditions. They either appear bigger and brighter than the front sight because they are closer or they are bigger and brighter by design for some unexplainable reason. I put a dimmer amber tritium rear sight on my primary home defense gun. This allows my eye to be drawn most strongly to the front sight without risking confusing it with the back sights. But it gives me three glowing dots to line up when more precision is needed.

I black out the rear green tritium sights with black permanent marker on my pistols that come from the factory with night sites. I can still see them in the dark but it makes them noticeably dimmer than the front. They just need to be touched up occasionally because the marker eventually wears off.

A plain metal rear sight is also a viable option that I have on one of my pistols. It is not as precise in the dark. But I practice drawing and presenting enough that when I am looking at the front sight my rear sight is naturally aligned with it which should be good enough at the likely distances most nighttime encounters are going to take place at.

4 Likes

:+1:

Strongly agree.
I personally do not see need for tritium sights for self defense application. Yes, they may be convenient somehow, but it’s better to use flashlight to identify the target before taking the shot.
Once I use a flashlight, even on other hand, I can clearly see my sights and front yellow dot.

3 Likes

I personally like the front night sight.

Having something bright to draw my eye really helps me. And I can think of some situations where I would be in the dark while the target is in a bright enough area to identify. So I would have a distinct advantage in not needing to give my position away by turning on a light. Though I agree that having a light in dark situations is essential.

3 Likes

Bingo! And I also agree that having a light with your handgun is essential.

3 Likes

I tend to think differently about the night sights. You can always ignore them on your gun, but you can’t add them if for some strange reason you might need them. :grinning:

I am working on adding a flashlight to my concealed carry setup, I don’t think relying on night sights is the best option either.

4 Likes

That’s what I do all the time. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Like @Shamrock mentioned… Tritium may be needed in one situation.

3 Likes

This is my bright flashlight, it has helped me identify predators as deep as 140’ so feel comfortable depending on it above sea level!

Thank all of you for the feedback, I am going back and forth between 2 and 3, but I think either is a good choice.

2 Likes

You are welcome and I like you light! UK makes world class dive lights. I have a couple of them and they rock!!!

3 Likes

Try shooting a black target on a black background with a too-bright flashlight with non-tritium sights sometime. It illustrates the utility of H3 sights and use of flashlights that don’t start fires with their beams…

The Golden Mean applies here.

:face_with_thermometer:
Where I can find such conditions?
Just kidding…
Anyway, I never wrote that Tritium is bad… I just do not use them, even I have them.
So far every scenario I have been going through has not required me to see green tritium dots.
However it’s a good idea to have night sights. Definitely I see advantage of tritium over fiber… in my personal opinion.

3 Likes

I have the TruGlo TFO sights on both my Carry weapons. They allow quick and easy site Acquisition in bright light as well as total darkness. The fiber optic works with light and the tritium works with no light. You can not go wrong with these sites. They work trouble free on my Glock 45, 17, 19.
Just to be clear. The night sites are only 1 tool that is needed when shooting in a dark scenario, you need a flash light as well to see what or who you are shooting,
Without positive ID on target before firing, it could turn out real bad real quick.

2 Likes

I have the “Pro’s” on one of my Carry guns. Vastly superior to the sights Kimber put on the Ultra Carry 2 to begin with. But I still think Trijicon night sights are superior. I’m still not sold on fibre optic, just something that can fail IMHO. All my handguns have Trijicon except my Sigs, I think Sig Sauer night sights are the best. I bought the Pro’s on Amazon for $105.

1 Like

Best Idea I have learned over the years is don’t go anywhere that requires a flashlight at night to begin with. I mean, where would you go that would require a flashlight to begin with. Keep a flashlight in the car for emergencies like tire changes etc. But where else would you need a flashlight that you belong going to?

1 Like