Transporting Firearms Within NC

Every Christmas, I drive 3 1/2 hours to the town where all the rest of my family live. Most of the time, I take most or all of my firearms and go shooting with my dad and brother on their land. I won’t disclose how many firearms I have…but it’s more than a few. I have a concealed handgun permit. (Notice it’s only for handguns in NC, not weapons in general) My actual question is about ammunition segregation. All my handguns go in a range bag, each locked with their cables or built in locks. The rifles go in their individual bags, some may occasionally share a bag. All the firearms are unloaded, and locked in the trunk. Does the ammo have to be in a separate location, such as the back seat, or can it also be in the trunk?

Everything that comes up online is about carrying a handgun without a permit…not about actual transportation. Like I said, I do this every year…I’d kinda like to make sure I do it legally tho. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Here’s the Federal rules

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Is this any different than going to the range? I generally preload everything I’;m going to shoot. It all goes in the same locked trunk, but without any rounds in any chambers and without any single gun locks. This would seem “normal” and “legal.” I usually have my concealed on my hip during the trip and range time.

1 Like

I don’t think it reall is any different than going to the range @Brad. Here in an NC Attorney’s take on the question.
https://ncsportsmenslaw.com/2016/08/gettin-to-the-gun-range/

2 Likes

Interesting read. I can’t imagine leaving a firearm in an open truck bed where it could be taken or lost without the owner/driver noticing. Also, it mentions nothing about ammunition in or out of the chamber of firearm (mag). It is really something that the laws are so unclear.

1 Like

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/nc-gun-laws/

I’m not reading anything about separating ammunition in North Carolina’s laws, so I would default to what @Craig6 posted about the federal rules.

2 Likes

I would believe that if you can put a handgun in the trunk (loaded or not) then there shouldn’t be a problem putting rifle(s) in the trunk.

3 Likes

I always error on the side of caution when going to the range. My carry pistol is on me loaded. All other ammo is in separate bags from any other firearms.

3 Likes

I generally transport with unloaded guns in the locked compartment of the range bag and ammo in a separate unlocked compartment of the range bag or in an ammo box. The only thing I transport loaded is my EDC and spare mags and they’re concealed. I drive a pickup or the dually, so there’s no “other” compartment, it goes on the floor of the passenger seat (locked) or in the back seat (if I have one).

3 Likes

I can attest to this! @Zee comes prepared!

2 Likes

@Dawn :laughing: I do. Maybe I should do a range-kit dump and take pictures :laughing:

4 Likes

YES! You could dedicate a full thread to it! Or do a video!

3 Likes