Training Course Gear

I take at least three training Courses a year Pistols and long gun classes. I see in every class that most folks have tactical belts and are all kitted out. I am one of the few that uses EDC gear, the only thing extra is magazines, and I only have one mag holder. I am evaluating my holster’s effectiveness in training and see if I need to make adjustments. What are the community thoughts on not using your EDC gear in training?

Some Pics of my training today
Course Topics covered:

• Basics review: stance, grip, sight picture and alignment, trigger manipulation and follow through
  • Movement review
  • Introduction to shooting on the move
  • One handed manipulations (non-dominant hand)
  • Introduction to cover and concealment
  • alternative sighting techniques

12 Likes

I go to the range to shoot other stuff for fun, but I try to use my EDC when training to get as much practice as possible with what I have on most often. I attend some IDPA matches and almost always just use what I carry.

7 Likes

My first thought. I wouldn’t want to be there with people drawing and shooting handguns prone!

5 Likes

Normal training, EDC, all the way!
I’m not going to be kitted out when picking up eggs, mail and milk!
For fun, all other gear!
Serious tactical training! “Red Dawn” serious.
This is my just in case home invasion rig. Or another “summer of love”…!

11 Likes

Not to practical to me. Sure practice different stuff but to me, I want to be ready on the street or in my house. If we get to the point we are fighting combat style, we practice a little of this, I’ll get the rest of my gear out. But for my main training regimen, it EDC.

8 Likes

We do not draw our Pistols in that position. We kneel and get down. Because if some threat has a fing long gun, you want to get low and learn how to shift from left to right. For the class, you need to take three other classes before you can be qualified to take the course

6 Likes

I understand the advantage of prone.

My first thought was getting flagged with live ammunition by “the public”

2 Likes

That is why everyone needed to pass the 1st 3 classes and some did not pass. We where close for a few things- but we all had the right mind set and the instructors are excellent–

3 Likes

I do my “EDC” training sessions (at least 1/week) using the gear I’m carrying. I need it for “not to be rusted”. :wink:
Besides those I do “combat” training usually every other month and for this one I’m using more advanced gear like battle belt, OWB 2nd Level retention holster, 3 extra mag carriers.
Maybe “combat” doesn’t sound good, but this training is to practice fundamentals (stance, grip, trigger control) combined with stress and intense effort. This is great to find the limits, which can be applied to regular EDC training.

6 Likes

What are you training for, competition, profession, or self defense?
The folks in tactical gear and duty belts are training for either USPCA/IDPA competition, or they are employed as armed security (LEO or private) and are training for their jobs. (Or, they may just be into tacticool fun and games.)
If your training, like mine, is for self defense as a concealed carrier, then you should continue to train in your EDC gear. If you have multiple holsters or guns that you use for self and home defense, then rotate among them in your training.
One suggestion: get another gun that matches your EDC gun, and use it for training and practice. Shoot your actual EDC gun with EDC defensive ammunition a couple of times a year to keep the cartridges in it up to date. Should the training gun have a problem during class, you can switch to your EDC gun (with FMJ training ammo) to complete the class.

7 Likes

I only train for self-defense and continue to be a responsible firearm owner. These instructors work for homeland security and trains other agencies and both are instructors for Sig Sauer. The training techniques are based on real world experience. In my opinion, one of the best firearm classes. You need to pass a qualifier to move on to the next course. I love to train!

6 Likes

Had a timely stumble into this thread.
My wife and I are taking a two day class this weekend. Yesterday got us holster qualified to be able to take todays class.
Unfortunately, the only allow OWB holster for the class, so we had to make a concession. Will need to adapt what we learned to our IWB holsters.
My Hellcat Pro also has an issue with the redo dot always coming loose, so that was sidelined and I am using my wife’s S&W MP9C 2.0 with iron sights.
Today’s class will be low light and flashlight useage, shooting on the move, shooting from cover.
This is at an indoor range.

There is alot of value in training with what you are carrying if your goal is defensive shooting.

We are enjoying this class which gives us a base to build some home training from. It has been good to be observed by the instructors who have shown me several areas where I have some bad habits to overcome.

4 Likes

What class and instructor or school are you taking? Interesting that it requires OWB.

3 Likes

It is called the Two Day Handgun series at Scottsdale Gun Club.
Both instructors are USCCA certified. I will note down their names today.
Both really good.

What they explained was Scottsdale Gun Club isn’t comfortable teaching drawing IWB yet. They are working on a program for it but it is not done yet.

It is an indoor range. The stalls are separated by bulletproof glass. My lane has a bullet impact on the right side pane :thinking:

4 Likes

It happens

4 Likes

If you are in a street fight, you have a high likelihood of being knocked to the ground, so practicing drawing and shooting from the ground seems sensible to me.

Practicing with your EDC is a good idea, but what makes you think you will use your gun in a fight? It may be useful to train and become familiar with different types of firearms, like the one your assailant may bring.

Training in first aid, like a self-inflicted gunshot wound to your leg, torso, arm or hand in the heat of a violent encounter, might be way more valuable than marksmanship or moving and shooting. Your EDC kit should include first aid supplies.

4 Likes

That will be the delta class. In that class you learn to use a tourniquet .

One of the drills is run to a spot flip a card over and the card says you have been shot in the right arm you apply the tourniquet on your right arm. After you have to engage the threat. The Delta class is all about problem solving skills. I need to retake that Charlie class I did not pass the qualification to take the delta class.
Classes are Alphal, Bravo, Charlie and Delta. Each class you need to pass before advancing to the next class.

5 Likes

Not simply a traditional 1st aid kit (booboo kit) but a trauma kit that includes tourniquet, chest seal, scissors for clothing, and wound packing. For online training until you can get to a live class, check Emergency Trauma Response at Mountain Man Medical, where you can also buy properly stocked kits; and Stop the Bleed, who also offers live classes around the country.

Important: do NOT buy kit components from Amazon or eBay. Both sell a lot of counterfeit
poor quality items in this category. IN addition to Mountain Man Medical, other reliable sources with genuine products Dark Angell and North American Rescue.

7 Likes

I do the same as you. Why train with what will PROBABLY not be at you need? As the gear for shooting is fun, it is generally not available when confronted with agression. Anyway, get out there and have some fun.

4 Likes

I once took a course that was specifically for everyday concealed carry. The instructions in the registration for the course said to be sure to wear what you usually wear every day when you carry concealed. Made sense to me.

Got to the class, about 15 students total, and just me and maybe one or two other guys were dressed in our everyday clothing, which for me is jeans and a cheap polo, shirttail out. But everyone else was dressed in a variety of either combat clothing or super-casual weekend shorts, gun-theme tees, and most were all holstered OWB. Also, the instructor made passive-aggressive insults at those two or three of us who followed the instructions and wore our everyday dress, saying something like, “wearing expensive polos to a gun class.” I kind of laughed as I thought of how I was wearing my usual, everyday cheap $20 polo and the rest were wearing expensive gun-theme tees.

Turned out, too, that most of the course was a waste of time and money, nothing but the same stuff that’s free on YouTube and can be practiced at home.

5 Likes