Training Course Gear

We train in street clothes and try to address “Real Life” scenarios. Like sitting on the inside seat on a train, walking a bicycle, hands full of groceries, little kids running around, getting into/out of an automobile, pretty much urban training. We train outside, inside, cold, hot, sun, snow, rain. The only thing we NEVER DO is train with live firearms. If we do use our actual EDC it’s plugged/Blocked and check by the instructors before each exercise, no mag or ammo allowed even close to the area. Our stuff includes hand to hand, EDC, find a weapon, escape and evade… We never disparage our students, in fact we are damn happy they are interested in showing up and learning.

7 Likes

I was not happy with the kit I carry on my belt so I looked at the organizations you recommended and went with a Dark Angel kit milatary I like that it comes with an ARS decompression needle and yes I have been trained to use it thanks for the info

3 Likes

Nailed it!

Thx

2 Likes

I can’t think of any reason to go tactical kit for an EDC class… that’s NOT the way one is going to go everyday. Practice should reflect life (except that no one is shooting back!).

7 Likes

What I have found with new shooter is that even basic principles, rules and techniques can be overwhelming.
Tactical gear… meaning OWB, sometimes even drop down option helps a lot. Newbies are accepting all shooting fundamentals better when they don’t need to struggle with EDC gear.
Once they feel comfortably with shooting techniques and principles, they can apply those to EDC gear.

3 Likes

When I go to the range to shoot my EDC carry, I equip myself and dress appropriately. When I go to the range just for fun, I might differ greatly from my EDC, but I go to the range with my EDC. That is why it is called EDC. I don’t hang around with the tacticool bunch; they make me nervous.

2 Likes

They drew their weapons the went into the prone , when you got no cover and your target is at distance Go to the prone if not find concealment or any way to not be on the or in the line of fire

1 Like

When I shoot at the range especially with more than one. Gun I made a habit to point the gun down range after last round hold open release the slide lock drop the mag and pull the trigger all while pointing down range then set the gun down

1 Like

Rich, I agree with you and Mike164 and Mikentexas. I would further offer that it is good to practice in attire that you wear every day and what you wear during hours of work, as well as play and leisure, and formal. Depending on one’s allowance to conceal carry, it would only be more advantageous to practice in a suit and tie, or clothing that is more formal and restrictive if in a business environment like say an office environment where people are wearing suits and dresses, high-heels and dress shoes, etc., or in fireman’s gear if the shoe fits, painting the extreme here. Wherever we spend the bulk of our time and the attire that we are wearing or are required to wear is what would be best to practice in. Afterall, it’s called an EDC for a reason which is inclusive of Everyday!

So, we can, for the most part rule out showing up at work clad in desert cami’s and chest kits and other 5:11 gear. That may be cool for the Paintball Range but not Everyday life. The only people benefitted from this is 5:11. I realize we don’t want to mess up our Sunday best, but practice is practice. When conditions are favorable, we would probably all fare well, and we know that a defensive situation does not occur when things or conditions are favorable, otherwise they wouldn’t be defensive situations; and it is not the same as an administrative situation where you have the luxury of “time.”

I realize that in our training environments we want our students to be comfortably clothed and wearing gear that would provide minimal protection. But in our practice environments, and during those regimens, again, I would offer that we practice like we live every day. As indicated earlier, it’s not every day that we dress like we’ve been to the PX or the 5:11 store, and we wear drop leg holsters, chest rigs, IFAK’s, and S-kits. That’s not real at all, and it’s certainly not practical. The emphasis is on being a responsibly armed American “citizen.” Not a soldier, warrior, or militia member. Being able to blend, undetectable, but competent, skilled and proficient with what we carry every day in whatever environment we find ourselves, being able to respond to varying situations perhaps better than others with no training, which would also include mindset and attitude, the employment of prefense: situational and spatial awareness and avoidance, which can sometimes be the best defense.

I don’t view any training course as boring, because I can learn from anything or anyone. And I NEVER shun the BASIC Fundamentals. Last I checked, there are no ADVANCE SKILLSETS. Only MASTERY of the BASICS. The only thing advanced is the conditions under which, and/or the environments that the basics are to be employed; What is advanced about a gun going, BOOM? Does it not require a trigger press? Don’t you still have to manage recoil and mitigate muzzle flip? Wouldn’t a proper grip accomplish this? For every situation, don’t you still have to bring a shooting solution? Yes, but you will find the basics threaded through all of this. The basics is what carries the day, IMHO. So, I thank you for what you’ve stated. And I’ve stated more than I intended, please excuse the length. I’m tuckered out now. geesh, this was long, but I hope it adds in a positive and useful way to what you guys have already stated so eloquently. Oh, one other piece. We look good in our training and practice situations, but please bear in mind that it does not look so pretty, neat and tightly packaged when someone is shooting back at you. We have to rely on the basics, even basic gear.

3 Likes