To be or not to be

I wonder, I do carry conceal, as I go from here to there and taking care of business but, have you ever questioned yourself, Would you have stopped at any one of the places if you were not carrying? Would you want to go through THAT part of town that is known for its PROBLEMS? This action is not a good idea actually. The avoiding situations that can create a bad outcome is a perquisite to self-defense. I have to drive through a part of Seattle that is always in the news for shootings and such to get to the Veterans Hospital and during the day time I feel better about it but I still see some wild things once in a while. Also stopping in at a convenient stores late night. Be safe at any transitional points and watch your six o’clock! Do you avoid places even when you carry?

10 Likes

I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, and I don’t usually have much of a problem going into skeevy places. My wife does, and refuses to unlock the car if anything looks sketchy, whether I’m armed or not. I’ve been blessed in recent years, and I have more choices than I used to have, so I don’t have to enter any establishment or neighborhood that seems high risk. Regardless, though, I try not to look like an easy target. I wonder if that will change as I continue to age.

9 Likes

To the tune of, :notes: it’s a small world after all :notes:

1. No.
  2. No.
  3. Yes.

My world may be getting smaller but it’s definitely safer.

15 Likes

I think old Kevin Michalowski (sp?) summed it up pretty well; Never go anywhere with your firearm that you wouldn’t go without it. Sorry about the spelling, bro’.
Edit. I fixed the spelling, Kevin. LOL!

18 Likes

I work in the trades and my employer has contracts with a few … Well, less maintenance concerned property management companies.
This is why I open carry when on the clock. Same carry position I used while deployed so it’s comfortable, fast, secured, & intuitive for me. While also keeping away the inevitable "can you spare a dollar for (insert excuse) ".
One of the things I can do to avoid a conflict is show that I am prepared for one.

6 Likes

I avoid ANY places or situations that appear sketchy or have a history of theft and violence unless I absolutely must be there or pass through. That IS whole point of conflict avoidance. Your number one goal as a responsibly armed citizen is to never have to use your firearm. Training and situational awareness will get you a looooong way but if a situation arrives that leaves you no choice by to use deadly force, that is the time to pull your gun & do what you have been trained to do. Oh, ya - then call USCCA & shut the f*** up until you talk to your attorney as your USCCA instruction card says.

7 Likes

Yes, but also thanks for your advice. Some places - I have to go to for family, or essentials. But like, our trainers have mentioned - avoid it if you can. Not just for safety and security reasons, but for legal reasons. I try to avoid cities whereby my own peers in court might prejudge me (sadly), because of their own preconceived notions about our caring about CCW defense.

It’s heartbreaking, because I love the cities, and the people in them, but I also care about safety for me and my family.

4 Likes

Carry all the time except where forbidden. If an hostile area I load up differently. I go where I need to go . Trouble can find you anywhere.

6 Likes

Whether or not I’m carrying, I try to avoid bad areas/trouble spots. That said, I can’t always avoid bad areas and sometimes have to go through bad areas without carrying because of my job.

For example, I had a gig in downtown Baltimore. Maryland doesn’t have reciprocity with Virginia and it was at a state government building. I can’t carry and I’m not going to leave my firearm secured in my parked car for it to be stolen. Fortunately, the worst that happened was one of my tires got slashed my last day there. I drove out to 95 on the flat before calling roadside assistance as I didn’t want to try changing the flat in town.

7 Likes

I hear you.

My car got broken into once. Thief broke into my locked door, both of my locked compartments, glove and dash boxes, damaging all three key holes, all needing replacing.

At that time, I had not left my firearm inside my vehicle, and since then have purchased a more sturdy steel box, cabled down, with extra thick cable and locks. I’m saving up for a portable/carry safe box from Vaultek, which someone else had posted:

https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vaultek-view-all-lifepod-series-2/

4 Likes

I always try to avoid places that can be dangerous even when I’m armed. There’s times when you may not have a choice and you may have to travel through bad neighborhoods. Keep in mind that if you go through a bad neighborhood and get involved in a confrontation that you have to use deadly physical force, a prosecutor can always say that you intended to get into a confrontation and deliberately walked through just to shoot someone. Always remember you have to articulate how you tried to avoid the situation. I think about all these scenarios and situations all the time when I’m carrying. Moral of the story is if you can avoid it, avoid it.

10 Likes

I’m confused. Example: I would never go through a dark alley without my sidearm “wouldn’t go without it”. So the “never go anywhere with your firearm” would be a dark alley? Doesn’t make any sense…

2 Likes

If I understand the statement correctly it actually says DON’T go into the dark alley in the first place???

6 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Dan32 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Another way of looking at this is," Don’t go looking for a fight! " Do not put yourself in harms way just because you know you have a gun on you. Avoiding a conflict is one of the requirements to be able to use deadly force without being charged with a crime.

9 Likes

Hey, Dan32, and welcome to the community. The above pretty much explains it. If you need a firearm to go somewhere in particular then maybe you shouldn’t go there in the first place. Again, that is a quote from Kevin Michalowski, Executive Editor of Concealed Carry magazine and LEO in some capacity. I agree with that line of thinking. I carry everywhere I go but if concealed carry is not allowed, I don’t go there. If the place is sketchy (like say a dark alley or bad side of town) then I don’t go there, either. Sure, circumstances may necessitate travel through a sketchy place but that should be the exception rather than the rule,IMO, of course. Do you have every right to be somewhere public without fear of harm to you or your loved ones? Absolutely. Is that the way it is? Absolutely not. There are some places that are just not safe. I think his point was to stay away from places like that whether you have a firearm or not. Again, welcome to the community and glad you are here. :+1:t2:

8 Likes

I live in New Orleans so this topic caught my attention. Personally, when driving through certain parts of the area or down certain streets I place my EDC between my legs in my lap (I have a tinted vehicle). I agree, avoiding certain gas stations or “trouble spots” is a main part of situation awareness.

4 Likes

I have done the same in Seattle. I try to stay away but, it happens.

6 Likes

I understand your problem, with Seattle and the VA hospital. I would like to see the VA Hospital have a gun check in at the gate so we can carry while traveling to and from the hospital. I’m 77 yrs old and never leave home without a weapon, except when going to the VA in Fayetteville.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Jerry175 and you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes