The [New] Golden Rule? (The Importance of Having Situational Awareness )

So I get the USCCA email with a link to an article / guide about “The Importance of Having Situational Awareness…”

In it, Rule number 1 is the: GOLDEN RULE: DON’T GO ANYWHERE WITH YOUR GUN YOU WOULDN’T GO WITHOUT YOUR GUN…

Not sure how I feel about this. My approach is the exact opposite – except for work, I don’t go anywhere WITHOUT my gun that I can’t go with it. This has caused me issues, limited my travels, but all well.

The article goes on to make some great points, but I don’t like this new “Golden Rule.” My Golden Rule is “Don’t go anywhere without your gun.” And the Silver Rule is: “See the Golden Rule.”

Great article, I recommend a read and maybe even give it to your family members to read so they are better prepared!

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I think you are missing the point… if you won’t go to a bad, high crime part of town without your firearm… then don’t go there at all… why would one go looking for trouble???

8 Likes

I get that, but I still don’t like the wording or implication.

And I never go looking for trouble – she’s at home and I always know where to find her.

(But seriously, good point. Thank you.)

3 Likes

I don’t get how it is connected to situational awareness.
I think it was a typo.

The other rules in the “guide” get more into the situational awareness aspect, it was mainly the first rule I took exception with. Here are the other rules:
2. Ditch the tech (stay off the phone)
3. Stay alert (notice who notices you)
4. Park in well-lit areas (predators seek darkness)
5. Avoid dangerous areas (don’t take shortcuts)
6. Use what you have (pay attention)
7. Ditch the verbal challenge? {This one is a little more controversial than above, but makes some good points.}

3 Likes

If one is being situationally aware they will not go to a place that looks dangerous just because they have a gun. Basically what @Elza1 posted.

4 Likes

Interesting USCCA email today.
I deliberately make my world smaller but safer by avoiding places where trouble might find me.

4 Likes

My guess is USCCA is prompting us to think about who or what is worth risking our life for.

3 Likes

I understand where you are coming from but do think this is an important rule. If people choose to go to sketchier than normal places because their firearm makes them feel more secure then they are likely putting themselves in more danger than they would be in if they weren’t carrying.

11 Likes

So, if you see a group of gang members at a gas station and you are going to stop and try to get gas because you have a gun? or would you just go to another gas station? I used to work on the Seattle waterfront, and I get off of work late at night and catch the rail out of town but, I have to walk through town to get to the station. There are places that you just know better than going because it just isn’t safe. I avoid those places even though I still had to walk through Seattle. I do carry and do avoid areas that are just too sketchy to take a chance to wonder through. These places are like only two or three blocks away, but it is enough. Use your judgement for places to avoid because you know yourself where the trouble usually hangs out.

8 Likes

I agree, and would not do this.

3 Likes

My family is my first priority. My safety included. Never outrun what you defend.

2 Likes

“Know when to walk away, and know when to run.”
-The Rogers Rule

3 Likes

Actually Todd30 I have had that very same situation with less than 1 gallon of gas in my car about four years ago. The empty gas station was 30 cents more per gallon. The extra $4.50 was well worth the cost. he cheaper gas station had many people outside that had sketchy looking vehicles and even sketchier looking people milling about and was very crowded. One minor fender bender and the situation could have gotten bad really quick.

2 Likes