To ALL the USCCA training developers and Instructors, Thank you for all the training

I want to thank all the developers of the training instruction. Video and written. I’ve been a member since 2017, I have never been more grateful for the USCCA training then I was Saturday morning. I went to my local grocery store to get some fresh baked goods for to surprise the Family. I’m currently awaiting back surgery and have to walk with a cane. I parked in my usual handicap spot, I looked around as I got out. I noticed a high rise 4X4 parked by it’s self, guy sitting with the motor running, not abnormal, but good situational awareness.
As I came out of the store and started toward my car, the 4X4 suddenly drove the wrong way in the parking lot to park backwards in the spot behind me. Sudden condition orange, I realized I could be easily blocked in as there was a concrete post in front of my car. ( Mental note to self, no longer fav parking spot.) Rather than putting my stuff in the back, I put the cart between me and the truck, driver looking at me and on the phone. I opened the back seat door with the door behind me. When the 4X4 had started across the parking lot, I noticed a white sedan had been sitting on the other side of the truck. As I started loading my back seat I saw the white sedan drove the wrong way down the isle and pulled in to the spot next to the cart return.
This effectively blocked my car in, If I tried to return the cart the normal way I would have to walk into a very tight space between the sedan and the cart return. I instantly went to condition red. Of course I was concealed carrying and waring an open front shirt. I casually placed my hand inside my shirt and released the snap on my holster, and finished loading my groceries with my left hand. instead of stepping into the trap, I took the cart the long way around, away from the truck, and behind the sedan. I used my cane in my left hand to steer the cart, never taking my right hand from the ready position. I could see both men were watching me like birds of prey. The guy in the sedan opened his door as I approached the cart return, he looked at me as he started to step out.
He must have seen something that terrified him, because he jumped into the sedan so fast the cart returned closed the drivers door for him. As I looked up the truck was in reverse went over a parking block, swung around and headed for another exit. I have to admit smiled to myself, snapped my holster, grabbed my cane and limped back to my car.
That was when the shakes started, I don’t know how long I waited for the adrenalin dump to pass, put the ice cream was completely melted. The training I’ve received from the USCCA gave me the ability to recognize a threat, how to look for escape options, how to stay in control of a situation even when disabled, and what physical effect to expect after an encounter. Thankfully this situation did not require anything more than the small display that I was armed and ready to defend myself. Seeing my hand on my holstered Security 9 inside my shirt was more than enough for these guys to think twice. Stay aware, stay ready, stay safe.

45 Likes

:+1:

Thx for sharing the story.
I’m glad the situation has finished the proper way.
And I’m assuming it has finished that because you have done everything correctly:

1. situational awareness
  2. ready to defend
  3. showing that you are not an easy target (doesn’t need to brandishing)

Great job :clap:

15 Likes

That was a great story. I could feel the anticipation building up inside of myself as I read it. I’m so glad that you were aware of what was going on around you, even though it did not seem “abnormal” at first. You have lived out a true example of why the training videos are put together. Thank you for sharing the value you are getting out of it.

8 Likes

WOW! I am so glad to hear that you were so aware and got out of the situation safely, @Daniel18!!

Has that grocery store had other issues in the past? It might be worth a phone call to the store manager to alert them to a possible issue.

What has been your favorite piece of USCCA training?

8 Likes

@Daniel18,
Thank God your situational awareness was at a 100 percent. You did the right thing to observe your surroundings before entering the establishment. I always look around before I enter any convenience stores. What you did was show them that you would not be an easy victim. If they had been strapped they may have tried something but I believe they may have thought you were carrying so the left you alone. Thank God you noticed them and was aware of the situation. Good job brother and keep those antennas up, I pray traveling mercies upon you and no weapons formed against you or anyone in the USCCA shall prosper.

10 Likes

I am very glad it ended well @Daniel18 . Have you called 911? Are you aware of the predator calling 911 on you?

5 Likes

Good example of maintaining situational awareness, @Daniel18. Definitely sounds like one of those cases of “something just doesn’t feel right.”

Great story, and great ending. Glad you’re safe.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Daniel18 Sounds like you handled that situation very well!

I had a similar situation at a grocery store except I was working in CA where State laws say I must be unarmed and at the mercy of criminals. I was not as boxed in as you were. It was two tweakers getting out of a beat up old truck a few spots behind my vehicle. I was on the passenger side of my vehicle and had to throw the last of my groceries in the car, close and lock the door and rapidly push the cart back into the store. The look of befuddlement on the tweakers faces as they gestured at each other and got back in their truck was almost worth it. But it took a little bit of time for my adrenaline to dissipate and I was cursing CA and their 2A violating laws under my breath. Not that I would have reacted differently but would have been nice to know I could defend myself if they had tried to stop me from getting to the store.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story. It is good to hear that the training and Instructions worked out for you!

6 Likes

Um, that is a really hard question. I’ve learned so much from all the different the Videos, Concealed Carry Magazine, member PDF books and the other books I’ve purchased. There is over lapping ideas and instruction which reinforces safety, awareness conditions, situational response, and lethal force justification. There is just to much for me to point to one specific piece.

3 Likes

I probably should have called 911 but I was a little overwhelmed with adrenalin at the time.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ve always had a high degree of observation. All my life I’ve had family members say it is freaky how much I see. It was the awareness level training that really heightened my ability to recognize a potentially dangerous situation. I can’t count the times I said “Thank you Lord” while sitting in my car.

I want to say thanks to everyone who has commented. Stay Aware, Stay Ready, Stay Safe.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this!

7 Likes

That reminds me of a situation from 98. I took a friends red Honda to Santa Cruz and parked it near the beach. Walked down to the end of the block, turned around and saw a guy looking at the car. He then headed down towards the end of the block and went to the phone booth to make a call. I knew honda’s were a hot item to steal and since it wasn’t my car, I decided to forget the couple bucks I put in the parking meter, got back in the car and drove off to another parking spot several blocks away. I couldn’t believe the guy didn’t have the sense to make sure we walked away before checking out the car. Not a scary situation, but still situational awareness. I really didn’t want my friends car stolen!

7 Likes

Well done! Thanks for sharing!

7 Likes

As long as you didn’t actually expose your weapon, you probably didn’t “need” to call 911. (but if you did brandish, you should’ve called)

But I suppose calling would have been a good precaution in case the derelicts in one of (or both) the other cars decided to call 911 on you for brandishing a pistol, even if you didn’t.

I live in an area where carrying of ANY kind is effectively banned.
So, THANK YOU for sharing!

6 Likes

I’d say cops might want to know about this operation going on, as well as store security.

3 Likes

Agree, call to 911 or non emergency recorded line to preempt any wilds allegations from the bad guys. Also while fresh in your mind, descriptions of actors and cars, direction of travel, plate numbers if you got them…hard to think about while that pulse rate is up. but try for the ideal and recognize that your cognitive abilities decline when that fear spike hits. Even if the local constabulary doesn’t follow up, should a similar description pop up in another local crime, the cops could follow up with you as well as review store video, etc. Good result. Hope you didn’t have to launder any clothing after the event.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing!! I’m glad everything turned out to be OK and you’re safe!

2 Likes

Everyday I feel there is less of a chance to be a victim thanks to the knowledge and wisdom passed on thru training. I appreciate all you do.

4 Likes