Throwback Thursday: Best Toy Gun

Showing my age here, my Paladin cap gun, holster, and business cards that said, “Have Gun, Will Travel.”

4 Likes

I’m probably a lot older than most of you (86) but, during WWII (Pearl Harbor) occurred on my 7th birthday, somewhere along the way I had a toy rifle that was the spitting image of an 03 Springfield. It was all wood accept for the bolt action which was metal. It had a folding rear sight that was adjustable for range and looked just like the real thing. I had a lot of fun with that rifle as my friends and I played soldiers all the time.
Unfortunately I don’t know what ever happened to it.

7 Likes

“Johnny Seven One Man Army”

2 Likes

I’d completely forgotten about that. I really wanted one. Also, this:

4 Likes

The Fuzz! That’s a term I haven’t heard since my childhood! Thanks for the memories @Blacky

5 Likes

Sure miss my Howdy Doody cap gun and holster, used to watch Howdy Doody everyday. Can still hear the shows callout “hey kids, its Howdy Doody time” lol (early 60’s). Only rule was that I couldn’t wear it at the dinner table.

4 Likes

So unfair! I wasn’t allowed to wear my Skyhawk pilot helmet at the dinner table! (Not even with the visor up.)

2 Likes

Every child’s first gun:
[scope not included - actual gun may vary by individual - supplies limited to two per person ]

5 Likes

This was my favorite childhood gun:

My little brother and I would have shootouts with them in front of my Grandfather’s house. We would wait for some cars to go by first before going into our act, and we actually imagined that the people who saw would think it was real and that one of us got shot.

7 Likes

The original air soft!

Looking at this, I can vividly remember the feel of that plastic trigger and those BBs!

4 Likes

You’re right, it is kind of like an air soft gun isn’t it.

2 Likes

When I was growing up we had shootouts with Daisy BB guns. Only rule was no head shots. How no one lost an eye I’ll never know!

3 Likes

I had a classmate in High School who used to do that. He ended up taking a one in a million shot that split his cheek and left the BB embedded deep inside. I guess he didn’t tell his parents at first, but after it got infected and his cheek swelled he finally had to have surgery to have it removed. He brought it in to class in a glass jar. It was about an inch around with rust and tissue growth all over it. Really nasty looking.

1 Like

Oh yeah I was very lucky also. An IFAK in those days would have been useful on many occasions LOL

2 Likes

Have carved a BB or two out with a pocket knife! That’s when I found out we weren’t really bulletproof as we had assumed

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I had forgot about the 6 finger. Man!

1 Like

I had a J7. Went on many neighborhood patrols with it.

Oh yeah, LOL. OMG what would the reaction be now. We had cool stuff for sure

Had all sorts of cap guns as a kid, but I fondly remember my spud gun because it really shot a projectile of sorts. Mom was never impressed though when she found a lump of moldy and holey potato in my jeans pocket.

2 Likes

I had a plastic M14 that took 2 “D” batteries and would “rat-ta-tat-tat” all day long and was close to actual size. The muzzle end went in and out with each “Rat-ta-tat”, just like recoil. My position was NEVER over run!!! Dad got a kick out of it but my mother hated it. I could only play with it outside. BETTER THAN A DRUM SET!!

2 Likes