Threats made

Wire (barbed wire, netting wire, welded grid) is relatively economical.

A lot of people don’t find wire fencing attractive; it’s not always visible; it’s only formidable until someone cuts it; and wire alone is not very vandal-resistant. In some areas a DIY rail snake can be economical and work well with landscaping. Boulder barriers are effective — depending on location they might be very expensive or had for the cost of transport.

If facing on a public road, it’s important to know where and how the private property and public ROW come together. Trying to push fences or trespass signs out toward the edge of gravel or pavement could provoke more conflict if the deeded right-of-way is actually 30ft or 60ft from centerline, or some metes and bounds meander which could be considerably more — and the landowner would probably lose if the extent of their lot is not as far as they think.

2 Likes

@Gary_H, got to agree with techs, wire ugly.

1 Like

@techs, was thinking of a nice wooden post fence with wooden cross rails. Have been told though these crazy people steal the cross rails for firewood. :worried:

1 Like

Yeah, that would look nice. Different styles can be easy to break and some trouble to maintain or repair. Boards screwed or nailed on the face tend to split or just come apart at the fasteners. Post and mortise can be assembled end-to-end in a simple manner which makes replacing a broken board almost impossible.

I was thinking of a snake fence (or zig-zag or worm) which is fiddly but simple to assemble and repair, and run over any kind of terrain without a lot of prep or expertise. Rails can be any size from 3" x 6" up to house logs. The zig-zagging takes up some width, but that can add landscape opportunities if the yard is not too crowded. Whether that’s a practical solution depends on budget, materials available, and whether it fits with the aesthetics of your place. Google and YouTube have lots of videos about this technology, but do your own thinking — not every Dan’l Boone knows what he’s talking about…

I have also worked with double-post fences. More work to put all the posts in, but it has a narrower footprint with similar aesthetic and ease of maintenance. Driven T-post pairs are a lot less work than set wood posts if the appearance is acceptable.

I don’t know whether vandals can carry off long rails on their scooters, or would show up with a saw to buck them up. If they did, you would have a clearer complaint of criminal trespass and/or theft.

3 Likes

That’s thinking right out of the Sun Tzu box.
Create a problem for the vandals then fix it!
Arsonist firefighters just like this administration!

Maybe even substitute one of the double posts by hiding rebar inside a hollowed out post, should deter sawing!
I don’t think barbed wire is legal unless you own livestock! ( didn’t do the homework on that ).
You mentioned the unattractiveness of barbed wire, if it was my castle, like this one, I think it’s beautiful! Razor wire is certainly more attractive!

Upon further research, who knew you could get galvanized razor wire from Amazon w/ free 2 day shipping.

Now all you need is a ATV FREE ZONE sign! Or…

Who said there wasn’t an alternative to claymores, think I found a new hobby! I’m really tired of the bad guy always winning!

Are you a Game of Thrones fan? When all else fails, plenty of training videos! 10 years you’ve been suffering, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows Ramsey Bolton! LOL.

3 Likes

@Scott52 Yup! Most people just don’t get it. :us:

• 12-1/2 gauge barbed wire fencing
  • Galvanized low carbon steel zinc coated barbed wire offers durability
  • 5 in. between barbs
  • Premium 4 Point Barb Wire has a Class 1 zinc coating which meets or exceeds ASTM A-121 specifications, with sharp evenly spaced barbs
  • These barbed wire products come with an easy handle. This handle collapses inside the spool when the wire is stacked
  • To use, you simply pick up the handle and it securely hooks the spool when you are ready to lift the product
  • OLD FASHIONED GUARANTEE

NOTE: Brand may vary by store. Please check your Tractor Supply Company store for availability.

$79.99 for a 1379 ft. spool.

From an Old 12B.

2 Likes

Sorry brother. I’m looking into body cam, myself. I got one for the car, but wish to upgrade. Perhaps, some members herein can offer suggested body cameras which are better quality, we can wear on our front pockets – to show recorded video to our attorneys, the police, or our courts. If so, check wit the legalities of its use in your region. Wish you peace.

2 Likes

Ha-ha. Yeah. How far can you walk holding 60lb at arm’s length with one hand? “Simply pick it up” with the “easy handle” to heave spools in and out of the truck. Building a fence with it is a bit more complicated.

I have 2-1/2 miles of four-wire fence around my “yard”. Built or rebuilt two miles of it, and maintain it annually. Larger neighbors have 10s of miles to keep up. My family has gotten two emergency department visits out of the stuff; human trespassers zero. Also countless little scratches, infections, and torn clothing. In a dry climate, it is reasonably effective, reasonably economical, and kind of a hassle. If the neighbor kids get tangled up in it, the liability consequences might not play out as expected.

2 Likes

Seems a typical response from police. Of course, I wouldn’t expect them to post a guard all night. More frequent drive by’s would be nice but in reality as we all know, our security is our responsibility. Barricade the house as best you can and keep a loaded 12 gauge nearby.

2 Likes

@Scott52, like the sign but signs are getting to be a large cost here. They run them over, others they steal and throw in the near-by creek. Since the outside property security cameras are up and we can keep an eye on the signs not may have disappeared.

3 Likes

@Russ, Yes I agree they can’t be around 24/7 but their idea of more patrol is ride by once or twice every other day rather than before when we were told they’d only come to our area when called.
Head Sheriff explains they are very short handed on officers. Last quote was 18 less officers in the department. Also financial shortage, heck just two years ago they spent millions on building a new complex, and now don’t have the money to pay for officers to protect the people.

2 Likes

I guess a tiger trap would be out of the question or a moat with alligators.

3 Likes

@Karacal, well we do have panthers stoll by every once in awhile and the creek just 100 feet from the house does have gators every so often. Now if only I could train those critters I’d have it made.

2 Likes

Add chicken​:wink::rofl:

1 Like

You said you’re in Florida, if I have my statistics right, more than 2 million people carry legally! Just a guess but I’m sure half that carry illegally! So what are the chances that one of your vandals is carrying ( illegally)?

I think I just saw one of them draw down on you, probably get a faster response and at least a pat down of the perpetrators. So what do you think the chances are that one of them is carrying a firearm or drugs illegally?

Other than that, it seems we are out of legal options, only thing left is your imagination!

But before I go, maybe you can form a well regulated militia being necessary to the security…nah! Usually unsuccessful!

2 Likes

That pic reminds me of the movie Trading Places.

3 Likes

@Karacal, guinea hens, they make a good alarm system.

3 Likes

@Scott52, oh yes, very risky part of Florida here.
That’s all I need to say, right…

1 Like

How about calling Internal Affairs unit at the Sheriffs department and file a complaint, AND BE SURE TO PUSH IT HARD. If that doesn’t work write a letter to the editor of your local paper and get that published. You do not mention what state you live in, but in California the following law applies:

Under California Penal Code Section 422 PC, it is illegal to make criminal threats. This offense was previously called “ terrorist threats.

I agree with others here. Signs and security cameras first show due diligence. I disagree with LE if this has been ongoing for sometime that it is “just nuisance” activity. If it is happening to your neighbors also there is strength in numbers. Get them together and attend local, county board meetings as many times as it takes. Bring documentation, dates, video, list of damage and costs of repair. Particularly documented calls to LE. When and who responded if at all. Let them and the sheriff know if they do not take action to curb the problem you will take action come election time.
One other step is to report these law breakers to the DNR with license plate or registration numbers of the atv’s if you can get it from your cameras. The DNR has arrest and citation powers.
Good luck in the future.

5 Likes