This is the first time <member name> has posted — let’s welcome them* to our community!

them?

Instead of using the wrong pronoun every time, why not just repeat the member name?

What you are doing is awkward, grammatically incorrect, and would get you a rap on the knuckles from Mrs. Woodward (7th grade English teacher).

This comment would fall into the “small point” department if it were not for the insistence of the left that we all conform to their laws of pronoun usage; and your apparent acceptance of their demands.

Wow. Another one. Nobody really cares. (grammatically) Maybe you should have just introduced yourself first. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Apparently another one to add to my on-going list…

2 Likes

I think I’m lost, I thought this was a concealed carry forum, not the grammar and spelling forum?:wink: Sometimes hard to tell these days.

I’m not a grammar expert but think them works just fine in this case. Even though I generally dislike it when people try to divide everyone into “us” vs “them”.

4 Likes

Where was, in your complaint about grammar, the joke?

2 Likes

I’m a recovering grammar nazi, but I’m less bothered by the generic “they” than I am the loss of the plural verb “are” or the contraction “there’re.” I think I hear it dozens of times every day. “There’s a bunch of email in my inbox.” “There’s a lot of colors in the rainbow.”

3 Likes

If it was, we’d be a lot busier!

5 Likes

I don’t find it very amusing that I can’t use words like he, she (and now, apparently, them) without risking offending someone. Why I can’t use the OK symbol because a couple Hitler wannabes used it as a joke. Why I have to explain to my 6 year old son why people at school called him gay because his formerly favorite hat has rainbow colored stripes on it. Etc. etc.

I think most people here are tired of a particular poster who got lost on his way to the grammar forum. But I’m actually more tired of the thought police on all sides of the political spectrum succeeding in appropriating and weaponizing words and symbols to promote their agendas. It’s all pretty ridiculous to me. But not very amusing when being used to promote so much hate and division.

Rant off. Feel free to pick apart all the grammar and spelling errors in my post. I’m leaving them in for everyone’s enjoyment;)

8 Likes

I’m not convinced this was ever a real thing. The Salem KKKraft Trials reached a fever pitch during the last presidency, and the conspiracy theorists were finding white nationalism in every corner.

2 Likes

I don’t have a clear picture of where and when exactly the OK symbol became racist. Have just seen several stories over the past year on the internet and in the news where people got called out for using the symbol. In a couple of cases they seemed to be using it in a racist way. In other cases their intention was unclear and quite probably with the original meaning.

I used to use that symbol quite a lot. Now I just try to use the thumbs up though I’ve read that is offensive to people from some African and Middle Eastern countries.

Pretty soon we are going to run out of acceptable words and symbols. If we can’t communicate and work together then it is a lot easier for the tyrants to take control.

2 Likes

Darn, I’ve wasted all this money on guns and camo and all I needed to be called a cool commando was a keyboard?:wink:

I just want to protect my first amendment right to use the word them;) I find restating the persons name to be a bit redundant and them to be a lot easier and more inclusive than trying to use him/her/other. But I am obviously not a stickler on grammar. If I understand what someone is saying and they are not obviously trying to offend someone then I really don’t care how they say it.

Sorry I didn’t catch the humor in your post.

3 Likes

I did not take offense, I just don’t understand where the humor is that you claim is in your comment. Further, and I probably should have also posted it previously, what’s are you accomplishing by this thread? Many people make typos and grammar errors. Not everyone is/was an English major nor does everyone have English as a first language.

Because it is not Wednesday? :rofl:

4 Likes

Set to “Ignored”. :+1:

3 Likes

Being accepting has been replaced with being judgemental. We’re just calling it accepting now.

3 Likes

Don’t get me started on how everyone is redefining the meaning of words these days;) Starting with conservative and liberal,

2 Likes

I seriously doubt that the USCCA is using “them” in this case to bow down to the “pronoun “Nazis”. It beats having the program try to guess the appropriate and/or preferred gender specific pronoun based on a screen name. Using the old school generic him when gender is unknown seems unwelcoming to the already far too limited number of women in this group.

What would your preferred pronoun be for use by the USCCA in this instance since you find “them” so disturbing?

2 Likes

If they to be a part of them and they are having problems with them they should just except them for what they are or what they want to be Just give them a little credit so they can feel good about themselves and feel like a part of us so they can have their chance too

5 Likes

Welcome to our community :heart_eyes:.

2 Likes

That might work ok in this case though I find the redundancy unnecessary. More importantly I don’t think the best way to deal with certain groups issues with pronouns is to ban even more perfectly useful pronouns.

Stacy Smith puts Stacy Smith’s wallet in Stacey Smith’s pocket on Stacy Smiths way to Stacy Smith’s car. Ugh.

2 Likes

It? :rofl:
[Edit] shim? herimits? :sunglasses:

2 Likes