This is how it is supposed to work

Woman thwarts mass shooting by bringing grandson to hospital: authorities

This will never get the media attention it deserves. Every day a gun can save more lives than one takes. It didn’t even take a gun this time. All it takes is someone willing to take action and not worry about peoples feelings.

2 Likes

The mixed bag here is that he’s going to jail, not to a facility where he’ll get his mind sorted out. He broke the law in lying on his gun purchase, and that’s as it should be. But what are the chances that they address his mental health while hes there? Hes probably not coming out of there more sane and stable. And next time he may acquire his firearms another way, or not tell family members.

His grandmother did the right thing. I just hope we aren’t seeing him again later unless hes gotten real help.

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right he probably won’t, but that’s where the discussion should start. How to get people the help they need and if convicted of lying on the paperwork it should absolutely flag any future purchases.

There are no absolutes in life. We see that all over the world that people hell bent on doing evil with find a way to do it. Taking away peoples right and abilities to defend themselves from that evil is never the right answer.

1 Like

Depending on where he goes there are psychiatric and psychological services available.

Unfortunately it’s easier to put someone in prison than it is to put them in a mental institution.

1 Like

Lying on the application is a disqualifying federal crime.

Unfortunately there are very few prosecutions for either that or for those who knowingly attempt to try to purchase when they are ineligible.

There are literally only a handful of such prosecutions each year in spite of something like an average of around 80,000 violations.

2 Likes

I was just about to post this article, @Sheepdog556!

I cannot imagine how the grandmother felt turning in her grandson, but it’s got to be better than knowing he killed innocent people and you could have stopped it.

My heart and prayers go to this family.

1 Like

Not only that she probably saved his life. about 3/4’s of mass shooters die by their own hand or at the hands of police.

The whole thing had to be gut wrenching realizing her family had raised a monster but she has the satisfaction of knowing she most likely saved his life and the lives of many others.

1 Like

yeah, no happy endings here… I hope she can find solace in having done the right thing, and knowing she saved lives.

1 Like

At best it gives everyone a chance. And in reality that’s as good as it’ll ever get. It’s a hard reality but reality nonetheless

2 Likes

Better than I could’ve typed it.

3 Likes

Bravo! That is perfect.

1 Like

I love this guy and he knows how to communicate to, and identify with youth and minorities on a level most of us old, fat white guys and gal’s cannot.

2 Likes