Thinking About Switching to Appendix

I’m sad to say the new Vedder holster had a lot of wiggle in it, and I’m going to look into returning it or seeing if the next one is better. Love the light tuck design, my other light tuck is great, but this one bothers me some.

1 Like

I would recommend trying a wedge on the bottom of your holster, it will help with two things. One, it will help with some of the pressure you are experiencing and TWO, it will help conceal your pistol better. Quality and build of the holster matters. I have been carrying appendix for almost 12-13 years and have tried all sorts and brands. I have settled on the Tier One holsters as the best for me. I would check out their wedge packs either way. On a side not another aspect to consider if you are experiencing discomfort is when carrying appendix alot of people new to carrying this way and switching from OWB usually have their belt way to tight, try loosening your belt a little, not so much that it is unsafe or your pants feel saggy but just let it out a little. Here is a pic of my Tier One that came in today.

Here are a couple others I have, I have several more and some of the wedge pacs they sell.

4 Likes

I really want to try a tier 1, I just dont want to dish out $120 to try sometime I may not use. I may try the wedge. Lately I’ve been really happy with 3:00. It’s a compromise between 1 and 5. I get a quick draw but I can also draw discretely if necessary.

Haven’t fully given up on aiwb yet though. I may Velcro a gel sole wedge to one of holsters like @Scotty mentioned (I think it was different thread). If I commit to AIWB I will invest in a tier 1.

3 Likes

I went to appendix carry apprehensively years ago because of a shoulder injury which made carrying at my normal 3-4 o’clock position extremely painful. At that time appendix carry was not as popular as it is today. After taking classes with some early pioneers of appendix carry like Gabe Suarez of SuarezInternational , I came to the conclusion this is the way of carrying for me. Myself being a semi-professional sponsored shooter for years, I started analyzing draw times, ease of use, and the list goes on. I settled on carrying at the 12-1 o’clock position and with trial and error found that ALOT of little things matter in the long term comfort of carrying this way.

I tried almost all major makers appendix rigs and found MANY very uncomfortable to extremely painful, a couple to the extent I could only wear them for less than an hour and had to take them off. Over time, talking to instructors, students and watching videos I found for me that pant size, type of belt, tension of belt, padding or wedges on holster all added to the comfort of wearing in this position, so much so that now I can wear these style of holsters traveling in a vehicle seated for more than 18-19 hours without having to remove the holster. I wish you the best of luck in your appendix journey and hope you get to try out that Tier 1 or something similar.

3 Likes

I appreciate it,

The ease of access in a car is one of the seriously huge advantages I’ve seen to AIWB.

2 Likes

Having been in a couple road rage, attempted car jacking issues, appendix is another big plus when carrying for sure.

3 Likes

How is the g43 carry appendix1? I’m thinking of trying an appendix rig for shield 9, but I’ve also heard bigger guns are better aiwb.

1 Like

G43 works great appendix in the right holster.

The challenge with shorter barreled pistols (like a G43) is you are likely to get more “tip out” as the pistol pivots around the belt since there isn’t enough below the beltline to counter the amount above the beltline. This not only hurts concealment, but you are also more likely to have pain as it leverages the muzzle towards your body.

So a knowledgeable appendix holster maker will usually extend the kydex form out to a longer length. Both JMCK and Tier1 do this but they aren’t the only ones. They extend it out to approximately G19 length. My holsters for G43 and G26 are this way, there is just empty space out past the barrel for a half inch or so.

I’m not sure how short the Shield barrel is in comparison, but I would expect similar treatment if it’s less than 4" barrel. If you aren’t sure if a manufacturer does it, feel free to ask them they should know exactly what you’re talking about.

2 Likes

@Scoutbob the Glock 43 and the Shield are perfect appendix carry guns and with the right holster it will also be comfortable.

1 Like

I’m going to look into the JMCK, one thing I don’t like about tier 1 is how huge it is. That’s fine for carry, but locking it away would be a pain (usually lock up my carry gun and my HD gun in the same safe).

1 Like

Harvey, if I order an appendix specific holster, would you recommend it on a full size gun or a shield? (Conceal-ability will not be an issue either way.)? I know a middle of the line gun would probably be more ideal, but the only difference between an M&P compact and M&P full size is about half an inch on the butt of the gun.

I’m also thinking about getting an aiwb holster for my 5” M&P and EDCing the 4.25” based on what I’ve been seeing online. That way I have the option if I ever want too, but what I’m gathering is it’s typical for a G19 to be in the glock 34 mold.

1 Like

Oh for sure. Depending on the size of your safe and/or how you stash it. The side-car is perhaps double the width (more?) than a non-sidecar holster and may not fit in a regular bedside quick-access safe.

I mean, this really depends on you. I’m a fan of carrying the biggest firearm with the most capacity you can shoot reliably, accurately, and carry comfortably while remaining concealed. My answer is different from yours. And even on a day-to-day basis my answer changes.

Most of the time, a G26 is on me with a spare mag in pocket. But sometimes I need “more concealment” so I’ll run the G43 those times (sidecar or not depends on where I want my spare mag). And in winter with a sweatshirt on the G19 is an option (at the cost of more weight/bulk). If you can rock a fullsize M&P and you are good with the weight/bulk/concealment I don’t see why you wouldn’t. But I also understand the advantages of a really slim lightweight option (G43 for me, sounds like Shield for you) if you need it or want it.

That half-inch may not sound like much, but the difference in grip from a G26 → G19 on me is noticeable. The sidecar actually helps with concealment for me using the larger firearm because it balances out the “bulk” at my front. I’m a smaller guy, so YMMV on how much or little that 1/2" affects your concealment.

Generally speaking in appendix carry the barrel length doesn’t matter as much as the grip length does. So an extra 1/2" in barrel length won’t affect concealment but 1/2" in grip length can make or break your concealment.

Having options is King, IMO

Not sure what this part means… but Glock’s numbering system is based on the order in which they file their patents. So the Glock 17 was their 17th patent. Glock 19 was their 19th patent, etc. It has nothing to do with the size or caliber :smiley: You just sort of have to “know” what size each model is. I pretty much can only keep the 9mm sizes in my head.

4 Likes

I edited and translated it :rofl:.

Thank you for all of the information.
I’m leaning towards the the JMCK for reasons already mentioned. But Tier 1 does have a configuration that allows for unbuttoning the carrier, though I think I would want to remove the gun before unbuttoning it for me so it would ruin the point for me.

I actually like the length of the JMCK, but I also like the idea of the side car model flexing in the middle.

1 Like

Appendix carry is safe as long as you have a proper holster and did not play with the trigger…people always use the “youll shoot your junk off or hit your artery” as their excuse not to appendix carry, but facts are not on their side. Bottom line, carry the way you are comfortable with and in which you can easliy access your weapon and be sure to follow safe guidelins and youll be just fine!

1 Like

Still torn. I’m going to order one tonight. I’m leaning towards JMCK, but I’m still curious about the Tier 1. I’m leaning towards JMCK simply because it will fit in my already crowder quick access safe.

1 Like

With either one you get, make sure to order foam wedges!

A simple way to think about those two choices is the JMCK is smaller and less bulky. The Tier1 is larger and bulkier but includes a mag carrier.

(Note the bulk doesn’t mean less concealable)

I don’t think I would count on splitting the Tier1 apart when you want to have less bulk. Maybe ask their CS, but pretty sure it is designed to work as a sidecar which affects the clip placement and balance on the belt.

Ahhh, ok that makes more sense :smiley: I think G19 length is as short as you want to go, I’m not sure adding extra length adds too much, but I think Keepers (one of the OG appendix holster makers) is a big believer in the extra length.

2 Likes

The only thing I wish i could do with the the JMCK is tuck in without having to replace clips (I’m considering their loops). That being said, I can’t recall the last time I tucked in my shirt :joy::joy:.

Edit: it looks like the 2.0 with loops is tuckable, the the 2.5 is easier to put on but not tuckable…

1 Like

Are you happy with the plastic clips?

I was thinking of getting the loops with struts that are tuckable but I can’t find anything on them which makes me lean towards the plastic or metal clips.

1 Like

Just ordered a JM Custom. It was such a pain with all of the options into the holster, but I’m really excited for it. I’ve been researching these all day and all I have found was positive.

1 Like

@Scoutbob Plastic clips are GTG, they are tuckable in the 2.0 (I should have said which version i have, sorry about that).

Not sure what the appeal is on the loops except that some people like snaps? They are probably a bit slimmer than the plastic clips.

I found more info on those metal clips. Looks like they can be used like an ulticlip? Otherwise, just slimmer than plastic. Maybe more durable long-term since it is metal… Hmmm. I may be talking myself into ordering a pair.

I hope you got some foam wedges! (i order all Tier1 wedges for all my holsters now)

1 Like