Thinking About Switching to Appendix

I just grabbed some inexpensive gel pads from WMt. Some have a thicker section near the heel end and a thinner section near the toes. However, even with the thick end it is thinner than Tier 1’s “medium” wedge, although the foam will probably compress over time.

I haven’t tried mine with dress slacks. It might also make a difference if the slacks are pleated or straight, if the slacks are very lightweight or heavier, tight fit or loose, etc. You might have to experiment with your clothing setup. I wear loose fit jeans usually, so no issues for me with that.

If you want to experiment, just take some painters tape and temporarily tape something around 1/2-3/4" thick to the bottom of your holster (even a folded up piece of paper or paper towel) to see if it benefits you or not. Make sure the top of the wedge sits below your belt.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. The bottom of the muzzle is a few inches below the belt line so the wedge should be as well. I will give it a shot and see how it works out.

Thanks again.

1 Like

It’s all relative to what I’m wearing based on seasonality. I prefer to carry AIWB and do so most often.

2 Likes

@Scotty has you covered on the wedge advice, I concur with all of that.

“Usually” when carrying appendix the firearm will “tip out” at the top, the belt is the fulcrum or pivot point. Not only does this print more, but it also makes sure the muzzle pushes into your body which can be uncomfortable. So adding a wedge around the muzzle area solves both of those issues.

Can you add too much wedge? Absolutely. So it requires a bit of testing to see how much works for you.

4 Likes

This looks intriguing!

1 Like

Pic of it here →

1 Like

Thanks for tip.

1 Like

Glad to help and in my experience being taller does help especially with the bigger, longer barreled guns like my 1911s. I’m 6’ even about 190 lbs and I can carry a full size 1911 (can do a government but prefer Commander or Officer) appendix carry and that’s just about as big as I’ll go and still be comfortable.

1 Like

So I was carrying appendix tonight. Started to stand up and the holster put extreme pressure on my manly region, it was very painful…

Is this a common issue? Cause I cannot deal with that regularly :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ummm…I don’t think so. I have only been carrying AIWB a month or so now. Actually I carry more at the 2 position vs the 12 and zero issues so far.

1 Like

I can confirm that tier 1 holsters are the way to go… I can carry my full size vp9. You will want to get a good belt. I recommend the blue alpha edc, it’s rigid and easy to tighten or loosen as needed for comfort or concealment.

1 Like

I like my appendix. I think I’ll just keep it.

1 Like

Sounds like your holster is mounted too low.

2 Likes

Brother @Scoutbob, maybe try a different holster or instead of 12 o’clock try 1 o’clock position. Sometimes a small change like this might help.

1 Like

This. It doesn’t seem like it makes sense, but sometimes just a teeny tiny skootch to the left/right by a little bit can make a huge difference.

Are you using a wedge at all?

2 Likes

Serious question. How do you go pee in a public restroom with such a setup like John’s?

Is there a list of Tier 1 holsters? I definitely think I need a new holster.

1 Like

@Jason148, with a good solid belt the holster can ride higher by adjusting the clips.

I think the optimal solution would require an extreme step - sex reassignment surgery. At least you do it voluntarily rather than accidentally. Just say’n.

1 Like

Sorry, what I meant is that if the holster is connected on one side of the button and zipper and the mag carrier is connected to the opposite side, then you essentially have to take off the mag carrier then? Or am I missing something in how these types of holsters function.

1 Like

For sidecar holsters like the Tier 1 (mag & gun combo), you can zip down your fly pretty easily. In the event that your fly doesn’t quite go low enough (I have one or two pairs of pants that have this issue) you can unhook the holster and lift it up without totally taking it off.

For holsters that just have the firearm (see my JM Custom Kydex link above) you can usually just push them to the side.

1 Like