The realities of body armor effectiveness in civilian life

Hope you only get hit once that is all ceramic is good for

3 Likes

@Derek Hope I never get shot. This is one of the reason I chose these plates:

Multi-hit in exact same location - no bueno. They can take multi-hits, just not concentrated.

I have shot an “AR500” plate with 5.56 SS109 at 100 yds. and drilled holes right through it. Must have been the non-NIJ stuff.

2 Likes

Not sure if it got mentioned above, but this ShotStop looks pretty good.

I saw them on a video by Alien Gear, and I looked around and they have several other tests/reviews by various Youtubers. They appear to be NIJ certified for Level III but they have the “+” on several models. In particular, they caught my eye because of the light weight, and they also had some items for backpack use (for example school use). They are a bit pricey though. Anyone heard of them?

3 Likes

That’s not too bad. My AR500 Armor is quality, but took 17 weeks to deliver.

3 Likes

@MarineGrunt No insult intended about AR500. My neighbor claimed his target plate was made out of AR500. It was a little over 3/8" thick. He said my 5.56 wouldn’t scratch it at 100 yds. I felt a bit embarrassed when we collected the target. Good grouping of three holes through the plate.

3 Likes

@Harvey Nice looking plates. You were right about the price. Ouch. Much lighter, though.

2 Likes

I ordered an AR500 Armor concealment package right before the coronavirus hit. It took forever and a half to get here, but it did get here. I wear it under my clothes whenever I am out of the house. It shows under the back of my dress clothes, right under my neck. I figure that’s good enough.

I don’t have the money to actually shoot my armor to see how well it works. I got the level IIIA pads, and here’s hoping that I’ll never have to find out for sure!

4 Likes

Were you talking about their trauma pads?

2 Likes

No. I have those too, but their concealment package comes with what I suppose are more traditional bullet resistant pads. They call them Rimelig, whatever that is.

3 Likes

Oh gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Overall, do you like the armor?!

3 Likes

I do. It makes me sweat constantly, so I take it off at lunch to cool down, and before it was properly adjusted, it hurt my shoulder.

But overall, I don’t generally think much about it when it’s on.

3 Likes

My L3+ plates will stop 7+ Hits of 30-06 steel penetrator rounds. They are a little heavy, but worth it in the event of an enemy assault. (No, I’m not crazy…right?)

4 Likes

@MarineGrunt That is some punishment. Check the NIJ standards out here:

Here is the AR500 Chart (from their website):

3 Likes

The test was not an “official” test, and was done by a third party. But still…impressive. While technically a L3+ plate it takes quite the abuse.

4 Likes

Talk about an early Christmas this week, Monday I get a call saying my tax stamp was approved. This morning, while stumbling out to my jeep I saw a box sitting by my garage door. ShellBack arrived!

7 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

Nice! How do you like it?

4 Likes

This is mine. (Disregard the double chin)

6 Likes

@MarineGrunt Fresh out of the box:

Looks like I got upgraded plates. From the 1155s to the 4S17s. That takes the weight of each plate from 8.2 lbs. to 7.3 Lbs. Got the plates installed and shoulder straps adjusted. The weight is not bad for an old geezer like me. Man do I hate new Velcro. Definitely not field ready. I’m considering taking the additional pouches and building a battle belt. Keep a couple of pistol and rifle magazines on the carrier and the rest on the battle belt. Thoughts?

6 Likes

That’s probably your best bet! I always keep a spot for a knife on my vest, but yours is looking good!

3 Likes