The realities of body armor effectiveness in civilian life

The most overall ‘fit’ I’ve ever been came years after getting out of the corps. For many years I was up at 0400, spent 1-2 hours at the gym and biked at least 10-20 miles every week day. On weekends I did at least one 50-60 mile ride. The end result was about 175 lbs @ ~11% body fat. With kids, job, and life there was about a 10 year break from that routine and you do loose it quick. Now in my mid 50s, I’m still up early but even an hour a day sometimes feels like it breaks more than it fixes. Hell, I literally ‘busted a gut’ a couple of months ago (not sure if it was on the incline bench or moving a safe). But, if you really want to start to feel your age, try holding your own guts in just to do situps on a horizontal incline bench…

So to bring this back to body armor…wrap a soft vest or a cumberbun just a little tighter and it’ll help to hold your guts in… :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

6 Likes

nods in agreement

Fantastic advice!

5 Likes

Can you wear a cumberbun with blue jeans? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Semi casual-formal… yes

4 Likes

I have a Carrier with Level IV plates. To me they are like insurance. If I have and never need it’s much better than to need and not have.

Everyone be safe.

5 Likes

See what y’all did? I got armor now! Actually it is quite comfortable to wear. I got the " concealable" armor not the level 3 plates. Reminds me of my flack jacket from the Marines. I still do not have a Kevlar helmet with night vision.

3 Likes

Get ready for multi-month waits for a good quality PVS if your buying new now and not LE / agency.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more @MarineGrunt
I work security for a church, and in today’s climate I will not lock the building without my EDC and IIIA+ armor. And no, my church doesn’t have restrictions on carrying firearms.

I appreciate all of these posts and topics. This is a great place to be!

4 Likes

I have my Kevlar helmet. Didn’t think about the night vision. Probably couldn’t have gotten away with it anyway. They had serial numbers. :rofl: :joy: :smirk: jk

4 Likes

Does anybody know what the USCCA / legal thoughts are on body armor? I know in a couple of the places I have lived they either wanted to, or did, outlaw it for all but military and LE. Maybe there is a thread I could read? Not that Armor or night vision are affordable, but I’ve long been curious since I lived in those places.

4 Likes

@DS-1 A couple of links to get you started:

5 Likes

Ah, thanks! much appreciated.

3 Likes

Thank you for that info brother.

3 Likes

@Virgil_H This is the kit I ordered:

5 Likes

I like the name of the company. That is awesome sir.

3 Likes

@Virgil_H Long delivery time. 9 weeks and waiting. Like waiting for tax stamp approval. They do have some kit available for immediate delivery:

3 Likes

Is that steel or ceramic?

3 Likes

I’ve got a bulletsafe vest myself, and I love it. It’s a great price, and you can work out a payment plan, and get your gear immediately! Tons of options!

3 Likes

Thanks @Jeff-A1

3 Likes

Poly encapsulated ceramic. I’m old and don’t want the weight of steel. Warranty is 10 yrs. Enough time…

3 Likes