The Hunt: Ammo

SGammo just listed a decent assortment of defensive ammunition.

1 Like

I found 50 rounds of Federal Tactical HST hollow point, $50 for 50 rounds. It was in the next state over, but I was getting some gun training, so got a box. Wish I had gotten 2 now.

1 Like

The HSTs are my go to SD round in 9mm. Luckily I bought a case a couple years ago when ammo prices bottomed out and still have some left over. Think it came out to 40c/round back then. But $1/round for quality SD rounds is a great buy these days!

2 Likes

I know, I was almost to the point of throwing my Glock mags at the target! Glad I was able to get enough to load a few more mags.

4 Likes
1 Like

I have had a real hard time finding ammo, especially 380 Hollow Point, Self defense or fmj. Also .40 and 45. I am retired LEO who keeps my LEOSA and USCCA up to date but I am barely able to find ammo to qualify for my LEOSA. Even many LE departments have problems keeping enough Range ammo. Need a minimum of 50 rounds each time. I was able to find ample ammo for my rifles late last year so I am okay there. Most of the places around where I live limit to one or two boxes, mix or match, of handgun ammo and I have not seen a 50 round box in ages. Is anyone else having this problem?

1 Like

@David885 , welcome to the Community.

Unfortunately local stores are mostly out of ammo. My Range has ammo reserved for classes, so I cannot complain. :slightly_smiling_face:

However when I need more, I go online. This is the unlimited source of ammo. The prices are also not too bad, if I do patient search.

3 Likes

I know there are plenty of places online to pick up range rounds in .40 and .45, but they seem to be pretty expensive. I can’t say for .380, as I don’t own one and don’t look for it. I usually check the manufacturer websites that sell from their sites like CCI and Federal. For example:

I just sort by top sellers, then availability (for whatever reason if you set initially to availability, it doesn’t always put available to the top).
Good luck.

1 Like

These guys just listed a significant amount of 9mm. https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/40-cal-ammo

1 Like

At ammo.com

1. Red Army Standard 7.62x39 Ammo - 1000 Rounds of 122 Grain FMJ Ammunition

18In stock now

Submit A Review

Image of Red Army Standard 7.62x39 Ammo - 1000 Rounds of 122 Grain FMJ Ammunition

$390.00Price

• Made by Red Army Standard
  • 1000 Rounds
  • 39¢ Cost Per Round
  • 122 Grain
  • FMJ Bullet
  • Discount Steel
  • New Condition
  • Steel Casing
  • Berdan
  • Red Army Standard SKU AM3092
  • UPC R012120205682
2 Likes

Welcome to the community @David885. We are glad to have you!

The heavy hitters. Better move fast. Some other premium defensive stuff there too.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/hornady-ammo-sale/25-round-box-9mm-luger-p-135-grain-hornady-critical-duty-flexlock-hollow-p

2 Likes

Those look like a really good round out of 4” and longer barrels. Would pick some up myself if I didn’t have a good supply of other options.

2 Likes

I’m out of space too. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s out there. Takes more patience & due diligence now in matching caliber with price point but assure you it’s possible.

A matter of trivia.
I found some Gold Dot .38 Special 153 Grain hollow points at my local shop yesterday, first time in 3-4 months BUT I couldn’t bring myself to paying $65.00 a box.

2 Likes

Was that for a box of 20 or 50?

1 Like

First they were 135 grain not 153, my bad.
It was a box of 50 .38 Spcl +P.

2 Likes

Assumed that was what you meant on the weight. $1.30ish/round for Gold Dots is about the best you are going to do these days. I do miss the days of 50 cents/ round for good self defense ammo. Glad I stocked up back then!

4 Likes

Proving another 9mm to run Hornady CD. This is gonna cost me. I’ll just tell the kids they will like community college…

4 Likes